Powerful enough?

Reaction score
I am in the process of researching Tri Glides. I sold my Harley Road King an the search is on for a trike. I rented a 2020 Tri Glide and loved it! I have had people tell me to get the 114ci engine and to avoid the 107 and 103 because they lack power needed when riding 2-up. Anyone care to offer their opinion, I would appreciate it. Or, is the difference from a 114 and 107 even noticeable?

Jim.......Welcome to Trike Talk.......:wave4:.....

Jim, I had the 2011 [103] And the 2017 [107]....I now have the 2019 [114]...And the 114 is more powerful than both of them..

Back in 2016 I went from a Ultra (103cu) to my first trike (103cu). We did a lot of 2up riding and I noticed a little difference. But I got used to judging when I could make a pass and when I could not. Our combined weight was around 360 pounds and the torque and power on the 103 trike was just "okay" in my opinion.

Never owned a 107 so I can't really comment.

Got my 2019 with the 114 and there was a lot of difference in the torque and motor in general. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a trike with the 103, but I guess my feeling is the 114 is a much better match for a 1200 pound machine.

The M8 motor introduced in 2017 is much more powerful than the Twin Cam motors. 17 and 18 were 107. 19 forward has been 114. Had an 18 and now a 20. Either will be fine two up. Both mine were/are bone stock and no problem at all passing, riding in mountains, etc.

I am in the process of researching Tri Glides. I sold my Harley Road King an the search is on for a trike. I rented a 2020 Tri Glide and loved it! I have had people tell me to get the 114ci engine and to avoid the 107 and 103 because they lack power needed when riding 2-up. Anyone care to offer their opinion, I would appreciate it. Or, is the difference from a 114 and 107 even noticeable?

I just went from a 2016 Tri to a 2020 Tri. Difference of nite & day. 20 is stronger, shifts smoother & to me,seems to run cooler. Motor seems to be not as loud either. I have 9000 on it & love it. I have added the Pro Action 14" shocks,(same as I did on the 16) for a much smoother ride. Good luck on your decision. To me there is NO comparison between 103 & 114. Bill

Hi Jim, Welcome to Trike Talk

I would say to ride both trikes, then decide

I had a 103 Freewheeler, it was good even 2 up

I now have a 17 Freewheeler 107 that is even better

I recently rode a new 114 Freewheeler, it seemed to have more guts;)

I have a 2018 that has been converted to 114 with the Harley EPA compliant torque cam. It really didn't come alive until warranty expired and I tuned with with and FP3, the tune with the Harley tuner was shiite.

While there is plenty of oomph with the 114, keep in mind that the thing weighs 1200 pounds before you even put a foot on it, so it will feel like a dog compared to the RK....

YMMV

Lon

Plenty of Power

I have a '21 and mostly ride 2 up. The engine has plenty of power. I came from an 01 Road King and this thing would blow it away. I am satisfied with the power available.

Welcome, if you can afford it go with the 114. Additionally I believe 19’s or later for the better shocks as well. Personal taste on suspension, but the new shocks to me are light years ahead of the air shocks, had both. Another note, the 21’s have a new ecm and exhaust sensors and the factory is still ironing out a few bugs with the new system. Screaming Eagle has released some tune for the 21’s, aftermarket probably another month or so if you are so inclined, lol. The warranty police will chime in, lol. Best of luck on your choice.

Wow! Thanks to everyone that has replied. I’ve decided to dig deep in my pockets...for every last penny and get a 2021 Tri Glide. This forum is an awesome resource. Thanks again for all the input. Once I get one in my garage, I’ll put an update on here. Ride safe!!!

Wow! Thanks to everyone that has replied. I’ve decided to dig deep in my pockets...for every last penny and get a 2021 Tri Glide. This forum is an awesome resource. Thanks again for all the input. Once I get one in my garage, I’ll put an update on here. Ride safe!!!

ThumbUp-------

Awesome, we will be waiting on the pics;)

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png