Stallion Fire

gctrikeguy

Mar 17, 2010
?
JUST A HEADS UP. We had a 2010 Stallion until July 6, 2021. For background we had replaced the clock spring twice on the bike (see previous posts on this). We live in Springfield and on Thursday during Wing Ding the same symptoms of loss of turn signals, AC and cruise control happened that indicated the clock spring had once again failed. These symptoms were verified with Richard at Motortrike.

Because of the holiday week-end I was not able to get it into my normal shop. On Tuesday morning the 6th, we awoke to a fully enveloped fire in our garage. The Stallion was on fire. Subsequent investigations by fire investigators have apparently determined the origination of the fire was in the Stallion around the dash and steering wheel area. The bike is a complete loss along with my 2010 GL1800 trike, 2019 Chrysler 300 and a 1999 Dodge Dakota and all of the contents of the garage.

We have been displaced from our home for anywhere from two to six months. It is now Saturday morning the 10th and the auto/motorcycle adjuster has refused to work with us, although we have all of our policies with the same insurance company. The agent as well as the adjusters for the contents of the home as well as structure have been great to work with. There always has to be one.

Thanks for letting me vent. If you have any questions I will try to monitor and answer as best as I can.

Sorry for your losses. It can all be replaced , but lives can’t.

Good luck dealing with your insurance co.

Glad to hear you and family are OK. That is the most important thing. Next, it would be good to know which company is being non-responsive in their customer service/claims. Responsive and responsible companies are good to know about. Likewise, we need to know who to put on the "bad boy" list. Failure to work with you, even at the outset of a claim, indicates to me they are a company that is not worthy of our business..... Jim

I'm very sorry for everything you have to go thru especially with a non-responding ins agent! As mentioned above it would be nice to know what company is treating you so poorly for the trike coverage. Over 50 years of riding and I've had 2 claims involving a custom softail theft and my 09 Stallion being t-boned, neither my fault and both insurance companies were extremely helpful back then. Hopefully your agent will wake up or choose another line on work. Glad you are safe and hope all repairs/replacements are accomplished quickly. Tomg

This is very tragic. He says all the policies are with the same company and that the adjusters have all been great except the auto/motorcycle adjuster. The OP is probably busy still trying to get a handle on all this but may be reluctant to give the company name since part of the company did well by him and he doesn’t want to diss the company for one jerk. Hopefully he can get to the jerk’s superiors and get it resolved. Hope he gets time to post an update.

Insurance company is Progressive and as Flo asks we had bundled the policies. The insurance adjuster (have four) indicated this was the first time they had seen such a bundle. Two of the adjusters have been great; however, we evidently have a newbie. We had an agreed value on the Stallion of $25,000 he wants to give us $21,000. On the Motortrike, do you know they consider a trike kit as an accessory. Motortrike 2010 Honda with 70,500 miles he wants to give me $10,000. Will not even give me the $3,000 in accessories that I was paying for.

Yes a trike installation on a motorcycle is considered an accessory. I always tell them it’s been converted to a trike and I tell them the cost of conversion or my purchase price when getting insurance.

Not all insurance companies will insure “accessories” such as add-ons. Those that do will often require pics of accessories on motorcycle/trike and receipts. Some will only insure for 1/2 of the cost of accessories. That being said..... the best insurance is a good insurance adjuster. You may need to contact the state insurance commissioner’s office and file a complaint.

When I had a claim last year the adjuster offered me $8,950 for my totaled 1998 SE 1500 wing with Lehman conversion with bout 66,000. I said not enough and sent pic and info from others comparable listed for sale from private and dealer sellers and he called back a couple of days later and with a offer of almost $12,000.

Sorry for your losses Good Luck:wave4:

Insurance company is Progressive and as Flo asks we had bundled the policies. The insurance adjuster (have four) indicated this was the first time they had seen such a bundle. Two of the adjusters have been great; however, we evidently have a newbie. We had an agreed value on the Stallion of $25,000 he wants to give us $21,000. On the Motortrike, do you know they consider a trike kit as an accessory. Motortrike 2010 Honda with 70,500 miles he wants to give me $10,000. Will not even give me the $3,000 in accessories that I was paying for.

I have a auto body shop we will not do Progressive insurance work , They are the worst company out there , Geico is second and may take over first place , go on line find comps that are as close to yours as possible , get as many as you can find add the prices together divide buy the number you find and that is the average price of your trike , That trike has to be worth $18000. to $20000 if it was in good condition. When my Stallion was totaled Commerce Insurance company started out at $18000. in the end I got $ 30500. Find the highest comp you can because they will find the lowest . GOOD Luck

Gary are you asking what a clock spring is?

If you are it's the mechanism inside the center of the steering wheel that allows the connections of the controls on the steering wheel to me made while allowing the steering wheel to turn.

If your not asking ok.

I was asking, and thanks. Never encountered the term before. Short out of what?

almost all modern cars have one in the steering while the air bag uses it besides the switches.

the stallion used one from the ford ranger. for the switches no airbag

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png