Front Tire

I want to replace my front tire again, I have a 2016 Wing, with a CSC trike kit, I ride very aggressive, and I want to see if anybody is running the Goldwing back tire on the front of there trike. I probably get maybe 10,000 miles out of my front tires now, and they are the Elite4.

I have a 2019 Indian Roadmaster Elite with a DMC side car, and the shop recently put a rear tire on the front of it, and put the rotation on backward,

I want to know has anybody done this to there Goldwing trike? If so which tire you running and what size? Does anybody know where I can get any information on this?

Thanks Nudels

Kevin's video provides all the good information about running a rear MC tire backwards on a trike. I am running a Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70-18 rear MC tire backwards on the front of my 2008 Goldwing/CSC trike. The tire was on the bike when I bought it, so I have no idea how many miles it has. But, I've put over 12,000 miles on it and it still has a few more before needing replacement. Hope this helps..... Jim

I have used the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 and it is a rear tire that gets mounted on the front. It provided many miles to me. Problem with it was that it's a bias ply tire and gave a stiff ride. I had to run it around 36-38psi or it pounded me on the bumps.

That got finally switched out to a Michelin Pilot Activ which was also a rear tire mounted on the front. It too gave me many miles but suffered due to it being a bias ply so was also run at 36-38psi.

I now have the Avon Cobra Chrome AV-91 tire on front. This, hands down is my favorite choice for front tire. This one is different due to it being a radial and I am running it at 41psi and gives me a nice smooth all around ride. It grabs the road very well. I did just put this on middle of last year so I'm not sure on how many miles I will be able to get out of it. But it is wearing well. If you decide to look into this be aware that there are 2 AV-91 tires in this size. The one you want will have "TRIKE" on the sidewall.

And before someone brings it up, I did disable the ADV (anti dive valve) but still had a rough ride with both the BT45 and MPA bias plies unless I lowered the tire pressure but didn't completely smooth it out. Switching to the AV-91 radial was the best choice and greatly improved the riding experience. Unfortunately the price on these have gone up and they aren't cheap.

Thanks for all of the great information guys.

My bike is a 2021 Harley Ultra, and it is being triked in March.

My bike only has 780 miles on it - so, the front tire is new. In the past, when I owned my GW (back in 1996 or so), I used to run a rear tire in my MotorTrike and did so with it in reverse. Back then, this is what everyone did. If you had a sidecar on your bike, you did the same things. Now, all of a sudden, this is coming back.

So, once my bike is done and that first tire wears out, i will again go back to a rear tire, reversed. Great info on the Avon that says trike - that us new info for me.

Thanks again

Thanks for all of the great information guys.

My bike is a 2021 Harley Ultra, and it is being triked in March.

My bike only has 780 miles on it - so, the front tire is new. In the past, when I owned my GW (back in 1996 or so), I used to run a rear tire in my MotorTrike and did so with it in reverse. Back then, this is what everyone did. If you had a sidecar on your bike, you did the same things. Now, all of a sudden, this is coming back.

So, once my bike is done and that first tire wears out, i will again go back to a rear tire, reversed. Great info on the Avon that says trike - that us new info for me.

Thanks again

Just wanted to mention, the front Avon Venom for Harleys is a bias ply. The Goldwing version is a radial. But they will say Trike on the sidewall.

https://www.avontyres.com/en-us/tyres/cobra-chrome-trike

I ran a BT-45 on my last Trike and loved it. I just bought the new BT-46 and will have it installed if this current weather ever ends here in Southern Ohio.

Planning on the same thing here in Northern Kentucky. I'm going to also add tire monitor sensors. It's a small world.

Bill

Bill, had my front tire installed today. The BT-46 Turned out the rotor had to be removed since the forks were too tight to get the tire out. Looked like someone at the installer had tightened the pinch bolts before the axle nut and pulled it together. Took 1 1/2 hours to change the tire. ( you can guess what that cost). I called CSC and Will said they have seen several forks come in that were machined wrong and had to be "widened" but they wouldn't trust a dealer to do that. I told him I was over 7 hrs from the factory and he said he would check with the boss and see what he could do.

I will keep you informed.

Proper spec for CSC fork?

Bill, had my front tire installed today. The BT-46 Turned out the rotor had to be removed since the forks were too tight to get the tire out. Looked like someone at the installer had tightened the pinch bolts before the axle nut and pulled it together. Took 1 1/2 hours to change the tire. ( you can guess what that cost). I called CSC and Will said they have seen several forks come in that were machined wrong and had to be "widened" but they wouldn't trust a dealer to do that. I told him I was over 7 hrs from the factory and he said he would check with the boss and see what he could do.

I will keep you informed.

***Can you let us know what the proper specs should be on the CSC forks as well. Had my 2018 GW DCT Tour CSC kit installed back last April, curious. TIA.

***Can you let us know what the proper specs should be on the CSC forks as well. Had my 2018 GW DCT Tour CSC kit installed back last April, curious. TIA.

I did hear back from CSC and they admitted they had had a issue the past year with some forks ordered that were " not correctly speced" Now they are measuring every one. They have agreed to replace the forks and are working it out that a dealer in Ohio will do the installment sometime this Spring. I'll have to ride about 160 miles from home, but it beats 460 to Virginia. If you contact Will at CSC he can give you the proper specs, I'm sure. Hope this helps

Lots of information here about the front tire.

I was at my dealership on Saturday - and they were doing a "Fat Tire" install. Harley has a kit that replaces the front tire and wheel for their bikes.

Essentially, it's a rear wheel run backwards. Wife and I thought just howe nice this would look on our new trike. Sounds like several of the other guys thought the same thing.

Sounds like the kit is around $750 and the includes the wheel, tire and fork adjustments. Still, you have to buy a new fender.

i8M4hp3.jpg

sh0rACB.jpg

This has already been done on Goldwings. Hannigan offers their 180 front end kit which is a new wheel and car tire but IIRC, it's a several thousand dollar option because not only does it require new wheel and hardware but new triple tree to accommodate the increased width of the forks to handle the wider tire. There is also the leading link front end but I don't know too much about it.

I will say that I'm really surprised that the Harley version would only cost around $750. I would think it would be tremendously higher in cost.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png