Turning OFF Daytime Running Headlight

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
Not interested in stirring up a hornets nest, but I would really prefer my front headlight to NOT be on all of the time. Does anybody know of way to disable it until I want to put it on?

Not interested in stirring up a hornets nest, but I would really prefer my front headlight to NOT be on all of the time. Does anybody know of way to disable it until I want to put it on?

I can tell by your keystroke you already know the answer but here it goes anyway😉..

Have you ever been riding in light rain are you stopped at an intersection section and there’s a whole row of cars coming down and you have to wait for an opening and see an opening and you start to go and then you realize it’s one car in the pack that doesn’t have his lights on I’ve had that happen to me a few times I know you mentioned Hornets nest !.But everybody’s trying to put more lights on and you want you take lights off…🤔

I dunno about the M8 bikes , I do know how to disable it on Evo models, but if I tell you and you get a ticket or crash I would feel terrible:cool:

Down and dirty:at the headlamp harness there are 3 wires black, yellow( low)and white( high). You could use a posi tap on the yellow,run the wire back out the bucket to a switch mounted either side of the handlebar cover- plastic bungs are aleasy there. But you already know most states require lights on for motorcycles right?

Not legal in my "neck of the woods". Don't think I want to do that anyways. It seems to hard for a lot of cagers to see a motorcycle even WITH a headlight on.

Down and dirty:at the headlamp harness there are 3 wires black, yellow( low)and white( high). You could use a posi tap on the yellow,run the wire back out the bucket to a switch mounted either side of the handlebar cover- plastic bungs are aleasy there. But you already know most states require lights on for motorcycles right?

SOME state require lights on, not MOST. My home state of NJ has never had a lights on law. If the weathers bad or it's getting dark I'm old enough to know to turn the headlight on. In the middle of the day with blazing afternoon sunlight I don't feel comfortable with it on. Never have and still don't. Thanks for the tip.

Not legal in my "neck of the woods". Don't think I want to do that anyways. It seems to hard for a lot of cagers to see a motorcycle even WITH a headlight on.

My point exactly. I ride like I'm invisible and if somebody does see me they're actively trying to kill me. The light is irrelevant. Between my NJ and TN where I usually run only VA has day time lights laws.

Headlight’s are required to be illuminated on motorcycles At all times …. Automobiles and trucks only at night unless it’s raining (wipers on lights on)…

NJ DOT

• Headlights must be in use from 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.
  • Headlights are required when you cannot see more than 500 feet in front of you.
  • Headlights must also be in use whenever windshield wipers are in use.
  • Headlights are also necessary when driving through fog, smoke, mist, or other weather conditions that reduce visibility.

Not required for always on.

NJ DOT

• Headlights must be in use from 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.
  • Headlights are required when you cannot see more than 500 feet in front of you.
  • Headlights must also be in use whenever windshield wipers are in use.
  • Headlights are also necessary when driving through fog, smoke, mist, or other weather conditions that reduce visibility.

Not required for always on.

Go to the DOT motorcycle regulations….

In the middle of the day with blazing afternoon sunlight I don't feel comfortable with it on. Never have and still don't.

I have to ask........why? Not trying to rile things up but just curious why you don't feel comfortable with it on. I run in the daytime with my headlight on bright. I certainly see a bike coming at me better if the headlight is on.

Sunman

I did. I'm not going to pursue this anymore here. I don't want to rile things up. Thanks anyway.

I don't live in NJ, have only been there once "way back in the day", but this thread got me curious. I searched the NJ laws with LexixNexis and couldn't find any law or regulation requiring daytime headlight use for motorcycles. I then went to the NJ MVC website and downloaded their Motorcycles Driver's Manual and couldn't find any mention of the daytime headlight requirement there either. So I've got to agree with John, it's not required.

That being said, I FIRMLY BELIEVE IN THE SAFETY OF DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS. (I even run my car with the headlights on all the time.)

Are any of our members a NJ LEO or Lawyer who can site the NJ code for this "assumed" requirement?

Not trying to rile anything up, just inspired by Rhino2's Rainy Day Thoughts (No Moonpies Please!!!). Weather here is ugly for us right now.

I don't live in NJ, have only been there once "way back in the day", but this thread got me curious. I searched the NJ laws with LexixNexis and couldn't find any law or regulation requiring daytime headlight use for motorcycles. I then went to the NJ MVC website and downloaded their Motorcycles Driver's Manual and couldn't find any mention of the daytime headlight requirement there either. So I've got to agree with John, it's not required.

That being said, I FIRMLY BELIEVE IN THE SAFETY OF DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS. (I even run my car with the headlights on all the time.)

Are any of our members a NJ LEO or Lawyer who can site the NJ code for this "assumed" requirement?

Not trying to rile anything up, just inspired by Rhino2's Rainy Day Thoughts (No Moonpies Please!!!). Weather here is ugly for us right now.

We’re dealing with semantics here look up headlight not daylight running lights on a motorcycle…

Go to the DOT motorcycle regulations….

Some sources represent NJ requires motorcycles to maintain a lit headlight while in operation- though, as yet, I have been unable to dig out the statute code number (instead of being explicit, NJ code may reference adherence to Federal standards); the states of Road Island, Maryland, and Hawaii have no such restriction. Included here are a link and image for possible edification and amusement-

https://www.motorcyclelegalfoundation.com/state-by-state-guide-to-motorcycle-laws/#daytimeheadlights

65D518FB-780C-4D12-A2E2-0C3B31EC52F0.jpg

There have been multiple studies demonstrating the requirement correlates directly to fewer incidents.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png