Fuel Gauge on CSC with Auxiliary Fuel Tank

paid4c4

300+ Posts
Reaction score
My DCT/CSC trike was built with an auxiliary fuel tank. My question; does the fuel gauge read just the GW fuel tank or total fuel on board?

Bill

It reads the stock GW 6.6 gallon fuel level. The auxiliary tank gravity feeds slowly into the GW tank when the the GW tank drops below a certain level.

Last edited:
My CSC/Goldwing fuel gauge measures the original tank level. From my experience what I see is the needle starts to move after the first 30 to 35 miles and goes down rather rapidly until about the 3/4 level. Then is is real slow to get down to 1/2 tank. And slower after that.

When my warning light comes on I still have over 2 gallons in the tanks. I don't know for sure but I suspect the aux. tanks' top is slightly lower than the OEM tank and the bottom of the aux. tank is relatively even with that of the OEM. Anyway, that's how the fuel gage is reacting..... Jim

My CSC/Goldwing fuel gage measures the original tank level. From my experience what I see is the needle starts to move after the first 30 to 35 miles and goes down rather rapidly until about the 3/4 level. Then is is real slow to get down to 1/2 tank. And slower after that. When my warning light comes on I still have over 2 gallons in the tanks. I don't know for sure but I suspect the aux. tanks' top is slightly lower than the OEM tank and the bottom of the aux. tank is relatively even with that of the OEM. Anyway, that's how the fuel gage is reacting..... Jim

Jim, thank you for the explanation. I have about 30 miles on a full tank and noticed the gauge starting to move. I'll keep watching it now that I know what to look for.

Bill

My CSC/Goldwing fuel gage measures the original tank level. From my experience what I see is the needle starts to move after the first 30 to 35 miles and goes down rather rapidly until about the 3/4 level. Then is is real slow to get down to 1/2 tank. And slower after that. When my warning light comes on I still have over 2 gallons in the tanks. I don't know for sure but I suspect the aux. tanks' top is slightly lower than the OEM tank and the bottom of the aux. tank is relatively even with that of the OEM. Anyway, that's how the fuel gage is reacting..... Jim

:Agree:

This is also what I experience.

When my low level fuel light appears on the dashboard, I have about 2.5 to 3 gallons left in the tanks if I refill at that time.

If I assume 10 gallons volume in my main tank and auxiliary tank at my average 34 mpg at sea level, then I have a range of about 340 miles per both tanks. I will watch the fuel trip odometer more closely than the fuel gage, which is reset at the fuel refill. At the 300 mile mark, I know its time to top off and I will not second guess it with a gallon plus in reserve. :D

So my recommendation is, calculate and know your average mpg, based on your riding preferences and geographical location, and multiply it by the total of your stock and auxiliary tanks volume to get your total average miles per combined tanks. Then preset one of your trip odometers to track your mileage per each refill.

You can't go wrong.ThumbUp I mentioned geographical location in the above paragraph because at sea level I average 34 mpg. I will average 37 mpg while in mountainous terrain but will still refill at the 300 mile mark.

When the low fuel light comes on, set your trip meter to zero and you have 90 miles worth of fuel left. I have not tested it to empty, but Will at CSC told me that this is what the range is, actually he says a bit more than 90 miles, but 90 miles is a safe bet.

Randy, thank you for responding and that makes sense. The fuel gauge reads what is in the OEM fuel tank and when it reaches LOW FUEL you still have the auxiliary tank which is full or close to full to provide another safe 90 miles. I'm down to a half tank on my first fill up and will try out what has been posted. I'll report back.

Bill

Bill, My CSC/Goldwing is my first trike but not my first wing. It took me a little bit to become familiar with the difference in how the fuel gage registers. I tracked my mileage and fuel usage in detail for over 4,000 miles. There has been only one time my fuel light came on and then it took only 7.1 gallons to fill. My MPG has been consistently right at 34. I find that my bike will go about 160 miles until the fuel needle is exactly at 1/2. When filling the tank it takes some patience. It can appear full but a real slow drizzle of fuel can add an additional gallon or more. I'll be interested to hear about your experience. Good luck..... Jim

Todd, thank you for the photo it helped me to understand how the system works. This will enable me to make better use of the auxiliary tank and my fuel system in general. Just one thing, could you please show where the Honda takes fuel out of the tank and sends it to the engine? Curious minds want to know!

Regards;

Bill

Todd, thank you for the photo it helped me to understand how the system works. This will enable me to make better use of the auxiliary tank and my fuel system in general. Just one thing, could you please show where the Honda takes fuel out of the tank and sends it to the engine? Curious minds want to know!

Regards;

Bill

I'm not Todd ,but i can tell you for sure the fuel is taken from the top of the Honda tank ,the pump is directly under your butt

Yes nywinger you are correct.

The Honda fuel pump sits on the bottom of the honda fuel tank and then pumps the fuel out the top through a fitting at the top of the tank. The vent, pump power wires, sender wires, fuel line out, and fuel line in, all go out through various flanges depending on the year of the motorcycle. These can mostly be seen when you remove the seat.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png