How much more comfy would my trike be if i put only 22 lbs in rear tires???

Burnerboy

2000+ Posts
Sep 2, 2016
Springfield, Mass. USA
How much more comfy would my trike be if i put only 22 lbs in rear tires???

I 've been reading much about putting in only 22 lbs in my rear tires, for a smoother ride, instead of the much higher recommended amounts suggested by my trike builder..

My ride is not as smooth as I had hoped, before triking........

2010 Honda Goldwing/Roadsmith model

Won't this lower pressure wear out my rears faster???

I ride "both" back roads as well as highway riding (70 MPH ish)

I am not a cowboy with my trike, (I baby it) I ride the speed limit, and enjoy a relaxing ride......... BUT I do many long distance trips.....

Ronnie

I 've been reading much about putting in only 22 lbs in my rear tires, for a smoother ride, instead of the much higher recommended amounts suggested by my trike builder..

I am not a cowboy with my trike, (I baby it) I ride the speed limit, and enjoy a relaxing ride......... BUT I do many long distance trips.....

Ronnie

You'll never know till you try it...:Shrug:.

Ronnie

Ronnie, I have been riding the VTX you saw me with for over 6 years with 20# air in the rear and 40 in the front. That recommendation came from experts right here on Trike Talk. You are not carrying the weight of a car with you. My tires wore perfectly. I just replaced them a month before I sold it. Don't remember the date codes. I personally put 25,000 on them. Don't know how old they were. Could have been original tires. It had 58,000 on it when I sold it. I did put a BT45 on the front and ran it backwards. It was still going at 28,000 miles.

bt

22 LBS in rear will be tried............I'll report back in a few days, after reducing the lbs in rear's

Thanks all

Ronnie

Well, since I reduced the tire pressure to #22 lbs all it's done was too rain everyday (or so hot 95*+) that I have not even touched my bike....I'll soon check it out (but it's pouring rain again today)

Well guys,

I finely had a good chance to ride my newly lowered tire pressure (22lbs) a good long distance.... and I took it on a long ride to the Vermont area (now be advised, too, those that don't know these back roads, in Vermont, I can tell you that some of these roads are so bad that it would "jarrr" your back teeth.....BUT these roads are also long, sweeping, no traffic, wind'ie bike perfect roads...

I went a total of 189.6 miles Round trip from my home.... Vermont border is 60 miles from my front door......Anyway I LOVE THE TIRE PRESSURE LOWERED DOWN TOO 22LBS., I FOUND THE RIDE SO MUCH SMOOTHER...................SO THANK YOU TOO ALL THAT RECOMMENDED ME TOO LOWER THE REAR AIR PRESSURE...........It's now a pressure to ride my trike again..

:banana-pair::bass::pinkpachy::whistling::whistling:

Ronnie

Not if your running a rear tire on the front. The majority of the trike crowd from right here on the forum over the last 8 years or so agree with 41 and running it backwards. I wonder what Poppa Zook's take on this is?

Don't know who started the 40/41 stuff or why it took hold but, for me I also started with 41 in a reversed BT45 on the front of my Wing trike. Never had such a hard ride, All most like the front forks were solid rods!!!! Lowered pressure to 36. What a difference.

I encourage you give it a try.

Well guys,

I finely had a good chance to ride my newly lowered tire pressure (22lbs) a good long distance.... and I took it on a long ride to the Vermont area (now be advised, too, those that don't know these back roads, in Vermont, I can tell you that some of these roads are so bad that it would "jarrr" your back teeth.....BUT these roads are also long, sweeping, no traffic, wind'ie bike perfect roads...

I went a total of 189.6 miles Round trip from my home.... Vermont border is 60 miles from my front door......Anyway I LOVE THE TIRE PRESSURE LOWERED DOWN TOO 22LBS., I FOUND THE RIDE SO MUCH SMOOTHER...................SO THANK YOU TOO ALL THAT RECOMMENDED ME TOO LOWER THE REAR AIR PRESSURE...........It's now a pressure to ride my trike again..

:banana-pair::bass::pinkpachy::whistling::whistling:

Ronnie

Atta boy Ronnie!!!! :clapping:

Thank you for the email on lowering the tire pressures...:hooray:

Yep I'm totally impressed with the 22lbs now in my rear tires......much smoother, NO MORE :biglol::biglol: like I had before I DEflated them

Ronnie

22 lbs in the rear, 36 front 2021 Triglide + happy rider

Once I read this forum I dropped my pressure from 26 to 22 in the rear tires on my 2021 Triglide and it made a world of difference. Then I added the Legends Lift Kit and it rides 100 times better. I'm still thinking shocks because we have terrible roads here, but the lower pressure and lift kit made a world of difference.

Good for you to actually give it a try in the real world—way better than talking about it.

I run 22 rear and 36 front on my RS Wing. Shocks are full soft, larger diameter anti-roll bar comes on as early as possible. EZSteer with firmer front springs up front. Very plush. Very sporty.

14129379-D2C3-4E03-A0D2-A4BFA3E9AFAD.jpeg

I don't understand why you have to REVERSE the rotation, and mount the BT tire backwards...... :mega-shock: What's the reason????

Ronnie

I had the BT45 on the front of my Gold Wing in forward position. Cold psi was 36. It wore beautifully and never had a problem with grip when riding in the rain.

It is a popular statement among trikers to run this tire in reverse… I never understood why and didn’t see the logic of doing so.

Also had Ride-On in the tire..as well as the other 2 tires.

I don’t know what the reasoning is to run it in reverse position. :Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png