Parking Brake Stuck Want to buy but not sure

burgman

Feb 20, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio USA
So I have been looking at You Tube before I buy a Spyder RT of a Sea and Sky. Then I saw this video on the parking break getting stuck and it will not dislodge getting people stuck to the point they need to get under the bike and take the parking break off. Not sure if it is happening on 2020 or 21 models and was hoping they have a fix for it? The models they were talking about was 17, 18 and 2019 model years.

Is this still an issue with the 2020 and 2012 models. Man I would hate to spend 30K and have an issue like this getting stuck away from home.

So I have been looking at You Tube before I buy a Spyder RT of a Sea and Sky. Then I saw this video on the parking break getting stuck and it will not dislodge getting people stuck to the point they need to get under the bike and take the parking break off. Not sure if it is happening on 2020 or 21 models and was hoping they have a fix for it? The models they were talking about was 17, 18 and 2019 model years.

Is this still an issue with the 2020 and 2012 models. Man I would hate to spend 30K and have an issue like this getting stuck away from home.

If that happens you just have to reach up under the floor board and pull down on the manual release.....That said if that's the only reason you wont buy a particular vehicle just Google parking brake getting stuck......And before you can even finish typing in Can-am you'll see at least a half dozen different vehicles that you might not buy...:Shrug:.

I'm not sure about a manual release under the floorboard. My 2014 RTL did not have that. The brake on mine was activated electronically by pushing the brake switch. From what I understand if there is a glitch in the parking brake system such as an electrical switch failure, you need to manually disconnect the brake cable at the rear wheel. Pretty simple operation and takes only a couple (8mm I believe) wrenches and about 2 minutes of your time. Having said that, I never experienced brake lock-up and wouldn't make it a reason to not buy the product..... Jim

Parking Break Stuck Want to buy but not sure

I know all about getting stuck on the road as I had two trikes. Now I want to upgrade to a Spyder but after looking at the guys who have had issues with the electronic break holding the back tire on trips even just going to the store that is a concern. The guys that have the issues had them on 2018 and 2019 models. I hope that the 2021 or 22 models the fix has been figured out. Some issues on the older bikes were not resolved and if they were it took months. That would be not good if we have plans for the summer and can't ride the trike anywhere.

I will look at the break issue here on this forum and on Google and see if that issue has been resolved on the newer models.

Thanks

I know all about getting stuck on the road as I had two trikes. Now I want to upgrade to a Spyder but after looking at the guys who have had issues with the electronic break holding the back tire on trips even just going to the store that is a concern. The guys that have the issues had them on 2018 and 2019 models. I hope that the 2021 or 22 models the fix has been figured out. Some issues on the older bikes were not resolved and if they were it took months. That would be not good if we have plans for the summer and can't ride the trike anywhere.

I will look at the break issue here on this forum and on Google and see if that issue has been resolved on the newer models.

Thanks

I would not say that you would be “upgrading” from a trike to a Spyder. Each beast has its own sterling qualities and personalties and are quite different from each other.

If you haven’t test ridden a Spyder already I suggest you absolutely do this before you commit to a purchase as the ride and handling are TOTALLY different from a trike... a lot of people do NOT like the Spyder’s steering sensitivity. This might just be the key to helping you make a decision.

Best of luck to you and keep us informed... we like to hear what others are doing with their riding lives.

The Spyder parking brake is electrically actuated. Sometimes electric things fail. And then people complain about poor quality, blah, blah, blah. But they sure don't say how well they treated the bike. Could be they just washed down all the electrical switches and sensors at a high pressure car wash.

I will suggest that the Spyder parking brake system has operated millions of times without failure. When riding I would use mine often. It would get set at stop lights so I could stand up and stretch. Every break, every meal, every fuel stop, etc. etc. Never any problem. And IF there was an electrical system failure, there is ONE bolt that is easily accessible that needs to be removed and your back on the road.

I do not consider that to be a "stranded away from home" problem. I am not trying to be disrespectful. Just offering my best advice. I think you are making a very rare and insignificant glitch into a problem that could keep you from enjoying what the Spyder has to offer. Good luck with whatever you decide..... Jim

You may or may not have problems with any motorcycle, they are not Fords or Chevys that build millions every year with offices full of engineers. Ya buy a motorcycle because it's a motorcycle, and you deal with it. My wife and I have had 4 Spyders and none of them have had that problem you speak of. I know it's out there, as I am on spyderlovers.com, and I know what to do if it happens, but we just get on our bikes and enjoy the day and our trips. We keep our bikes well serviced with quality mechanics (always a the best option) and don't worry about what may happen. We have towing covered if necessary, but that is no different from when I had Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki 2 wheelers for 40 yrs. Decide what makes you happy when you ride, that is what counts. My Spyder makes me happy and I love it (38,000 miles so far in 4 years).

I have a 14 RT and have no problems yet. I would go for it and worry less. :D

Not everything is perfect. As for the brake issue its normally just a switch or the parking brake motor.

Haven't heard anything on the newer models yet.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png