S&S 128 vs HD 131

Strohkr

100+ Posts
Sep 16, 2010
NORTH DAKOTA
IF you wanted to upgrade your 114 to something bigger while still having touring reliability which would you choose?

S&S's 128 Big Bore Kit or Harley's 131 Big Bore Kit?

And why?

Thinking about it for my 2021 Tri-Glide.

Not really sure why - I like the 114 - performed great on our 4000 mile road trip last summer.

Probably should just leave it alone.

But.....:D

I did the the 128 from Fuel Moto, what they sold me did not work in my trike. Removed all of that crap, went with screamin eagle 117 cylinders, pistons, heads, throttle body, injectors, red shift 472 cam, S&S oil pump & cam plate, fueling 1 piece push rods, Thunder max tuner, gutted head pipe. It had plenty of power and was more ridable, at low speeds in traffic 1st 2nd gear it was smooth, catch the right rpm shifting from 3rd to 4th it would pick the wheel off the ground. A128 -131 its just a bigger bore, take a 454 chevy and a good running small block I'll take the small block any day. My Opinion

There is a member that has the 131,maybe he will jump in and give some info. I have a 2017 which is the 107,I had the S&S 465 cam,S&S lifters,new oil pump,new head pipe and a TTS tuner installed long with a good tune and im very happy with it.

PaPa Zook just finished a CSC conversion on my 2017 CVO Limited. I also loved the power of the stock 114 for over 11,000 miles. Then I hauled it up to Fuel Moto and had them do a 124 conversion. You can see the difference dyno chart. Now if I can get used to this trike stuff........LOL

Attachments

• 20211205_121104.jpg
    20211205_121104.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • dyno graph.jpg
    dyno graph.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 75
PaPa Zook just finished a CSC conversion on my 2017 CVO Limited. I also loved the power of the stock 114 for over 11,000 miles. Then I hauled it up to Fuel Moto and had them do a 124 conversion. You can see the difference dyno chart. Now if I can get used to this trike stuff........LOL

Nice trike. Thats a lot of torque out of a trike, is that your Dyno sheet on Fuel Motos Dyno, if that was a two wheeler it be 150 & ft pounds. That Has got to be a ROCKET . ENJOY

Very interesting dyno chart. I have never seen a trikes dyno numbers mirror that of a two wheeler.

I have followed FMs testing and those numbers are almost exactly the same for bikes. Most feel there will be at least a 5%+ parasitic loss from the drivetrain.

If you are going to tour, how important is gas mileage to you?

Gas mileage is not important to me. I just want reliability and power.

On my 2021 I put on V&H headers, V&H High Output Mufflers w/DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts, Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C, S/E Stage 2 Torque Kit w/S/E 447 cam, S/E Pro-Street Tuner.

To be honest it runs great and I have no clue if an S&S 128 or the HD 131 is going to make that much difference. I went with the Pro-Street Tuner because nothing else was available at that time.

I probably should just leave it alone and ride the darn thing but for some reason I'm drooling for a 128 or a 131! I just would like to know which one would be the better choice - I'm leaning toward the 131 which I could have done before riding season starts.

Gas mileage is not important to me. I just want reliability and power.

On my 2021 I put on V&H headers, V&H High Output Mufflers w/DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts, Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C, S/E Stage 2 Torque Kit w/S/E 447 cam, S/E Pro-Street Tuner.

To be honest it runs great and I have no clue if an S&S 128 or the HD 131 is going to make that much difference. I went with the Pro-Street Tuner because nothing else was available at that time.

I probably should just leave it alone and ride the darn thing but for some reason I'm drooling for a 128 or a 131! I just would like to know which one would be the better choice - I'm leaning toward the 131 which I could have done before riding season starts.

LEAVE IT ALONE , you will be $ 8000. richer and 10 M P G better. There are a lot better cams out there, maybe try a red shift 468 ???

IF you wanted to upgrade your 114 to something bigger while still having touring reliability which would you choose?

S&S's 128 Big Bore Kit or Harley's 131 Big Bore Kit?

And why?

Thinking about it for my 2021 Tri-Glide.

Not really sure why - I like the 114 - performed great on our 4000 mile road trip last summer.

Probably should just leave it alone.

But.....:D

I don't think Chuck has a Dyno sheet on his 131 Tri Glide. But my guess is that it is well north of 120 ft. lbs. Torque. It is a monster AND it gets very close to the same MPG as a Stage I 114.

Sorry for the audio, but this video is something that you may want to watch, and then get in touch with him. He goes by Highaltitude on the forum here.

Kevin

Hi,

Just curious on how you got a dyno sheet from Fuel Moto. Last fall I spoke with Jamie and he said they could not dyno trikes.

When the tech did the dyno on my trike he told me that a trike will typically make 10 hp and 10 lbs torque less then a two wheeler due to parasitic drag from the wheels axles ect.

Late to see this (busy playing in the snow.....).

I have over 8K miles on the HD 131 (mine was not the "kit" from HD, but a 131cc build with specific part choices made based on my riding style and the fact I lived at over 7,000ft elevation). I REALLY like it. I do believe other mfg's builds will get you higher numbers, and probably better performance to the wheels. I believe that HD's kit is a bit on the conservative side and what it lacks in numbers it gains in reliability. It just doesn't "push" things as hard as others......

The absolute best thing about having the motor done is the increased "drivability". That is not going to show up on the dyno sheet.... The power comes on about 1,000 rpms lower than stock in each gear. Throttle response is excellent. At all speeds lower than being on the interstate, I now am one gear higher than before..... Overall mileage is about 1mpg less than the stage one I had. Of course, there's a lot of potential to make it really poor.... :)

Kevin is correct, I don't have a dyno sheet. My building dealer didn't have a trike dyno. I was given the same map as a touring bike they did with the same motor. The two wheeled build was over 140ftlbs of torque (dealers dyno at 6,000ft).

LMK if you have specific questions......

Chuck

128 - What were the problems?

I did the the 128 from Fuel Moto, what they sold me did not work in my trike. Removed all of that crap, went with screamin eagle 117 cylinders, pistons, heads, throttle body, injectors, red shift 472 cam, S&S oil pump & cam plate, fueling 1 piece push rods, Thunder max tuner, gutted head pipe. It had plenty of power and was more ridable, at low speeds in traffic 1st 2nd gear it was smooth, catch the right rpm shifting from 3rd to 4th it would pick the wheel off the ground. A128 -131 its just a bigger bore, take a 454 chevy and a good running small block I'll take the small block any day. My Opinion

Hey RD!

I put in a new cam (WM8-22XE) but I am still drooling over the FM 128 Big Bore Kit.

You said you put a FM 128 in your bike but you said it did not work right for you in your Trike.

Can you take it one step further and kind of explain what you meant by it didn't work for you?

I really want to do it and probably will before the end of summer but I'd like to know what your problems/concerns were and how they may be overcome.

I was originally thinking of doing the HD 131 but it's about twice the money of the FM 128.

Don't pull any punches with me - I'm looking for the lowdown so I can make an informed decisiojn.

Thanks!!

Here is a follow up video on Chucks 131 build in his 2019 Tri Glide. Dyno sheet is in this new video.

Two really important things, besides there massive 136 ft. lbs torque-

1. With the cooling mods installed, the temps were well under control, very close to what my 2019 TG runs at. Details in the first video

2. MPG almost identical to my 2019 TG.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png