Intermittent electrical

The sga

Ok. Looks like I had a couple corroded connections and the power issue is corrected. Engine cranks good but no start. No spark at plugs. Center wire to coil has power but nothing coming from coils. I read some other posts of a possible angle sensor. Where is it located? Any ideas?

Ok. Looks like I had a couple corroded connections and the power issue is corrected. Engine cranks good but no start. No spark at plugs. Center wire to coil has power but nothing coming from coils. I read some other posts of a possible angle sensor. Where is it located? Any ideas?

If you follow the link in post 11 it will show you how to scan your ECM for codes, if your sensor is bad it should show a code

Most trouble codes I have seen are related to crank or cam sensors, they will kill your spark

Good on you for finding your cranking problem, stay with it and you will figure it out

I believe the sensor is part of the turn signal module

That should turn up a code when you scan the ECM follow post #11 to scan for codes

Working

Ok I found sensor connection at the module and tested sensor..1st test was .5.2nd test was 4.5 3rd 1.0. The connector seemed loose so I reassembled and it seemed secure. Bike starts right up and idles good..does not die in a few seconds like it did prior. I also went to the speedometer reset and read code d01clr. Is that code good? Thanks for all your help.

Ok I found sensor connection at the module and tested sensor..1st test was .5.2nd test was 4.5 3rd 1.0. The connector seemed loose so I reassembled and it seemed secure. Bike starts right up and idles good..does not die in a few seconds like it did prior. I also went to the speedometer reset and read code d01clr. Is that code good? Thanks for all your help.

Glad you found the culprit & thanks for letting us know. :clapping::clapping:

Update on your code, it is a speedometer code that checked the speed sensor showing the code is clear.

I have not seen this list of codes before. The early 1999-03 bikes had some strange codes and a totally different way to check them. Go back to post 11 for info on that, or possible your Clymer or Haynes manual shows that.

Back to the drawing board.

I thought I had issue figured out but I guess not. Took bike down to the corner and back and it died. Light out everything dead. 5 to 10 seconds later everything comes on..it will crank. Backfire..run good about 5 to 10 seconds and die again. I believe it's that sensor as some of you thought. Anything else you can think of?

Do you have a check engine light on?

The problem you continue to have sure sounds like a crank sensor, it surely should show up on a diagnostic scan as low or no output

Yes cel is illuminated..dealer didn't have one the other day suppose to be in on Wednesday.

Have you checked the wires to the sensor? They do sometimes break from vibration, tho I am leaning more to the pick up coil in that sensor has shorted

Good luck and do check back in when your problem is fixed

Sensor

One question.. Will that failed sensor cause the electrical system to completely go blank. This bike will start and run 5 to 10 sec then quit. No lights no nothing. Wait about 10 seconds the lights come back on.

One question.. Will that failed sensor cause the electrical system to completely go blank. This bike will start and run 5 to 10 sec then quit. No lights no nothing. Wait about 10 seconds the lights come back on.

I have not seen that, electrical problems have a cursed past.

Check your wires on the starter, make sure you have good and clean connections. Also pull you main fuse and clean the connections just for grins

Anything is possible under the right conditions

Starter?

When the bike acts up as I said "the lights go out" literally. It's like you turn switch off. You wait a few moments and everything comes back. It will start and run a few moments and stops again. One thing when that happens it sometimes backfires trying to restart.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png