I'm Convinced My '21 Freewheelers Handlebars Are Bent

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
My brand new $30,000 HD handlebars are bent. What brought this to my attention was putting the fairing and windshield on. It became apparent that the windshield was way closer to the handlebars on the right side than on the left. If you disregard the brake reservoir on the right side and focus on the top bend of the bar, look at the distance from that point to the black acorn nut holding the windshield on then look at the same point on the left side.

If you measure that distance the left side is 1/2" further away. I took the fairing off and went over all the mounting hardware, but there's nothing there that can go on crooked. If you measure from the outer tips of the fairing to any point on the trike they measure the same. If I measure from the outer ends of the handlebars to any point on the trike the left bar measures 1/2" closer.

Now it doesn't seem to bother anything, handles fine, feels fine, but my I'm trying to keep my OCD from kicking in so please tell me that Harley does this on purpose. I mean, I thought that after a hundred years or so they'd of figured out how to make a set of handlebars.

03.jpg

My brand new $30,000 HD handlebars are bent. What brought this to my attention was putting the fairing and windshield on. It became apparent that the windshield was way closer to the handlebars on the right side than on the left. If you disregard the brake reservoir on the right side and focus on the top bend of the bar, look at the distance from that point to the black acorn nut holding the windshield on then look at the same point on the left side. If you measure that distance the left side is 1/2" further away. I took the fairing off and went over all the mounting hardware, but there's nothing there that can go on crooked. If you measure from the outer tips of the fairing to any point on the trike they measure the same. If I measure from the outer ends of the handlebars to any point on the trike the left bar measures 1/2" closer. Now it doesn't seem to bother anything, handles fine, feels fine, but my I'm trying to keep my OCD from kicking in so please tell me that Harley does this on purpose. I mean, I thought that after a hundred years or so they'd of figured out how to make a set of handlebars.

View attachment 102963

They have nothing right after 100 years :D

My brand new $30,000 HD handlebars are bent. What brought this to my attention was putting the fairing and windshield on. It became apparent that the windshield was way closer to the handlebars on the right side than on the left. If you disregard the brake reservoir on the right side and focus on the top bend of the bar, look at the distance from that point to the black acorn nut holding the windshield on then look at the same point on the left side.

If you measure that distance the left side is 1/2" further away. I took the fairing off and went over all the mounting hardware, but there's nothing there that can go on crooked. If you measure from the outer tips of the fairing to any point on the trike they measure the same. If I measure from the outer ends of the handlebars to any point on the trike the left bar measures 1/2" closer.

Now it doesn't seem to bother anything, handles fine, feels fine, but my I'm trying to keep my OCD from kicking in so please tell me that Harley does this on purpose. I mean, I thought that after a hundred years or so they'd of figured out how to make a set of handlebars.

View attachment 102963

Any chance the fairing itself is bent not the hardware but the fairing?..Some aftermarket parts will never be a perfect fit......??

Any chance the fairing itself is bent not the hardware but the fairing?..Some aftermarket parts will never be a perfect fit......??

Even with the fairing off you can see the handlebar is bent. No matter how I measure it the left side always measures 1/2" different that the right.

Harley googled your name before you took delivery. Google knows everything about you,so they quickly realized one arm was shorter than the other. Replacing the standard bars with ergonomically designed bars just for you. I'm surprised they didn't charge you extra for them. When you bring it back for them to see they'll probably realize their oversight and charge you accordingly.:)

Harley googled your name before you took delivery. Google knows everything about you,so they quickly realized one arm was shorter than the other. Replacing the standard bars with ergonomically designed bars just for you. I'm surprised they didn't charge you extra for them. When you bring it back for them to see they'll probably realize their oversight and charge you accordingly.:)

LOL! I'm going with that. Thanks. :laugh:

While getting your bike ready for delivery, the $10.00 hourly kid probably knocked your new bike over which caused the bent bars. Nothing to worry about..... :Joker3: Jim

May be a lighting effect from the reflection of the black cable but I can still see a slight downward curve of the left handlebar under the black cable wire. Would like to run a hand lightly over the top of the bar to see if one could feel a difference…as well, might also be off-center.

PLEASE let us know what your final determination is..

While getting your bike ready for delivery, the $10.00 hourly kid probably knocked your new bike over which caused the bent bars. Nothing to worry about..... :Joker3: Jim

I can see him accidentally picking it up by the right wheel and lifting it until if flipped over on it's side. If that's the case, he may be somebody who doesn't take criticism well and perhaps I'll not mention it.

Some pics with a tape measure. Oh, the handlebars won't move left or right no matter how much I loosen the two accessible bolts. Measuring it there wasn't enough difference for even me to stress over.

Screenshot at 2021-10-07 19-25-02.png

Attachments

• Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 63
Lola, I'm trying to ween myself off the meds. Your not helping :)

John.....As of now the only solution to the problem is to ride up to Secaucus' Park it under the Rt 3 Bridge at the Paterson Plank rd....Now this is important make sure your insurance is up to date...Leave the key in it with the engine running....And have someone drive you home.....;).......:laugh:...

:Joker3:..............Serenity...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png