shimmy shimmy shake shake

steelpony5555

Reaction score
Ok got this 2010 Ultra with the Champion conversion. Rides nice but at higher speeds it has a little bit of a shimmy. Not dangerous but irritating. Where do I start to track this down?? Since I am portly kinda guy I have my tire pressures at the max I think 26 lbs. But other then tire pressure is the anything else I can check. Or should I try lowering my tire pressure......thanks for the help

dave lower tire pressure to 23 lbs or so. tighten the neck bearing to 40 lbs think about a rake kit if it doesn't have one

Ok got this 2010 Ultra with the Champion conversion. Rides nice but at higher speeds it has a little bit of a shimmy. Not dangerous but irritating. Where do I start to track this down?? Since I am portly kinda guy I have my tire pressures at the max I think 26 lbs. But other then tire pressure is the anything else I can check. Or should I try lowering my tire pressure......thanks for the help

If you pick up speed when the shimmy comes on , And then it gos away at the higher speed..It could be an unbalanced front tire..?

Sorry but you lost me at a Rack Kit.....what would that be???

Dave that is changing the triple trees to trees that extend the front axle out more. Not much but some that adds to the item called trail which makes the trike steer better once it has been converted from 2 to 3 wheels. Randy can explain better. at CUT-N-SHOOT CUSTOMS see ad below he is the owner of the site and can explain the trees to you and possibly sell you the trees at a very good price.

Dave that is changing the triple trees to trees that extend the front axle out more. Not much but some that adds to the item called trail which makes the trike steer better once it has been converted from 2 to 3 wheels. Randy can explain better. at CUT-N-SHOOT CUSTOMS see ad below he is the owner of the site and can explain the trees to you and possibly sell you the trees at a very good price.

To further define…it is usually called a rake kit rather than rack kit.

A rake kit won't do anything for high speed problems. It's more for slow speed wobble and easier steering. I would check wheel balance on all three wheels. Also check for shifted belts in the rear tires. In other words make sure they spin true.

The shimmy on my trike was due to an unbalanced, worn out front tire. It disappeared once I replaced it with an Avon Cobra Trike tire.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png