Trailer weight

geraldlanc

Reaction score
I located a pull behind for a good price, it weighs 150 pounds empty. Is that too heavy, I have seen some at half that price?

Gerald

150 lb. is a good weight. I was told many years ago not to go over 20 to 25% of your Bike's stock weight.

What you need to watch is the Tongue Weight. Try to balance your load to keep the Tongue Weight 50lb or less.

I also cross my Safety Chains under the Tongue. In other words, I hook the chain that is secured to the left side of the Tongue and go under to the right side of the Hitch. Then take the chain secured to the right side and go under the tongue to the left side of the hitch. Hope that makes sense.

150#s is light for a pull behind. I had a Can Am RT622 trailer that I pulled with my former Spyder. It weighed 250#s empty. Carrying capacity was 150#s for a gross maximum weight of 400#s. I found the trailer handled best with 18-20#s tongue weight. I have an inexpensive fish weight scale that I used to check tongue weight with. As big as my trailer was, I don't think I ever had more that 75-100#s cargo...... Jim

This is one of several reasons I was interested in trailer weights too. This camper/trailer is particularly appealing to me as I want to get out and travel my home state of Texas a good deal more now that I'm retired and am having Randy build me a new GW Trike with a CSC kit. Color me impressed. It might take me awhile to use it enough to offset paying for it v/s staying at decent hotels when out on the road travelling. Especially these days where it costs between $90 on the low end to about $165 a night or so on the slightly upper end here in Texas. I tend to favor Fairfield Inn and its caliber of hotel.

New_Solace_Tent_Angled_Side_View_ironed__07448.146_3__35834.1493342582.1000.1200.jpg

Weighs 350#and has a tonged weight of 20# the company says. Looks very acceptable. I like. Link to: https://theusatrailerstore.com/solace-motorcycle-camping-trailer/

6CFD14C4-9D21-4E87-9301-7267C572F1CA.jpg

I pull a Kwik Kamp with 1500 goldwing trike. Bout the same tongue and trailer weight as the one you have pictured. Never had a problem or a pucker moment after approximately 100,000 miles.

5B0103F6-E002-4DBF-80EE-7E7ACECC0134.jpg

A pic with Kwik Kamp and 1500 and my wife on one of our road trips. Just a note to consider. If you purchase a camping trailer l would suggest getting one designed to access the luggage compartment on in the trailer without having to (unload or setup)the camper.

Several designs require luggage to be strapped to the top of the trailer or require you to remove the top/cover of the trailer to get to your luggage and in some designs you have to actually set the camper up to get to your luggage. The trunk/storage area on the design l have can easily be accessed by simply raising the lid that the bed and canvas is attached to. :wave4:

View attachment 97070

A pic with Kwik Kamp and 1500 and my wife on one of our road trips. Just a note to consider. If you purchase a camping trailer l would suggest getting one designed to access the luggage compartment on in the trailer without having to (unload or setup)the camper.

Several designs require luggage to be strapped to the top of the trailer or require you to remove the top/cover of the trailer to get to your luggage and in some designs you have to actually set the camper up to get to your luggage. The trunk/storage area on the design l have can easily be accessed by simply raising the lid that the bed and canvas is attached to. :wave4:

Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it.

I have pulled an Aspen Classic camper with mine for thousands of miles with no issues. The dry weight of it is 324lbs. Then add in your camping supplies and you easily go north of 400lbs. The key is to distribute the weight so the axle takes the most weight and keep tongue weight at about 15% of total weight. So at lets say 425lb, keep the tongue weight at around 60lbs.

20180604_160707.jpg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png