I-Team: Lawsuits Blame Harley Davidson ‘Trikes' for Death, Injuries

Thanks guys. I’ll check the vin recall

I know my bike was delivered to the dealer and previous owner in January of 18. It was #49 of the 1900 run. Likely assembled in York just before that.

I figured before i run out and buy a roll of bubble wrap to wrap myself in so i can bounce off guard rails safely....I would run my VIN# ....Comes up clean...

So where do you disconnect these sensors?

Look under the back of the trike you will see the sensor's going into the backing plate there's a plug on both side's above the rear axle housing, just push in the locking clip and pull apart the plug. I'm going to leave mine unplugged .

It only applies to 2019 and early 2020 models as 2019 was the first year for ABS. As Jack pointed out in post # 10 the Traction Control System (TCS) can be disabled. You must do that each time you start engine as default is enabled. It is a TCS issue NOT an ABS issue. The recall software update was to correct a possible bad read from a wheel speed sensor causing the TCS to think that wheel had lost traction and then applying the brake to that wheel only to regain traction. The update was done on my 2020 before I took delivery in December, 2019, and I've had absolutely no problem . . and am not concerned that I will. I'm not downplaying the significance of this but it is old news and afaik has been resolved.

And while this may be far fetched I can see a possible scenario where in the event of an accident the insurance company inspects and finds the ABS sensor disconnected they might have a reason to deny or at least complicate a settlement. They know which models have ABS (and probably even asked on the application) and have factored this into the premium.

It only applies to 2019 and early 2020 models as 2019 was the first year for ABS. As Jack pointed out in post # 10 the Traction Control System (TCS) can be disabled. You must do that each time you start engine as default is enabled. It is a TCS issue NOT an ABS issue. The recall software update was to correct a possible bad read from a wheel speed sensor causing the TCS to think that wheel had lost traction and then applying the brake to that wheel only to regain traction. The update was done on my 2020 before I took delivery in December, 2019, and I've had absolutely no problem . . and am not concerned that I will. I'm not downplaying the significance of this but it is old news and afaik has been resolved.

And while this may be far fetched I can see a possible scenario where in the event of an accident the insurance company inspects and finds the ABS sensor disconnected they might have a reason to deny or at least complicate a settlement. They know which models have ABS (and probably even asked on the application) and have factored this into the premium.

Good follow up with your info

Yes the insurance companies know the minute the bike is insured . Thru the VIN they know everything about the bike/ and or trike. Trying to defeat the ABS or traction control will end up causing bad JU JU IMO

Good follow up with your info

Yes the insurance companies know the minute the bike is insured . Thru the VIN they know everything about the bike/ and or trike. Trying to defeat the ABS or traction control will end up causing bad JU JU IMO

It is What It Is . I want control of my trike . Having A B S brake's and traction's control & R D R S That may or may not work That's not for me .

We are in the process of having our 2020 FLHRC converted into a Trike. Our bike presently has ABS and wondering how this would affect the new build?

We are in the process of having our 2020 FLHRC converted into a Trike. Our bike presently has ABS and wondering how this would affect the new build?

ABS is not the problem, it's the traction control that was acting up and needed a software update.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png