Need help ID'ing this VW trike-

tha510

Jun 8, 2021
Oakland
Need help ID'ing this trike - Just purchased, note the custom gas tank and fiberglass fairing - No identifying marks that I can find.

Searched the 'net for a few hours - couldn't find anything similar.

192056806_10109696321211393_3538365288873404923_n.jpg

Never seen one like that before. I suspect that it is a "Home Built" or "One Off" design based on the Kell kit from the early 70's. Compare the rear frame / suspension from ad to what you have. The seat section was probably pulled off a mold made from one of the Roth styled bodies like Stires and Wilmac.

Please start a build thread as you get this back on the road....Pictures, we LOVE pictures!!!

Lots of VW trike expertise on this forum and we're happy to share.

TrikeKit1972.jpg

Hi and thanks !

I used to work as the assistant manager of a VW buggy & high perf shop here in California, we did vintage restorations, dune buggy, 1/4 mile, formula Vee, kit cars - thought I had seen it all until this one -

anyway, I just picked it up last night, I will go though it and post pics, supposedly it was running, but just sitting for a long time.

Never seen one like that before. I suspect that it is a "Home Built" or "One Off" design based on the Kell kit from the early 70's. Compare the rear frame / suspension from ad to what you have. The seat section was probably pulled off a mold made from one of the Roth styled bodies like Stires and Wilmac.

Please start a build thread as you get this back on the road....Pictures, we LOVE pictures!!!

Lots of VW trike expertise on this forum and we're happy to share.

View attachment 99754

:welcome:to Trike Talk

If I had to guess I bet that was home made some where in Ca during the late dune buggy craze;)

Looks like a fun project for you

I do not know of any kit or aftermarket builder that did not use the vw rear suspension.

So I don't think it is a kit or bought design.

Also doubt it was by a builder....as they would have made an attempt at getting the front end geometry right.

Probably a home built. But in my opinion that is the best kind. Make it right and make it yours.

The quality and fitment of the brackets, etc. make me think that this is probably a production prototype that didn't make the cut. There were a lot of trike /dune buggy "manufacturers" that came and went during the 70's.

If you look closely at the front wheel you will probably be able to find some identifying logos/numbers that will help you figure out what it came from.

Yep......odd

And I am a connoisseur of odd......and don't know what it is.

I don't know of any builder that did not use the vw rear suspension.

And then those Morse cables.....

But then the varying thickness of the fiberglass look rough and hand made...

So anyway.

The front end looks Kawasaki. But lots of bikes of that era had the same wheel design.

Is it enkie?

A mix of drive train......a single port with a dog house?....not a normal sight. Then on a swing axle.

But in the end it don't really matter who made it....because you won't ever get parts from them anyway.

Make it into what you want....it seems you know your way around the vw parts. Get your front end geometry right and have fun with it.

I am just mostly curious about the maker- My guess it is a very low production, the fiberglass is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick, ( thicker in some spots) it is really solid. The frame has dressed welds and gussets, and NO re-welding, I've worked on film vehicles, parade vehicles, Production car prototypes ( I was on the design team for the 2001 Qvale Mangusta) and we were always making changes as we build, Even with CAD-created designs.

Maybe I secretly want it to be one of George Barris or Dean Jeffries "forgotten" builds.

I do know VW's, but not bikes - I will read up on steering geometry and see what I need to do.

Anyway thanks for all great comments, I am planning on taking this (on a trailer ) to an event in the desert in September so I have my work cut out for me.

Well it does not have to be factory made to fit and look slick.

Mine is completely one off self built.

View attachment 99836

Very nice - reminds me of the "Amazonia" motorcycle ( 2 wheel motorcycle kit with mid VW engine) My buddy built this a few years ago, the only bike i've worked with and it has a mid-engine BMW 2 liter ( from a 320D ) that runs on vegetable oil- ( http://michaelsturtz.com/die-moto/ )

die-moto-run1.jpg

The quality and fitment of the brackets, etc. make me think that this is probably a production prototype that didn't make the cut. There were a lot of trike /dune buggy "manufacturers" that came and went during the 70's.

I actually think that just might be the case - while working on it I discovered that the Brake backing plates, the coil-over shocks, the axle tubes, and the shock/backing plate mounting horns are all CHROME PLATED. Then sometime later painted over with black spray paint.

I think the suspension setup was borrowed from a Formula Vee. Someone spent a lot of money chroming all the suspension parts, ( or they worked at a chrome shop)

Anyway, I am starting a separate build thread - I have 3 months before the event that this is being prepped for, so I have some work to do. It's going to be a "Mad Max" style Rat-bike, for the "Wasteland Weekend" event in Mojave CA. this September.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png