Vehicle service experiences

ultrafxr

1250+ Posts
Reaction score
This regards my auto rather than my tri-glide but this most likely will (and probably has) spilled over into motorcycle service. Been getting some DTCs on my 2019 Audi Q5 and called to make an appointment to check things out. As of today, November 11th, the first available service appointment is during the week after Christmas - seven weeks away. I asked what is going on and the response was they are very backed up in service due to shortage of technicians. It sure seems things are getting much worse rather than better unfortunately. Anyone else experiencing delays such as this?

THis does not surprise me. My neighbor had his Ford truck stuck @ the dealer for 2 months for a neutral safety switch problem

The dealership did not have a qualified tech to do the diagnostics or the repair

I did the diagnostics and provided the DTC, but the dealer said that was not the proper protocol, that said when looking @ the print out of the repair lo and behold there were the same DTC I had found

This regards my auto rather than my tri-glide but this most likely will (and probably has) spilled over into motorcycle service. Been getting some DTCs on my 2019 Audi Q5 and called to make an appointment to check things out. As of today, November 11th, the first available service appointment is during the week after Christmas - seven weeks away. I asked what is going on and the response was they are very backed up in service due to shortage of technicians. It sure seems things are getting much worse rather than better unfortunately. Anyone else experiencing delays such as this?

Flip side. Stopped at the GMC dealer Mon, asked for an appt to check cruise. Could have an appt next day. Went in at 10 out at 11. No parts needed just updates to computers.

Flip side. Stopped at the GMC dealer Mon, asked for an appt to check cruise. Could have an appt next day. Went in at 10 out at 11. No parts needed just updates to computers.

I hear 'ya. Lots more GM vehicles and dealers than Audi. Only one Audi dealer here in the metro area but there are five GMC dealers. Makes a difference for sure.

a friend who took his bike to dealer to have fluid changed, noticed bill was a lot higher. asked why, told that they was training a new person and it took longer. he will never go back he was the kind of person that would buy new bikes every other year and spend lots on them.they lost a good customer

they was training a new person and it took longer

By the same stretch, if a guy gets really good at changing oil and gets it done very quickly, would they charge the customer LESS? Doubt it.

PC

A few years ago I switched from a Goldwing to a Can Am Spyder. Local dealer charged one hour labor for oil changes. I was OK with that. Then they started charging a full 2 hours labor. I asked why. They told me it was because that's what everyone else was charging. The lack of a good dealer service network and, in particular, a servicing dealer in my area that I trusted is the primary reason I sold my Spyder and went back to Honda. My local service shop for my Honda charges 1/3 hour (20 minutes) labor for oil and filter changes..... Jim

By the same stretch, if a guy gets really good at changing oil and gets it done very quickly, would they charge the customer LESS? Doubt it.

PC

Dealers be it car or bike dealers charge by book hours on routine jobs...Other jobs they charge by the posted hourly rate...

A month ago I had my 10,000 mi service done on 20 Tri. Drove it home approx 9 mi parked in the garage. The next morning I came out to the garage and there was approx 10 in oil spot underneath the bike. Jacked it up and come to find out the oil drain plug was not tighten down. Called the dealership and raised hell. They told me to bring it back in and the shop foreman would go over the bike. Well thinking I solved the problem by tightening the oil drain plug, I went on a 300 mi ride. Got back home parked the bike, 2 hours later go back out and there is another oil spot. Jack it up again, started checking things and find the drain plug to the transmission was loose. Should of checked it first time I had it jacked. Needless to say that is the last time that Harley Dealership will see this Tri

A month ago I had my 10,000 mi service done on 20 Tri. Drove it home approx 9 mi parked in the garage. The next morning I came out to the garage and there was approx 10 in oil spot underneath the bike. Jacked it up and come to find out the oil drain plug was not tighten down. Called the dealership and raised hell. They told me to bring it back in and the shop foreman would go over the bike. Well thinking I solved the problem by tightening the oil drain plug, I went on a 300 mi ride. Got back home parked the bike, 2 hours later go back out and there is another oil spot. Jack it up again, started checking things and find the drain plug to the transmission was loose. Should of checked it first time I had it jacked. Needless to say that is the last time that Harley Dealership will see this Tri

Not saying this is why the mechanic didn't tighten the drain plugs...[In this instanced]

But personal cell phones ''Should Not Be Aloud In The Shop'' ....Ive seen this happen..The mechanic gets a call from his Girlfriend/Wife....And then he loses track of what he should be doing...:mad:...

Not saying this is why the mechanic didn't tighten the drain plugs...[In this instanced]

But personal cell phones ''Should Not Be Aloud In The Shop'' ....Ive seen this happen..The mechanic gets a call from his Girlfriend/Wife....And then he loses track of what he should be doing...:mad:...

Yes indeed Bob. I had problems with one guy in particular always yacking on the phone.

I solved that problem right quick, I asked him if I could see his phone. I pocketed it and gave it back to him at the end of his shift:p

I took my 15 Freewheeler in for a leaky rear shock

My regular SM was off that day , I should have known better and waited

A service writer in training came out to my trike and started smashing on the rear brake pedal and asking me if I was sire it was not a brake fluid leak

I looked at him and said yup, but now you have destroyed my rear brake switch and I want that fixed today also

Outcome

A service writer in training came out to my trike and started smashing on the rear brake pedal and asking me if I was sire it was not a brake fluid leak

I looked at him and said yup, but now you have destroyed my rear brake switch and I want that fixed today also

Good response Jack…….what was the outcome?

I'm curious why would smashing down on the rear brake pedal damage the switch. You're gonna stomp on that pedal if someone pulls out in front of you.:Shrug:

I'm curious why would smashing down on the rear brake pedal damage the switch. You're gonna stomp on that pedal if someone pulls out in front of you.:Shrug:

Maybe.................................The brake switches on Harleys are like the the little glass window on fire alarm box's...For One time use only...;)-;).....:Shrug:

I dunno, all I know is I watched him smash it down 3 times from a standing along side of my trike

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png