ABS Light After Trike Conversion

Bouncer

50+ Posts
May 16, 2021
Milwaukee, Wi, USA
New here so ..... Hello everyone !

I've got a question I can't find an answer to.

I installed a Champion Trike kit on my 2011 Harley FLHTC touring bike.

The bike has ABS brakes. There is no rear wheel sensor option I can find for this trike kit so

without that, the ABS light blinks continuously while driving.

I've tried removing the ABS fuse and even un-pugged the ABS unit and the light remains on.

Did anyone else encounter this problem and remedy it without putting a piece of tape over the light ?

Jeff just a thought can you tie the two sensor wires together to read just the front sensor?

I've thought about doing that. I've also thought about splicing into the speedometer sensor. I just don't know that much about these sensors. I believe they work by creating milliamps. I don't know if different sensors create more or less milliamp voltage output and if a milliamp output voltage change would hurt the ABS electronics. Also, the speedometer sensor senses a transmission gear so you get 14 pulses in one revolution verses 1 pulse in 1 revolution of the wheel.

I have heard the ABS system can be disabled for dyno tuning proposes. If this is true, nobody is willing to tell how it's done and if it stays disabled once you turn the ignition off and back on.

You may get help from the company <a href="mailto:service@championtrikesaz.com">service@championtrikesaz.com</a> this company is now in the hands of a new owner. They should have included a 'Reluctor Ring' on one of the rotors to avoid the problem.
<br><br>

<br>

So I contacted Champion Trikes. As of now, they do not have a solution for the ABS equipped motorcycles other then a sticker they will send you to cover the light on the dash ...... LOL <br>

<br>

The new owners are working on it and said they would contact me when they resolve the problem.

Update

So I contacted Champion Trikes. As of now, they do not have a solution for the ABS equipped motorcycles other then a sticker they will send you to cover the light on the dash ...... LOL

The new owners are working on it and said they would contact me when they resolve the problem.

I also have the same light on.

Thanks for reaching out to Champion Trikes of AZ. I had my 2014 FLHTK Limited converted in late 2018 at the Garden Grove, CA factory. Bill Swift nor anyone else ever mentioned there being an issue. Our ABS system is obviously no longer working as designed. I hope Champion Trike of AZ. is looking into this issue. I'm not even sure my Reflex Braking, introduced in 2014 is still operable. I have not been able to find anyone who really knows. I've been told that the ABS pump could possibly fail because of this situation. Hopefully it is operating in a bypass mode, caused by the absence of the rear ABS sensor. I have considered removing the ABS pump if it were to fail.

Let's keep this post going so as to pass along information to others who have converted ABS equipped bikes.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png