Trike on the Auto Train

nokkon wud

50+ Posts
Feb 4, 2021
Clearwater, Fl
I know this is a old thread but recently I tried to get answers about bringing trikes. I posted this in the Gold Wing section by accident.

I spoke with 3 people. 2 said yes certain trikes but could not tell me which ones or and sizes. The third said no trikes.

We were looking at doing the Auto train the week after Memorial Day, hit Gettysburg then up into the Adirondacks and back down to for a train ride back home but now we're are headed to NOLA, Memphis and who knows on our first long road trip with the trike.

I have taken my bike on the AT a couple times. Worked out great.

Here’s what’s on the Amtrack site (which is different from a couple of years ago when I checked).

Special Vehicles

Each Auto Train departure includes a limited number of spaces to carry specialized vehicles.

Check-in for special vehicles closes at 2:00 pm.

• Small trailers, limousines, jet-skis, trikes and choppers may be accepted.
  • Can-Am motorcycles, Rewaco trikes and Polaris Slingshots are not permitted.
  • An additional fee may apply for special vehicles.

I like the “may be accepted” part (NOT)!

Here’s the full link......

https://www.amtrak.com/route-content/auto-train-boarding-and-vehicle-requirements.html

That's my point I have called them 3 times with mixed results.

Was thinking some here had used it with a trike.

Very Ambiguous about Trikes ......?...You might get on or you might not..Probably the determining factor is how the guy who is in charge of checking you in; Day is going..:Shrug:

Very Ambiguous about Trikes ......?...You might get on or you might not..Probably the determining factor is how the guy who is in charge of checking you in; Day is going..:Shrug:

Hate to get all the way over to Orlando planning on waking up in Virginia the next morning to find out they won't take the trike.

Oh well, Maybe next year as we have already planned NOLA Memorial Day week then Glacier NP Labor Day for 2 weeks.

Hate to get all the way over to Orlando planning on waking up in Virginia the next morning to find out they won't take the trike.

Oh well, Maybe next year as we have already planned NOLA Memorial Day week then Glacier NP Labor Day for 2 weeks.

Check on Glacier before going. Last year the East entrance was closed by the tribe that is on that Res.

Thanks good Idea. HAd planned on using the west side entrance but you never know.

We went by the East & closed. West was open& backed up forever. I would think you would have to turn around & come back out the west also cause the injuns had the east all shut down. We may try again this year, on the 2nd trip. Best of luck & safe travels

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png