Newbie with tracking issue

May 11, 2021
S. Daytona, FL
Hello All,

I just joined this forum, actually stumbled across it by accident. Anyway, I own a beautiful 2013 HD Ultra Limited with a Roadsmith kit. I bought it a little over a year ago with 1250 original miles on it, it is all chromed out with optional chrome front wheels as well as chrome rear wheels, and also running boards. Its painted yellow and black, will post pictures of it on here soon. It has a little over 7,000 miles on it now.

Now to the issue at hand, It has always pulled a little to the right, Air pressures are set both the same in the rear, new tires all around as the old ones were like new but old. Steering head bearings are fine also. I took it to the trike shop here in Daytona, and the main technician there (Randy) immediately saw that the LH wheel/tire was further forward than the RH one by about 1/2 inch by looking at the relationship between fender and tire.. I left it there for him to adjust or align, he said it can be done pretty easy.

Just wondering if this is a common problem or just an isolated case of when it was triked out someone goofed. I also had a issue with the front wheel bearings wore out prematurely as the spacer in the front wheel was not the correct size. Not sure where the kit was installed, I am assuming at the local HD shop here in Daytona as it was sold new there. Can someone here tell me what all is involved in getting the back wheels aligned so it will track straight, my left shoulder/arm gets tired after a while, LOL. Thanks in advance, Kim

Kim - congrats on the "new to you" ride! Looks beautiful. As another member posted, do not have the tires aligned using the body or fender well as a guide. If there isn't any unusual tire wear on any of the three, probably good sign there isn't an alignment issue. Probably more to do with either the trike having stock triple-trees, or if the trees have been replaced, they didn't have enough angle change.

Trikes having a slight pull to the right is not unheard of. Maybe put a little less air in the left tire, I know some customers try that. The pull should really be no more than the weight of your hand to correct. However, Florida has some very highly crowned roads, particularly near the coast lines. All of these are factors. Give it some time and you will get used to it.

welcome Kim your situation is normal unless it has a strong pull. My 13 Tri has had it since new and I have 63k on it now. Long ago got used to it.

Hi Kim, welcome to the forums from the west coast of Florida. I had a '15 Tri that pulled just slightly to the right from the day I bought it, I did get used to it because of the road crowns.

Hi Kim, welcome to the forums from the west coast of Florida. I had a '15 Tri that pulled just slightly to the right from the day I bought it, I did get used to it because of the road crowns.

My 15 and 17 Freewheelers both drifted right

The 21 I am probably going to buy drifts slightly right also;)

I got the trike back yesterday, and it seems better, but still a slight pull to the right which is probably due to road crown. Will have to ride it more to see. I do not know if the triple tree is raked but pretty sure it is as the kit has many options. The mechanic showed me a kit he was installing and the new kits are raked even more than when my kit was installed. I will update once I ride it a bit more. Thanks again, Kim

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png