Sena SMH 10 and Sena Freewire

Jun 18, 2020
Duluth
Hi, all. Has anyone ever paired a Sena SMH10 with a Sena Freewire? If so, how did it perform? Was it loud enough at road speed to listen to music? My wife and I both have Sena SHM10's and are happy with their performance but would like to be able to listen to music thru our helmet speakers, too. I have a 2014 Tri Glide.

I did find a work around by using a 7 pin adapter cord and plugging into the headsets aux input, but we cannot listen to music and talk at the same time. It's one or the other.

I would be willing to purchase two Freewires, but if I have to upgrade the headsets also just to "cut the cord", it's a little more $$ than I am willing to spend.

Thanks for any input.

I have not tried what your asking about but I can say you would only need one Freewire. The need for 2 comes if the passanger wants to talk on the cb.The problem I see with your SMH10 is it looks like it is bluetooth 3.0 and the Freewire is 4.1.If all your wanting is music and comm a SM10 may work for you.Sierra electronics should be able to answer your questions. https://www.sierra-mc.com

Another thought.Your work around might be fine with some setting changes to the headsets.Those were great units and have a bulletproof rep and never having owned them i don't know when they started having the ability for the music to play in the background while your talking.If your just wanting it to cut the music off while you talk and resume after you stop changing the priorities might fix things again if that model has that capability.

Another thought.Your work around might be fine with some setting changes to the headsets.Those were great units and have a bulletproof rep and never having owned them i don't know when they started having the ability for the music to play in the background while your talking.If your just wanting it to cut the music off while you talk and resume after you stop changing the priorities might fix things again if that model has that capability.

Thank you Marc for the information. I'll have to check on the option of changing the priorities. I never thought of doing that, but it makes sense.

Thanks again.

I just ordered the SM10. It appears there is priorities already set in the SMH10 headset, with music being the lowest, and although not configurable it should allow for music to be played and have it interrupted when a conversation begins.

That's my hope at least. I'll just have to set our intercoms to VOX, if so.

Nice that the SM10 can pair with two headsets.

Hi, all. Has anyone ever paired a Sena SMH10 with a Sena Freewire? If so, how did it perform? Was it loud enough at road speed to listen to music? My wife and I both have Sena SHM10's and are happy with their performance but would like to be able to listen to music thru our helmet speakers, too. I have a 2014 Tri Glide.

I did find a work around by using a 7 pin adapter cord and plugging into the headsets aux input, but we cannot listen to music and talk at the same time. It's one or the other.

I would be willing to purchase two Freewires, but if I have to upgrade the headsets also just to "cut the cord", it's a little more $$ than I am willing to spend.

Thanks for any input.

wondering y u want music on while talking?...... so an hour later you can say "sorry i didnt quite hear what you said, the music was on"? :) :)

We received the SM10. I set both our headsets to VOX. All hooked up it all worked like a charm when sitting in the garage without the bike running. The delay for returning to music from VOX intercom was long, though. Too long.

Went on a ride tonight. With the exhaust and road noise the headsets would never go out of intercom mode and back to the music. I told my wife if she needed to talk just tap the jog dial and when we were done we'd tap again to return to the music.

The SM10 worked perfectly, as it was not part of the VOX problem. We both felt it was loud enough, and my wife could still change the stations and select any songs we had downloaded onto a USB stick via the media setting from the rear controls.

So, it's as good as what we had before without having the cords that we always forgot were there when getting off the bike.

Although this is an old thread, I thought I'd update it in case it could help others.

Since purchasing the SM10 mentioned previously, I've bought two HD branded Sena 10S's and had a WHIM installed. The SM10 and my two SMH10's now are dust collectors.

After hours of trying all different types of combinations, My wife and I have ended up pairing our 10S's together directly and listen to music thru the the Tri Glides fairing and tour pak speakers. I pair my phone to the bike so I can bluetooth my music and my phones Sirrius XM thru the bikes radio. None of this would require the purchasing the WHIM. Using the WHIM and listening to music thru our headset along with the intercom at the same time causes constant interruptions due to the poorly operating (designed) Boom Audio VOX.

The only purchase, out of all the electronic stuff I have purchased in the las two years I don't regret is the two HD Sena 10S's. This is due to the fact they are bluetooth 4.1 rather than the 3.0 the old SMH 10's had. This has made pairing with others I ride bike and snowmobile with who have more modern Sena's much easier.

For us, the WHIM was a water of money, although I'm sure for some it may be useful.

Now, the issue that we dealt with recently is some I ride with, mostly snowmobiling, have switched to Cardo units. Paring them to our Sena's reliably has proved impossible for more than two riders.

A universal intercom platform really needs to be adopted by the manufacturers in my opinion.

Happy riding!

Although this is an old thread, I thought I'd update it in case it could help others.

Since purchasing the SM10 mentioned previously, I've bought two HD branded Sena 10S's and had a WHIM installed. The SM10 and my two SMH10's now are dust collectors.

After hours of trying all different types of combinations, My wife and I have ended up pairing our 10S's together directly and listen to music thru the the Tri Glides fairing and tour pak speakers. I pair my phone to the bike so I can bluetooth my music and my phones Sirrius XM thru the bikes radio. None of this would require the purchasing the WHIM. Using the WHIM and listening to music thru our headset along with the intercom at the same time causes constant interruptions due to the poorly operating (designed) Boom Audio VOX.

The only purchase, out of all the electronic stuff I have purchased in the las two years I don't regret is the two HD Sena 10S's. This is due to the fact they are bluetooth 4.1 rather than the 3.0 the old SMH 10's had. This has made pairing with others I ride bike and snowmobile with who have more modern Sena's much easier.

For us, the WHIM was a water of money, although I'm sure for some it may be useful.

Now, the issue that we dealt with recently is some I ride with, mostly snowmobiling, have switched to Cardo units. Paring them to our Sena's reliably has proved impossible for more than two riders.

A universal intercom platform really needs to be adopted by the manufacturers in my opinion.

Happy riding!

Try using the Cardo to do the pairing. In fact, tell the person with the Cardo to use the phone app -should pair easily this way.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png