Front Axle Torque Spec

dthorn

40+ Posts
Aug 26, 2020
thornell
HI all

I will be getting my 2017 tri glide out of storage soon. I stored it at my local HD dealer. While it was there over the winter, I had a new front tire and front and back brakes replaced. I know that after about 100 miles I need to check the rear lug nuts. I already check them 3 or 4 times a season and know that torque spec (90 lbs. -100 lbs.) by heart. Its been a couple of years since I checked the front axle torque.

I remember the front axle as being 70 lbs. to 75 lbs. and the pinch nut 18 lbs. to 22 lbs. But I am not sure as my memory isn't quite what it used to be. I would like to check the front axle after about 100 miles when I check the rear lug nuts. It would be much appreciated it someone can confirm my numbers or if my mind has let me down to give me the correct ones. Thanks all

David

Looked it up in service manual and you are correct on both. However the front axle has a castle nut with a cotter pin to keep it from loosening. No need to check it unless you just want to verify that your dealer did it correctly.

Thanks

I plan on checking it. 2 years ago I had the same dealer put a new front tire on it. When I would get above 40 mph on a smooth rode the front end started bouncing for a lack of a better description. I went home pulled cotter pin and checked the torque spec. Dealer had tightened it to around 57 lbs. I then tightened it to wear it was suppose to be and took it for another ride. It rode perfect. So I will check behind them again. Thanks again for looking that up in your service manual. I need to one of them. Can you tell me where you brought yours?

David

Well that's a great idea especially since you had a problem previously. Good idea and I'll definitely follow it when I get anew tire installed (if I don't pull the wheel myself which I've been known to do).

I bought my manuals from my local Harley dealer. I only use the factory manuals and always purchase the service manual (which includes everything common to both two wheelers and trikes) , the trike supplemental service manual (which covers trike specific things that don't apply to two wheelers) and the trike parts manual. There is no supplement for the parts manual. The one for the trikes includes all parts for trike models. I like to have the parts manual because the drawings seem to be better than those in the service manuals. I like to study the various parts as I read about them to get a better feel of how things go together. Sometimes the written word instructions seem a bit confusing when I'm dealing with new or unfamiliar items. And if I need something I can shop for it online or from my dealer and I'm confident I'm getting the right part.

Check you owner's manual. It will give you the part numbers for the manuals for your model year.

There is also a site where you can purchase and download 'official' Harley manuals in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format: https://motorcycle-manual-download.com/

I have the full paper set for my 2018 TG and since not all that much has changed on my 2020 except for ABS, traction control and the newer Boom Box I've not purchased manuals for it. I wouldn't work on those new items anyway. However I did purchase the 2020 parts manual from the online site. It is the very same as the paper manual.

I bought my manual from my dealer after a little haggleing with him, they have doubled in price since I bought my 2016 manual, they are wanting $120 for a manual now a days, they are cheaper at some harley dealers that sell online, I got mine for the price of this dealer online, no longer in business either, get the trike supplement also.

All for now Trampas

P.S. I have heard some on here just download it from somewhere and then they print out what they need to work on which sounds good, I didn't know that when I bought my manuals and if I did, I forgot, old age is not that great LOL:D

Gotta have them if you want to work on them. Considering the cost of the Manual is approximately the cost of one hour of labor they are a real deal :good: Travel safe Fred

I bought all the manuals for mine about a month after I bought the Trike. Now I just gotta get some tools I don't have at home. Most of my tools are at work since I do industrial maint.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greggstriglide

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greggstriglide
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png