Is turbo charging a good idea?

Reaction score
I did a search and did not find a lot of information on the subject. A web search found this company and a video but that was about all the information I could find. Anyone here have any experience with turbos on HDs? Thanks!

As turbos raise engine temps, unless you have some serious cooling mods , it may not be a great idea.

I would think a supercharger might work better as it doesn't require the engine to be "spun up" to perform.

Trask Performance makes a number of complete kits to turbocharge a Harley. Kevin, a friend of mine, used to work with them when he lived in AZ before moving to FL. He had two Harleys with turbos; his Geezer Cruiser Ultra and a truly rad FXR that was a project bike for Trask (300 HP, sub-9 sec. 1/4 mile!). He almost had me convinced to turbo my trike, but I never pulled the trigger. It was about $5K, included turbo, air-air intercooler, complete SS exhaust and a preprogrammed ThunderMax ECM (this costs extra). Performance numbers are truly impressive, but it goes without saying that your warranty is gone.

turbo

Trask Performance makes a number of complete kits to turbocharge a Harley. Kevin, a friend of mine, used to work with them when he lived in AZ before moving to FL. He had two Harleys with turbos; his Geezer Cruiser Ultra and a truly rad FXR that was a project bike for Trask (300 HP, sub-9 sec. 1/4 mile!). He almost had me convinced to turbo my trike, but I never pulled the trigger. It was about $5K, included turbo, air-air intercooler, complete SS exhaust and a preprogrammed ThunderMax ECM (this costs extra). Performance numbers are truly impressive, but it goes without saying that your warranty is gone.

I had a 2005 Vrod sc turbo Before I bought the trike, All I can say is hold on to the handle bars, You wil lay rubber in the first 4 gears, the only heat you will get will be from the exhaust pipe, It took me about 10 hours to install it, then a nother 4 days to program it and a lot of phone calls to Trask where I got it from It cost $5000.00 for mine. but your eyes will truly light up ones you get it going.

I had a 2005 Vrod sc turbo Before I bought the trike, All I can say is hold on to the handle bars, You wil lay rubber in the first 4 gears, the only heat you will get will be from the exhaust pipe, It took me about 10 hours to install it, then a nother 4 days to program it and a lot of phone calls to Trask where I got it from It cost $5000.00 for mine. but your eyes will truly light up ones you get it going.

I installed a Trask Turbo system on a stock 2013 "103" Harley Davidson Touring bike with a Champion Trike Kit.

All I can say is a modified 2 wheel 114 Harley would have a hard time keeping up.

Horse power is a slippery slope.....

At what point do you exceed the capacity of the transmission, rear axle, the rest of the drivetrain, the brakes......

I've got a 131 on my Tri-Glide and I have to be careful coming out of a corner. Too much throttle and the front end gets light and I start to go straight instead of turn.....

A turbo sounds like it'd be a whole bunch of fun though....

:)

Chuck

I will try not to be a "Debbie Down'rrr" here, BUT that Turbo will also maybe cost you your license as well, We all know darn well, that if you got it , your going to use it....and right around that corner will be a traffic officer, with a radar gun in one hand and a book of tickets in his other hand...........

BUT I honestly believe, that the voices, I hear, in my head "deep down inside" that, it would be a total blast to open up that Turbo, on occasions, and let it all hang out.......... Yeppppp Peeeee!

Ronnie

OK Turbo wins! Gotta have it!

I will try not to be a "Debbie Down'rrr" here, BUT that Turbo will also maybe cost you your license as well, We all know darn well, that if you got it , your going to use it....and right around that corner will be a traffic officer, with a radar gun in one hand and a book of tickets in his other hand...........

BUT I honestly believe, that the voices, I hear, in my head "deep down inside" that, it would be a total blast to open up that Turbo, on occasions, and let it all hang out.......... Yeppppp Peeeee!

Ronnie

OK Turbo wins! Gotta have it!

My need for speed ends when my fear of dyeing overcomes the need...

But i would like to get to how fast i want to go to as fast as i can get to as fast as i want to get to it...:D.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I've been considering a 131 kit for my Tri-Glide.

I've been getting a LOT of cons about doing it.

You're the first person that I know that has done one.

What do you think of it?

How reliable do you feel the build will be for long distance touring?

Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Horse power is a slippery slope.....

At what point do you exceed the capacity of the transmission, rear axle, the rest of the drivetrain, the brakes......

I've got a 131 on my Tri-Glide and I have to be careful coming out of a corner. Too much throttle and the front end gets light and I start to go straight instead of turn.....

A turbo sounds like it'd be a whole bunch of fun though....

:)

Chuck

turbo

I installed a Trask Turbo system on a stock 2013 "103" Harley Davidson Touring bike with a Champion Trike Kit.

All I can say is a modified 2 wheel 114 Harley would have a hard time keeping up.

IF YOU ADD A Trask Tubo TO YOUR BIKE YOU WILL PICK UP ANY WHERE FROM 40 TO 65 HP. to your bike depends on what motor you have in it. A lot of bucks to play hard.

IF YOU ADD A Trask Tubo TO YOUR BIKE YOU WILL PICK UP ANY WHERE FROM 40 TO 65 HP. to your bike depends on what motor you have in it. A lot of bucks to play hard.

Have you ever installed one?

Your estimated HP gain numbers are low and you left out torque.

Sound like fun, however ...........

Are the the gains in hp/tq justifiable once all costs are figured in ? There is a formula used by tuners when doing a build. The other issue to me would be do you have deep enough pockets to cover any powertrain issues ? Be they mechanical or electrical. I would sure hate to be a thousand or so miles from home and suffer a catastrophic failure. Not saying it would happen, there is still that unknown element.

l. I would sure hate to be a thousand or so miles from home and suffer a catastrophic failure. Not saying it would happen, there is still that unknown element.[/QUOTE]

that can happen riding a bicycle :)

A bicycle is a lot less expensive to repair. I'm not saying don't do it. It would be a hoot. On a trike used for long distance travel it is not something I'd be comfortable with. I used to performance mod the crap out of my Harleys and 2 stroke mc's when I was younger. That was long ago. :)

turbo

Have you ever installed one?

Your estimated HP gain numbers are low and you left out torque.

I installed one on a 2005 v-rod 1250cc before the turbo Iwas getting 112hp and 100 torgue, after the turbo was installed we got 158 hp. 138 toruge All you have to do is call trask up and ask them. You will not double your Hp. with a turbo.

I installed one on a 2005 v-rod 1250cc before the turbo Iwas getting 112hp and 100 torgue, after the turbo was installed we got 158 hp. 138 toruge All you have to do is call trask up and ask them. You will not double your Hp. with a turbo.

Thing is, the V-rod was shaft drive and designed as a street legal hot rod mc. I believe the issue here is the longevity of the belt drive on a Tri over time.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png