• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

New member from Arizona

Deplorable

50+ Posts
Reaction score
Hi all. I just registered and posted on the new member board.

I am here on a fact finding mission to decide whether to trike my GoldWing or trade it on on a Can Am RT Limited.

So far the money is the same so the biggest consideration will be passenger comfort and convenience. We have owned GoldWings since 1982 so my wife is familiar with them, but not as trike.

Most of my riding alone is local but when we ride together it is usually a couple hundred miles and at least one long touring trip of several thousand miles. We prefer 2 lane roads rather than the interstate.

Any input would be appreciated, especially from former GoldWing owners.

Hi Rob and welcome:welcome:again. In your search to decide, I hope you can find a dealer you can get a test ride on a Spyder. An RTL would be closest to your Goldwing experience. Paws gave you some good reviews on both types of trikes. Also good advice to know if your kit is still being made and if you can still get parts or if parts can be found elsewhere. I had to put new seals and brakes on the trike rear end and the company was no longer around. Luckily a friend recognized it as a Mustang II and I was able to find parts at NAPA. If it is being offered near you try and take the Spyder riding class. It will teach you a lot and is a good introduction to Spyders, and triking in general. Good luck on your decision.

Hello Rob......Welcome to Trike Talk......from North Ga. ..:wave4:

I would test ride both to see if one or the other suits your needs. Not everyone has the same style or seating for riding.

I came from a triglide to the Spyder much better ride and comfort. I really like the paddle shifting too.

What with all the delays and parts shortages/labor....The Spyder would be my choice..

The Spyder is factory made and done....How many conversion's do you read about that the buyer has to go back and forth a few times to get little thing's adjusted, [And sometimes major things]......At this stage of the game ''My'' tolerance to go back and forth is Zero.........Just something to consider.....:Shrug:..

I have had both, a conventional trike and a Spyder. My take is this, if it's passenger comfort you want most, trike out the GW. I believe your passenger will be much more pleased. Yes, you may have issues with getting work down by Honda dealers because it's triked out (I did), and you will have to find parts for the trike kit if you have problems with it. My conventional trike was my Cadillac and my Spyder is my Corvette.

Now......I am most pleased with my Spyder that I have put almost 45,000 miles on it so far (2017 F3-Ltd), and my wife rides her own 2016 F3-T with close to 55,000 miles on it. But, we both ride solo so there is no concern with passenger comfort. The Spyder RT has more comfort than the F3 models and is more of a "touring" version. The F3 is more sportier.

If at all possible, ride both with a passenger to see the difference, that will make your decision much, much easier and will help you match YOUR needs with a trike.

Depends... I weigh in at 185 and ride 1 up most times. With that weight on it the goldwing rides like a dump truck 2 0r 3 wheeler (roadsmith). Spyder rides much better for me and has real reverse and more luggage space.

Update

Thanks for all the input. I decided to trike my GoldWing; mainly because with a reverse trike there was no major change in the ride for my wife and I and the CanAm just did not fit us. Driver seating position and passenger room were the biggest problems. The only advice from the dealer was to start dumping money into seats and accesories to try to get it to fit.

I decided to go with the Endeavor conversion because between Hannigan, Road Smith and Endeavor, Norm at Endeavor was the most informative.

After over 4000 miles we are completely comfortable with the handling characteristics.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png