Multiple DTCs 2021 FLHTCUTG

Reaction score
Just had the initial 1K service on my 21 Tri Glide…everything good.

Took the wife across the river for a short ride and lunch today; upon leaving the restaurant I noticed the “Check Engine” light on.

The code dump looked like this:

ECM Y

U0121 lost comms w/ABS

U2067 ABS EHCU INITIALIZATION FAILED (no vehicle pwr or lost comms diagnostics)

U2087 ABS EHCU MESSAGE LOSS FAULT (no vehicle pwr or lost comms diagnostics)

(NOTE: The EHCU is the Electro-Hydraulic Control Unit…a.k.a. ABS module)

END

P/n 001805-01

BCM Y

B2285 Rear Brake Configuration Error (no vehicle pwr or lost comms diagnostics)

U0121 lost comms w/ABS

END

P/n 41000341

SPDO Y

U0121 lost comms w/ABS

END

PN 70900121D

ABS N (no codes)

RDO N (no codes)

I found most of the codes in the Trike Service Supplement.

The battery terminals were tight, ground points good, battery voltage fine - then I got to thinking…

When we left the restaurant I turned the ignition switch on as the wife asked me a question. I turned it off quickly, gave a one-word answer, flipped the bike back in RUN and immediately hit the starter.

After making the U-turn from the street parking spot I noticed the idiot light. I’m wondering if it was the Canbus complaining that I didn’t let everything ‘wake up’ on the network before jabbing the starter button.No other idiot lights (like the ABS light which turned off as usual once we were rolling).

All the codes cleared fine.

I think I’ll try to replicate this event to see if that’s the root cause of these multiple codes.

Gregg, that is entirely possible since the ABS/ traction control; does go thru a roll off test much the same as your car or truck does, BUT just to be sure do not clear the codes and have your dealer look at your ride. Some of the 20 model year and 19s had some of these problems. It would not surprise me if there were a few early 21 models with similar software program problems.

Gregg, that is entirely possible since the ABS/ traction control; does go thru a roll off test much the same as your car or truck does, BUT just to be sure do not clear the codes and have your dealer look at your ride. Some of the 20 model year and 19s had some of these problems. It would not surprise me if there were a few early 21 models with similar software program problems.

Jack:

Thanks for the reply. I’m aware there is a recall campaign having to do with flashing the firmware regarding traction control where they got some “un-commanded braking” on one rear wheel. I checked last week with HD and they said my bike was not part of that…but the 2285 code is of interest as it relates to the brakes.

Nevertheless I took photos of all the DTC‘s and will call my service guy on Tuesday when I get back into work and see what he thinks.

If I can replicate this with short-stroking the ignition switch and starting sequence I may have found my answer. If not, it’s a question for the MOCO (Swearing)

Jack:

Thanks for the reply. I’m aware there is a recall campaign having to do with flashing the firmware regarding traction control where they got some “un-commanded braking” on one rear wheel. I checked last week with HD and they said my bike was not part of that…but the 2285 code is of interest as it relates to the brakes.

Nevertheless I took photos of all the DTC‘s and will call my service guy on Tuesday when I get back into work and see what he thinks.

If I can replicate this with short-stroking the ignition switch and starting sequence I may have found my answer. If not, it’s a question for the MOCO (Swearing)

Good deal, if nuthin else maybe we can learn from this and maybe The MOCO will publish info in owners manual in the future on doing a roll off test so these things do not happen?

This is progress from The MOCO for sure with the newer bikes and I am sure we will all go thru some more learning.

The more I think about your situation, I believe your lost communication on the canbus started when you shorted your command by turning the switch off during a duty cycle of the on board tests, that could explain the codes.

I spoke to Harley Customer Service today and relayed all that information, they conferred with one of their tech guys.

They indicated that this is indeed possible, but of course they want me to take it into the dealer so the tech can do a test ride and try to replicate it. Considering the backlog this time of year it may be a couple of weeks before that happens.

I’m sure because of the code thrown regarding the rear brakes they are being cautious because of liability and safety.

I also had them check the list and my bike is not part of that safety campaign to update the firmware for traction control.

Stay tuned, more to follow as I get more answers. I will take it to a parking lot and try to replicate this fault…

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png