Honda GW wont start

John Luciano

One Of The Origionals , TOI - New England
Mar 2, 2008
Conn
Unknown to me before this If your GW will not start and all seems dead check the oil level. My friend left his bike in the garage for 3 years, He ended up in a rest home and we tried to sell his trike . it was dead . 3 mechanics tried to start it It was dead . the last guy 3rd Mechanic changed the oil and it fired up. it was 1 1/2 quarts low on oil

The GL1800 has a low oil cut-out on it. If the bike is low on oil it will not run.
Honda has incorporated this into its small air cooled engines also. I think this is great, that way some one cannot run the engine while the oil is low and cause damage. :wtg:

Wish I knew that last month , It would have saved me a lot of trailer towing

Seems to me that checking the oil on a bike that you know nothing about
should have been the first thing checked.:Shrug:

Not nocking you but just saying.
PS, that is a new one on me also.;)

Not like I knew nothing about the bike . I rode with the guy 100 times. He was riding it up til he put it away. No puddle under it where it sat for 2 years or so. We are talking no spark no start. Never thought low oil would do that. So u are saying when it didn't start u would have checked the dip stick.

First I've ever heard of it, too, but that's an excellent safety feature for those who aren't into checking their oil regularly as part of pre-ride checks or regular maintainence. Low oil level = seized motor in short order = huge expen$e = no fun.

I at least hope that the dealership salesmen and the Owner's Manual mentions this feature so mechanics aren't left wondering what the problem is......:Shrug:

Not a clue& not a mention in the trouble shootin section of the SHOP Manual and a Honda mechanic never herd of it . The guy working on the bike is an out of work diesel mechanic and has worked on Honda refrig. motors and generators. They all have that feature.... lucky us
How thing happen son In Law got it home and was too dark to back up his driveway so left it in the street in front of the next door neighbors house . Guy called next morning said thanks for the Trike. He was told the problem and asked if he could take a look. I figured that saved us $1,000

Interesting about no mention of it in the OEM manual and even more interesting that a Honda mechanic wasn't aware of it (unless he wasn't a Certified by Honda mechanic ?)

"trikeleader" was aware of it and I can see where a low oil cut-out would be easy enough for the factory to do with a simple sensor and a relay.

Again, it's a great feature to have, but looking at the date of your posting, John, I've just gotta ask........Was this an April Fool's joke ? :Joker3:

Either way, pretty sure people with the GL1800 will be checking their oil level more frequently now........LOL!

WAS not a joke. Like I said a few have tried and as soon as he added oil it fired up.

WAS not a joke. Like I said a few have tried and as soon as he added oil it fired up.

Understood, John, just couldn't resist asking ;)

Seeing as this is new info for a lot of us, wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing this feature as a standard item on more vehicles as time goes by.....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png