Leman trailer hitch

Jan 29, 2022
Waskom Tx
Hi All, Just traded for a 97 Leman Trike 1500. I looked under it and all the wiring harnesses are there as well as the hitch frame, I am in need of the draw bar that runs out the rear, any body have that? Or know where to get one. Back of trike sure is low to the ground!!!:)

Thanks, Ralph

The white one was a trike I saw at a rally years ago, but it was an idea.<br>

The red one was mine, a '97 GL1500SE / Lehman GTL. The stock draw bar was a flat piece of chromed steel with an S in it to rase the hitch ball. I made my 1.25" x 1.25" receiver and reinforced it with the longer bar made from channel anchored to a fabricated cross bar anchored to the former center stand mounts. I'm not sure what I did with the Lehman draw bar. If I find it, I'll report back. It would be easy to fab, just not in chrome. It was 1/2" thick, maybe just 3/8", but near 3" wide. Thickness was from top of a pin to a glued in rubber cushion in the channel, I think was 3/8" more I think on it. <br><br>Easy to measure if the stainless steel box is still there, I'll try to illustrate with the last picture. I don't know the length, but if you have the sinless steel mount box shaped bracket, easy to measure and put the ball close enough, just need enough room to clear the hitch coupler's forward lip. The extra holes were provided to allow adjustment, though I never knew a reason to use them. The "S" bend raised the ball mount after the flat cleared the bumper. Member here " Lee H Mann " might even have one.

Attachments

• Rally in the Valley 2005 white trike hitch 640.JPG
    Rally in the Valley 2005 white trike hitch 640.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 79
  • reciever 640.jpg
    reciever 640.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 81
  • reciever support 640.jpg
    reciever support 640.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 74
  • reciever details 1 900.jpg
    reciever details 1 900.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 79
Trailer hitch

Wow Les

Thanks for the pics and info. Great looking 1500

trike! Mine is same paint job. How did you get your backend so high? Will do the measuring an a drawing of the hitches you provided in pics.

Thanks again, Ralph

Wow Les

Thanks for the pics and info. Great looking 1500

trike! Mine is same paint job. How did you get your backend so high? Will do the measuring an a drawing of the hitches you provided in pics.

Thanks again, Ralph
I just kept air in the rear Progressive air / spring / shocks. In that drawing portion, the distance between the two pins was what it is from front most pin hole to the rear pin, a steel tube was welded across front of drawbar which maintained position. The bar just rode on top of the rear pin. Rear tires 215/70-15 replaced original Dunlop Qualifier G/T 245/60-15 tires, only slightly taller, 1" narrower, and 4 pounds lighter each. I spaced the rear wheels out 1/2" to set the tire back towards the fender for looks. but is a tight install. Used longer Moroso studs too, but if doing it today might would just use 225/60-15 tires and call it done.

The stronger receiver hitch I made from tubing, etc ... the weight was placed on the hitch was shared between the ss box looking bracket and the former center stand mount, like when you shovel snow. When you shovel, you like a longer handle to pick up the shovel once loaded with snow. Same deal in leverage. I built a carrier too, can stand on it, or sit on it at rest stops along the way. The long straight "lever" going to the center stand mount also stiffened the rear chassis, but I did have to make allowances for jacking.

Below are pics of the correct Progressing seal kit and install instructions ... in case yours leak. Might pay to look on line for them, google, etc now.

Attachments

• Progressive seal parts 3.jpg
    Progressive seal parts 3.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Progressive seal R&R 1000w.jpg
    Progressive seal R&R 1000w.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Progressive seal parts 1.jpg
    Progressive seal parts 1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 78

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png