Preload shock 2008 GL1800 Cobra

Jan 29, 2022
Spence
Hi All,

I'm new to the Trike community. I bought a 2008 GL1800 California Side car and I think it is the Cobra edition. I can hear the motor working when I adjust it from 0 to 25... However there is no movement. I've watched video's on how to add fluid if it was a plain GL1800. But I can't find any information on how to take the Sidecar off so I can get to the Preload motor. I would also like to replace the rubber hose with the metal one... Does anyone know the part number and where to get it?

Also I would like to also know where i can buy a complete manual to tear down and rebuild this trike.

Thanks

Go down to the Cobra section on this page to download the installation instructions and obviously just work in reverse:

https://californiasidecar.com/support

Direct link to manual to download here:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/19...ra & CobraXL Trike 1-20.pdf?ver=1642020130626

As far as the hose, it's not a rubber hose but some kind of thick plastic. I have read a couple threads on other forums where they have mentioned the hose "swelling" but that's just not true and no one has ever been able to provide any proof that this has actually occurred. And actually I have never seen any posts that mentioned it ever bursting as well. I see nothing wrong with doing that upgrade but it really isn't necessary.

The biggest problem is that the rear shock reservoir is underfilled with the Honda SS-7 suspension fluid and doesnt actually start pressurizing the system until sometimes 9 or 10 so you cant take full advantage of the system. It could have been as simple as the piston was not fully depressed when the system was originally filled. The easiest way to check it is like you did and run it down to 0 and start increasing. If it's needing hydraulic fluid, you will usually hear it change tone (from a higher tone to a lower more labored tone) as the pressure increases. Many times like I mentioned around 9 or 10. If it doesn't change tone, it may be working properly.

On my Viper, I did fill the reservoir fill before it was converted so I know it's working properly. Mine will change tone down around 1. And it may be my imagination, but mine really won't raise up much if at all when going all the way up to 25. What does happen is that the suspension will get stiffer and be able to handle a larger load. The CSC trikes are a different setup than a GL1800. The GL1800 will have the shock mounted vertically and you will notice an increase of height the higher you go. The CSC shock is designed differently and mounted horizontally to the IRS suspension so a completely different setup that does incorporate the the OEM preloader mounted onto their shock to allow for some adjustments.

Just to add, the CSC trikes do sit rather low IMHO. If the suspension feels too loose and not supportive, the shock can be adjusted. There is more information on this in the download I linked to above. Same idea as many motorcycle shocks and the preload can be increased. It is normally set by installer to the average load that the owner will have. Be that 1 up, 2 up, hauling a trailer, etc... It's not always the most ideal setting but will work for most. Also, IMHO, the trike rake should come with a 2" fork extension instead of the 1" extension that it does. I finally swapped those out a while ago and installed 2" extensions which gave me a tad more clearance and really like it better now.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png