How do you clean and wax your Freewheeler?

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
Guess this may sound like a stupid question, but I am concerned about the finish on all that black paint I just paid $30,000 for. Should I put a coat of wax on a bike I just got two weeks ago? Should I have already done that? Any recommendations on wax? That Freewheeler back end has a lot of area I never had to deal with before on my two wheelers. A large area that NJ insect life loves to commit suicide on. I see Harley, of course, has a whole selection of cleaning and waxing products, but I'm wondering what you all prefer to use to keep your trike nice.

Hey John, do a search on some of the Ceramic products. These are easy to put on and do a great job keeping the shine and the bugs etc are very easy to rinse off.

I put this on last year after lots of research and after DK Custom’s review here on the forum. When it’s time for the hussey to get a bath, all that is needed is the garden hose. Bugs, dust just roll off. No soap or rubbing needed. Dry her off and it’s done! Just gave her a good hosing this week again… still doing great ���� https://www.mckees37.com/ceramicpaintcoating.html

What I settled on for now is Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, spray on. Applied it in the garage while it was raining out and it went on real easy and polished up right nice. Took the Freewheeler out today in the sun and it looked great. I'm I little leery of some of the ceramic waxes. Some got great reviews, others didn't perform any better than regular waxes and they were all rather pricey and labor intensive. The Meguiars is quick and easy enough that if I have to do it a bit more often I don't mind.

top-rated-spray-wax-for-black-cars.jpg

I know this is Sacrilege........But i use Honda spray wax and cleaner on my Tri-Glide..

What i do is i park a block away from the Honda dealer so none of the Hondaites see me pull up on a Harley.....:laugh:....

That is a very good product. I have used it in the past

Now I use ( don't laugh) a generic version of Pledge spray wax from the Dollar tree

I have been using it for about 5 years now it gives a great finish and smells good too

Guess this may sound like a stupid question, but I am concerned about the finish on all that black paint I just paid $30,000 for. Should I put a coat of wax on a bike I just got two weeks ago? Should I have already done that? Any recommendations on wax? That Freewheeler back end has a lot of area I never had to deal with before on my two wheelers. A large area that NJ insect life loves to commit suicide on. I see Harley, of course, has a whole selection of cleaning and waxing products, but I'm wondering what you all prefer to use to keep your trike nice.

I use "Collinite No. 845 Insulator Wax" on my car and trike, it last a long time. You can get it from Amazon or Autozone. In-between the Collinite I use "Turtle Wax Ice spray" for quick shine after a wash. In Florida we get bugs, tree sap all kinds of crap, mostly in my car and just bug splats on the trike. Splatts come off easy when I get to them right after I ride. I keep the spray and rags in the trunk. I also use the spray wax on my windshield, it helps with removing bugs and repelling rain. I use Mothers on the chrome once a month and just wipe it off in-between with the wax rag. Depends how much I take it out. Ride safe brother.

What I settled on for now is Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, spray on. Applied it in the garage while it was raining out and it went on real easy and polished up right nice. Took the Freewheeler out today in the sun and it looked great. I'm I little leery of some of the ceramic waxes. Some got great reviews, others didn't perform any better than regular waxes and they were all rather pricey and labor intensive. The Meguiars is quick and easy enough that if I have to do it a bit more often I don't mind.

Came back from a ride and had quite the selection of insect species displayed on my rear fenders. I'm pleased to say a quick hose off and they were gone. Might be something to this stuff.

Came back from a ride and had the quite the selection of insect species displayed on my rear fenders. I'm pleased to say a quick hose off and they were gone. Might be something to this stuff.

Did you get your clutch adjusted?

I am glad I did mine, the adjuster nut on the clutch basket was finger tight on mine

On the non hydraulic clutches you can make slight adjustments [Take up some slack] to the clutch lever from [On] the cable before it goes into the clutch case[derby]

Nope, the clutch cable is now spring loaded so the lever free travel is predetermined, however you release the red clip on the yellow plastic adjuster piece, push down on the spring and reinsert the red keeper. Next you adjust the clutch hub adjuster same as older models, 1/2- 3/4 turn

Then remove the red clip and let the spring pop the cable back up, reinstall the red keeper and you are done

I just got done doing mine for the second time, once @500 miles and now @ 1100 miles. My free travel is good to go

On the non hydraulic clutches you can make slight adjustments [Take up some slack] to the clutch lever from [On] the cable before it goes into the clutch case[derby]

Nope, the clutch cable is now spring loaded so the lever free travel is predetermined, however you release the red clip on the yellow plastic adjuster piece, push down on the spring and reinsert the red keeper. Next you adjust the clutch hub adjuster same as older models, 1/2- 3/4 turn . Then remove the red clip and let the spring pop the cable back up, reinstall the red keeper and you are done .I just got done doing mine for the second time, once @500 miles and now @ 1100 miles. My free travel is good to go

That is a very good product. I have used it in the past

Now I use ( don't laugh) a generic version of Pledge spray wax from the Dollar tree

I have been using it for about 5 years now it gives a great finish and smells good too

Hi Jack, same here. I saw a guy using that in the parking lot at work on his bike in 1994, and I've used it ever since.

Hey JT ... My choice for regular upkeep has been Meguiar's Waterless Wash & Wax (great stuff and super easy to use) I use Novus #1 Cleaner for the windshield (also works great) and I'm planing on picking up the Cerakote Ceramic Paint Sealant. Have heard nothing but good stuff about it.

Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 1.48.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-22 at 1.57.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-22 at 1.47.39 PM.png

I usually wait for a good bug collection to build up . Then hose and lather up with the brush . Fire up the leaf blower to dry , then ride . I need to be in the mood for wax on wax off . Still waiting to get into the mood . BTW , no matter how fast somthing is moving , they all look good .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png