Axle Bearing Retainer Plate Kit

FirstTrike

50+ Posts
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 21 tri glide and getting ready to have Papa Zook's rake kit installed. Need opinion's on DK Customs axle bearing retainer plate kit. Should I go ahead and have these replaced when I do the rake kit or wait. I am having a shop install the rake kit. I only have 2500 miles on trike. I know trike is still covered under warranty. For those that have replaced the retainer kit, about how long did it take?

Thanks for all the advise.

FirstTrike (Bo)

Hi Everyone,

I have a 21 tri glide and getting ready to have papa zook's rake kit installed. Need opinion's on DK Customs axle bearing retainer plate kit. Should I go ahead and have these replaced when I do the rake kit or wait. I am having a shop install the rake kit. I only have 2500 miles on trike. I know trike is still covered under warranty. For those that have replaced the retainer kit, about how long did it take?

Thanks for all the advise.

FirstTrike (Bo)

I rode down to Zooks shop in June & had him install. In & out same day. We were going on a trip anyway from Ohio, so figured we would just go by way of Tx. Only an extra 1000 miles. Can't begin to tell you how much better trike handles now. LUV IT.. Also had the Retainers done last year .At 10,000 miles scuff marks already appearing. I think the retainer kit took just 3-4 hours. You will be surprised the diff in the retainer plate size.

Like Bill said, the Axle Bearing Retainer Plates install is a 3-4 hour job, IF you have a press. If you don't have a press, you will need to factor in the time to take the axles to somewhere with a press to remove the old and put on the new.

We recommend replacing the bearings when doing this job, so already have those in hand before starting.

It is a pretty easy job, nothing complicated, just a step by step process.

Below is a video we made while doing the plates on Bill's ride.

Kevin

Like Bill said, the Axle Bearing Retainer Plates install is a 3-4 hour job, IF you have a press. If you don't have a press, you will need to factor in the time to take the axles to somewhere with a press to remove the old and put on the new.

We recommend replacing the bearings when doing this job, so already have those in hand before starting.

It is a pretty easy job, nothing complicated, just a step by step process.

Below is a video we made while doing the plates on Bill's ride.

Kevin

Lookin Good there Devin.!! Thanks again for a great job & Thanks to Kevin for arranging it while we were in Az. Went by DK Customs on the way home & had that job done year ago Oct.

The stock harley plates look an awful lot like what Ford was using on the early Mustangs

The auto industry used these cheap stamped plates on many vehicles, including GM cars

Very weak design

Big Kudos to Kevin and crew for once again improving on what IMO Harley got way wrong

Everyone

Thanks for the reply's. I am looking forward to the rake kit install. I think I will be proactive and go ahead with the axle retainer. One more question, what brand and part number did everyone use for replacement bearings?

Thanks again for all the great advise on this forum!!

FirstTrike (Bo)

The stock harley plates look an awful lot like what Ford was using on the early Mustangs

The auto industry used these cheap stamped plates on many vehicles, including GM cars

Very weak design

Big Kudos to Kevin and crew for once again improving on what IMO Harley got way wrong

And yet I never saw one fail?:Shrug:

Everyone

Thanks for the reply's. I am looking forward to the rake kit install. I think I will be proactive and go ahead with the axle retainer. One more question, what brand and part number did everyone use for replacement bearings?

FirstTrike (Bo)

Check with Kevin, or read all of his posts for the bearing he used, if he does not remember, the OEM bearings should have a number on the bearing / and or the race.

That number can be crossed by any good auto jobber or bearing cross reference book

When I replaced my wheel bearings retainer plates, i purchased new bearings from McMaster-Carr. They were SKF 6208-2RS Cost $59.00 Each. My retainer plates were a few thousands thicker that what they are now and I ended up replacing the retaining T bolts to have proper thread engagement.

And yet I never saw one fail?:Shrug:

Most of the time when you read about the differential needing to be rebuilt or replaced, it is because the circlip failed. This ends up being a multi-thousand dollar job.

The reason that circlip fails is because the plates bow, the axle is then able to shift around because the bearing is not being held tight. This overly stresses the clip and it gives way, leading to the differential getting eaten up.

In auto's usually you will see the actual axle is broken...the HD design is a bit different and it is the differential that gets destroyed.

Kevin

Everyone

FirstTrike (Bo)

We've been happy using the National Bearings Brand (Federal-Mogul) Part #208-FF

You can see more info/details at this LINK

Kevin

Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to go ahead and replace plates while installing rake kit. Kevin, thanks for the bearing info and I will be ordering the retainer plates next week. I have already installed the ebs, cool wings, tank lift and tour pak relocation.

This is a great place to get information and thanks again for everyone's help.

FirstTrike (Bo)

Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to go ahead and replace plates while installing rake kit. Kevin, thanks for the bearing info and I will be ordering the retainer plates next week. I have already installed the ebs, cool wings, tank lift and tour pak relocation.

This is a great place to get information and thanks again for everyone's help.

FirstTrike (Bo)

Cool. I believe you will be well pleased with the ABRP's.

We appreciate your business.

Enjoy Your Ride!

Kevin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png