Front end questions about V-8 trike

Abe

Reaction score
Any experienced feedback here would be appreciated. The front of my hand fabricated trike is 1,000 lbs or so (it is heavy steel, about the same over all weight as my F-150). It has a Honda 750V front end with an 18" tire. I bought a tire rated at 1,400lbs but when it arrived it is only 659lb rated.

The front tire gets hot after 50 or 60 miles. I'm designing a different front end to run a 6 or 8 ply small truck tire. I'm keeping the tree bolt from the 750 Honda that is longer than a Harley (I thought about a Harley front end with the Honda tree bolt & haven't ruled that out yet).

I like the leading design with overload shocks as that will reduce reciprocating weight. This HP400 with turbo 400 and T-Bird independent rear rides smooth and makes me feel like Wile E Coyote strapped to a rocket when the peddle goes down.

Attachments

• Tricycle At Sale Door Open.jpg
    Tricycle At Sale Door Open.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Don't know the answer to your question....BUT Holy shi# that's one very cool azz machine you have there.. WOW!

Ronnie

3/6/22

Any experienced feedback here would be appreciated. The front of my hand fabricated trike is 1,000 lbs or so (it is heavy steel, about the same over all weight as my F-150). It has a Honda 750V front end with an 18" tire. I bought a tire rated at 1,400lbs but when it arrived it is only 659lb rated.

The front tire gets hot after 50 or 60 miles. I'm designing a different front end to run a 6 or 8ply small truck tire. I'm keeping the tree bolt from the 750 Honda that is longer than a Harley (I thought about a Harley front end with the Honda tree bolt & haven't ruled that out yet).

I like the leading design with overload shocks as that will reduce reciprocating weight. This HP400 with turbo 400 and T-Bird independent rear rides smooth and makes me feel like Wile E Coyote strapped to a rocket when the peddle goes down.

think you could work for brinks armored car service

i am betting it steers pretty hard

i would not doing anything other than building a leading link

really not a lot of work!

it is easy to change springs or change the shock mounting on the swing arm which will change the effective spring rate

also you can reduce the trail which will make steering WAY easier. and you can change trail with a couple different swing arm pivot mounts.

dont try to do a "modified springer" front end you need the brace , tubing NOT bar, across the back of the wheel which ties the 2 sides together

the other thing i would suggest i would get away from 2 tie rods, use just one, (hot rods run just one all the time) may need to beef up the brackets, the reason i say this is they are fighting each other... i layed it out in autocad a long time ago to check.. if i recall non parallel bars is worse

hope that makes sense

Attachments

• P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 85
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 82
think you could work for brinks armored car service

i am betting it steers pretty hard

i would not doing anything other than building a leading link

really not a lot of work!

it is easy to change springs or change the shock mounting on the swing arm which will change the effective spring rate

also you can reduce the trail which will make steering WAY easier. and you can change trail with a couple different swing arm pivot mounts.

dont try to do a "modified springer" front end you need the brace , tubing NOT bar, across the back of the wheel which ties the 2 sides together

the other thing i would suggest i would get away from 2 tie rods, use just one, (hot rods run just one all the time) may need to beef up the brackets, the reason i say this is they are fighting each other... i layed it out in autocad a long time ago to check.. if i recall non parallel bars is worse

hope that makes sense

I appreciate your feedback and advice. The photos you shared are some I'm already considering, and I think you sold me on the idea. I still need to look through my metal pile to see if I have what's needed. I'm sure I have most of it. It has a steering box with pitman arm and steers very easy with one hand. I'm hoping to ditch that and put bars on it, that would give me front brakes. I'm 65 and don't want to fight it on long trips. Again thank you for the useful advice.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20190925_073912.jpg
    IMG_20190925_073912.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 83

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.Hammers
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png