Honda working on Motorcycle Seatbelts

Mar 29, 2008
USA
Yep, you read it right. Honda is working on a system of seatbelts for motorcycles.

Seems crazy, but it looks like a serious project from the patents Honda has filed for the system. Designed for bikes like the Goldwing, where the rider won't be hanging off or moving around much in the seat, the belt arrangement is designed to make sure an airbag can work more and to reduce the chances of injuries, particularly in the sort of accident where the bike comes to a sudden halt.

However, the firm has recognized that in a lot of accidents it's better to be away from the bike rather than attached to it, so it's new seatbelt system also has elements of ejector seat in the mix. When the computer senses that the bike is irretrievably tipping over it releases the entire seat, with the rider still attached, and inflates an airbag backrest. The idea is that having ejected you slide down the road in a sitting position, with the seat betwixt your hide and the asphalt. Sort of extreme tobogganing.

To be fair, when bike airbags were first mooted the idea seemed mad, and they've worked out pretty well on the Goldwing even if the idea hasn't spread elsewhere yet. Perhaps with enough development this could turn out to be a real safety boon. But we don't suggest you throw out your leathers just yet.

hondaSetabelt1-1.jpg

Source: visordown.com

Does anyone know of a wreck involving the Goldwing with air bag and how did it turn out? I am sure they have happened, but I do not even know anyone who ownes one.

That was your "witty" reply "...Harleys rule!"

I think that Honda should be applauded for thinking of something to ensure their airbag application works better. If they hadn't made allowances for the bike upending and releasing the seat...that would have been a dumb idea but it appears they may be approaching several different solutions to protect...well maybe not your hide....but somebody's hide if they are sliding down the highway. Does it mean it will work correctly all the time...good chance it won't...but for those who have had road rash on their posterior it may have made a difference.

...and progress marches on...maybe....

Dennis

72 dtg Dubai
73 dtg Home for good!

"YES".....we have had one Rider here that was "probably" saved by His Gold Wing Airbag. He purchased one of the very first Gold colored Airbag equipped Gold Wings right after They became available. He lives in Shelbyville, an Airplane Design Engineer, and T-boned a Car back last October. The Airbag inflated and He landed into it instead of the metal roof of the car. Three broken fingers after landing on the road.....coulda' been really bad.

He and I had a lengthy conversation about His Bike when He first got it, as I was a real skeptic in the beginning.....I have come to realize the Airbag may be a real safety feature. I still prefer "less" over "more" gimics/clutter on my Trikes/Motorcycles/Scooters, but like my acceptance over time of Trunks, GPS, etc., etc., I have accepted Airbags. Until a finished/engineered Belt System is actually put into production, I'm sitting on the fence with an open mind this time.......:rolleyes::wtg:

Have an 'Ol Viet Nam Buddy with Parkinson's that'd Love to Ride and wouldn't think it was such a rediculous Idea! Saw a Blueprint for a Bike Rollcage the other day that's being considered as a Safety Device Accessory for Bikes in Europe...Now you don't have to want one but it just may put More Bikes on the Road and Help reduce Fuel Consumption and Increase Awareness in Our Great Country! :pepper: :GL1800:

Only the japaneze would think of such a rediculous thing... Harleys Rule !!

Problem with "options" is that soon become "mandatory" skyrocketing the price. I have one experience with Martin/Baker ejection seats and trust me they get you away from the danger quickly and never "drag" you into more danger. If I am forced into something I want it to work well. I will watch this closely to see where the engineering goes.

"YES".....we have had one Rider here that was "probably" saved by His Gold Wing Airbag. He purchased one of the very first Gold colored Airbag equipped Gold Wings right after They became available. He lives in Shelbyville, an Airplane Design Engineer, and T-boned a Car back last October. The Airbag inflated and He landed into it instead of the metal roof of the car. Three broken fingers after landing on the road.....coulda' been really bad.

He and I had a lengthy conversation about His Bike when He first got it, as I was a real skeptic in the beginning.....I have come to realize the Airbag may be a real safety feature. I still prefer "less" over "more" gimics/clutter on my Trikes/Motorcycles/Scooters, but like my acceptance over time of Trunks, GPS, etc., etc., I have accepted Airbags. Until a finished/engineered Belt System is actually put into production, I'm sitting on the fence with an open mind this time.......:rolleyes::wtg:

Thanks Skutter, that was what I was looking for some first hand accident experience.

Did that total his Bike?

Thanks Skutter, that was what I was looking for some first hand accident experience.

Did that total his Bike?

Yep, Bike was totalled....He actually hit pretty hard at about 50 mph (estimated). Just as He moved into the left lane, a Car shot out of a Credit Union Parking Lot, with the lane change leaving Him blind to the car until it crossed His "newly acquired" lane. No real chance for much braking or deceleration. The impact broke the frame below the neck on one side. Could have been severe...broken fingers were a very small price to pay....

He has another Gold Wing that is Air Bag equipped......ThumbUp

Seat belt for a motorcycle... It's a HOAX!

Think about it for a second... Why would you tie your self to the Anchor of your ship when it goes down. I want to be as far away from my bike as possible when it slides south.:Computer:

Seat belt for a motorcycle... It's a HOAX!

Think about it for a second... Why would you tie your self to the Anchor of your ship when it goes down. I want to be as far away from my bike as possible when it slides south.:Computer:

Its a real Honda patent application. Actually the seat is designed to detach from the bike when it goes horizontal.

I dunno, Zook - can't see me scootin' down the highway on my rumpus at 80mph, slidin' under an 18-wheeler, just in time to get runned over by another one . . . might take a little more convincin' . . .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png