1999 valkyrie trike

Reaction score
Help. Inherited a 99 valkyrie with a california side car conversion. The previous owner always told me to keep the air up in the shock, otherwise the left wheel would rub the trim. Come to find out there is only 1/2 inch clearence on left side, and 1 3/4 on right side wheel. Is this just a sloppy install, and is there any way to adjust it so both wheels have the same clearance. Thanks for any help in advance.

California Sidecars have one Shock absorber installed horizontally between the tops of the rear suspension arms. Unless there is something broken or worn out, the suspension should be level. It sounds to me like the body was not properly installed. One way to check it is to measure the height of your trike from a fixed point from one side to the other.

A good point of measurement is your seat bolt holes. Make sure they have an even measurement from center-line to ground. Another thing to look at is tire wear. If they are wearing evenly and flat, the suspension should be good. If tire wear is not a problem and basic trike attitude is OK then it is most likely a body installation issue. Hope this helps some. Good luck..... Jim

California Sidecars have one Shock absorber installed horizontally between the tops of the rear suspension arms. Unless there is something broken or worn out, the suspension should be level. It sounds to me like the body was not properly installed. One way to check it is to measure the height of your trike from a fixed point from one side to the other. A good point of measurement is your seat bolt holes. Make sure they have an even measurement from center-line to ground. Another thing to look at is tire wear. If they are wearing evenly and flat, the suspension should be good. If tire wear is not a problem and basic trike attitude is OK then it is most likely a body installation issue. Hope this helps some. Good luck..... Jim

Prior to the IRS version in 2001, CSC built solid axle conversions. I had several for sale in the shop in the early 2000's. They were of a wider wheel-track than a Lehman but shared the same basic under-structure designs of a Champion and Lehman.

suspension.JPG

Help. Inherited a 99 valkyrie with a california side car conversion. The previous owner always told me to keep the air up in the shock, otherwise the left wheel would rub the trim. Come to find out there is only 1/2 inch clearence on left side, and 1 3/4 on right side wheel. Is this just a sloppy install, and is there any way to adjust it so both wheels have the same clearance. Thanks for any help in advance.

Tom, Welcome to Trike Talk from West Virginia.:wave4:

The rear axle may have shifted or the body frame or body might be mis-aligned. If you can figure out where the mishap has occurred, body on frame, wheel offset or rear shift, 1" clearance should stop the body rub and you can equalize and soften the rear shock.:D

Thanks for all the help. I guess I need to ask if it's easier to shift the axle to center it in the wheel wells, or to shift the body.

Tom.........Welcome to Trike Talk.......:clapping:...

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png