Harley Trike ABS Brake Issues 2019 / 2020

Sep 20, 2018
Nebraska
I saw this news story linked on Facebook last Friday.

Have any of you had a problem like this?

My VIN does not show up as being part of this recall, but now my wife doesn't want either of us riding our 2020 Freewheeler.

I'm not sure how to prove whether or not this is a potential problem with our trike.

My VIN does not show up as being part of this recall, but now my wife doesn't want either of us riding our 2020 Freewheeler.

I'm not sure how to prove whether or not this is a potential problem with our trike.

There are a few posts about it….My opinion if you are that worried about riding it trade it in for a Subaru..😱..

Have your dealer check for you. I am pretty sure if your VIN does not show it was on bikes built before yours. I had my dealer check our 2020 ,when I heard about the recall. It did not show up ..We have ridden now close to 16k with no issues. Just back from 5 days of riding in Maggie Valley with many hard braking times. Best of luck. Let the other guy buy a frikin Subaru. Hope this will ease your mind.

This is an older problem but I guess the lawsuit is recent hence the news article. I got my 2020 TG in December, 2019, but it was manufactured a couple months before that. When I was negotiating I learned about the recall and software update. Mine was included and dealer said it had been done. Sure enough when I checked my VIN on the H-D website it showed the recall and said it was complete. So I think your trike was manufactured after the software update and it was already included. All manufacturers are diligent about getting things right as pertains to recalls as they are subject to big fines, etc., if not. Check with your dealer to confirm but if you VIN does not show a recall I wouldn't worry about it.

I've got almost 15k on mine and no issues whatsoever.

This is an older problem but I guess the lawsuit is recent hence the news article. I got my 2020 TG in December, 2019, but it was manufactured a couple months before that. When I was negotiating I learned about the recall and software update. Mine was included and dealer said it had been done. Sure enough when I checked my VIN on the H-D website it showed the recall and said it was complete. So I think your trike was manufactured after the software update and it was already included. All manufacturers are diligent about getting things right as pertains to recalls as they are subject to big fines, etc., if not. Check with your dealer to confirm but if you VIN does not show a recall I wouldn't worry about it.

I've got almost 15k on mine and no issues whatsoever.

In that news report it say's that both of those trike's had the recall done ? I dont want to go into oncoming traffic at any speed and hit head on with anything . Not even a SUBARU

I checked the recall info for my 2020 TG. It is 19V843 issued November 22, 2019. Obviously H-D had to have been working on this problem for quite a while before releasing the recall. So at sometime a 'running change' had to have been made to have this 'new' software installed at the factory. Perhaps a call to H-D could give you that date. I really doubt it but might be worth a try. I feel confident to say that any trike manufactured after the recall date would have the new software.

Here is what the recall says:

The Trike Traction Control System software used on the subject motorcycles may respond incorrectly to a faulty rear wheel speed signal by activating one of the rear brakes

The Traction Control System (TCS) can be deactivated and I think that would preclude this from happening in any case. The default is for TCS to be active so it must be deactivated at each engine start up. Easy enough to do and once in the habit not a big deal I would think. Just an idea for those who are concerned.

I checked the recall info for my 2020 TG. It is 19V843 issued November 22, 2019. Obviously H-D had to have been working on this problem for quite a while before releasing the recall. So at sometime a 'running change' had to have been made to have this 'new' software installed at the factory. Perhaps a call to H-D could give you that date. I really doubt it but might be worth a try. I feel confident to say that any trike manufactured after the recall date would have the new software.

Here is what the recall says:

The Trike Traction Control System software used on the subject motorcycles may respond incorrectly to a faulty rear wheel speed signal by activating one of the rear brakes

The Traction Control System (TCS) can be deactivated and I think that would preclude this from happening in any case. The default is for TCS to be active so it must be deactivated at each engine start up. Easy enough to do and once in the habit not a big deal I would think. Just an idea for those who are concerned.

I got mine the first week of October 2019 my recall was done some time in mid 2020

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png