advice or direction engineer answer for a dummy

Bubba74

Oct 29, 2021
Rockford
i triked a 96 heritage with a DNA kit.

i went all out on the kit. i purchased everything from the Axle to the fenders trunk exhaust adapter brake lines u name it in a kit for 4500.

problem is that the body is marketed as UNIVERSAL when it in fact is modeled after a bagger specifically.

it does state in their pitch that with "light mods" it is adaptable to ANY HD.

trust me when i say there is nothing at all simple about mods that need to be done if you own anything other than a bagger. this kit WILL direct bolt to a bagger tho.

i had to modify the body carrier and mounts i had to modify the exhaust routing, and even things that should have lined up by design needed a lil persuasion.

the fenders are designed to accept a max wheel size of 7x17 however i wouldnt suggest it. i was running 7x15 with 1.670 wheel spacers and rubbing the back of the tires.

my builder says i should not go any wider with wheel spacers because it will eat the wheel bearings but he also does not like the look of trunks on a custom o.w. trike so...

anyway my question...

i have decided to eliminate the fenders to go to a wider open wheel but i want to keep the trunk. does anyone know the formula for figuring out what tension capacity is suggested for a 8x15 inch wheel with spacers is? the width between wheels w/o spacers mounted is 33" exactly

spacer is same gauge but wheel is wider creating a larger offset ratio so im stumped and cant for the life of me find my notes from the build start.

dont wanna smoke bearings

ty kindly

Bubba

p.s. im sorry if this isnt the thread for that

i triked a 96 heritage with a DNA kit.

i went all out on the kit. i purchased everything from the Axle to the fenders trunk exhaust adapter brake lines u name it in a kit for 4500.

problem is that the body is marketed as UNIVERSAL when it in fact is modeled after a bagger specifically.

it does state in their pitch that with "light mods" it is adaptable to ANY HD.

trust me when i say there is nothing at all simple about mods that need to be done if you own anything other than a bagger. this kit WILL direct bolt to a bagger tho.

i had to modify the body carrier and mounts i had to modify the exhaust routing, and even things that should have lined up by design needed a lil persuasion.

the fenders are designed to accept a max wheel size of 7x17 however i wouldnt suggest it. i was running 7x15 with 1.670 wheel spacers and rubbing the back of the tires.

my builder says i should not go any wider with wheel spacers because it will eat the wheel bearings but he also does not like the look of trunks on a custom o.w. trike so...

anyway my question...

i have decided to eliminate the fenders to go to a wider open wheel but i want to keep the trunk. does anyone know the formula for figuring out what tension capacity is suggested for a 8x15 inch wheel with spacers is? the width between wheels w/o spacers mounted is 33" exactly

spacer is same gauge but wheel is wider creating a larger offset ratio so im stumped and cant for the life of me find my notes from the build start.

dont wanna smoke bearings

ty kindly

Bubba

p.s. im sorry if this isnt the thread for that

its not a 59 caddy

it weighs nothing

i want some of what the builder is smoking :)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png