new toy

IMG_0105.jpgIMG_0113.jpgIMG_0104.jpgIMG_0119.jpgIMG_0121.jpgIMG_0128.jpg

hi all !! picked this up in LA Crosse Wi. yesterday traded for a VW buggy (had 2) built in 1997 in Colorado thats all i know so far. 1600 duel port AS41 block, webber 2bbl, alt setup more info and pics to come . cut out all the old garbage wiring (mess) now its time for spark and fuel see if it runs. any info on body , frame and springer would be great !! every thing there except shifter so i'll need one of those , great write up buy SNUSNU thanks, i'm and old wrencher (60) but no expert lol

View attachment 106973View attachment 106974View attachment 106975View attachment 106976View attachment 106977View attachment 106978

hi all !! picked this up in LA Crosse Wi. yesterday traded for a VW buggy (had 2) built in 1997 in Colorado thats all i know so far. 1600 duel port AS41 block, webber 2bbl, alt setup more info and pics to come . cut out all the old garbage wiring (mess) now its time for spark and fuel see if it runs. any info on body , frame and springer would be great !! every thing there except shifter so i'll need one of those , great write up buy SNUSNU thanks, i'm and old wrencher (60) but no expert lol

Welcome .......To Trike-Talk....:wave4:

well it runs!! powered up the coil and jumped the starter got spark so i hit it with some starting fluid and it fired woopwoop,

gravity fed gas to the carb and it fired up and idled after a little messing around , life is good it runs!! next thing is to get the brakes working , shifter setup , temp seat and see if it drives. trans shifts into gear and clutch arm moves so i'm hoping i'll get lucky if it all works i'll start the rewire work , and put the body on. done! got to love VW's easy peazy ... Mark . any shifter ideas?? nothing's there from the trans forward,

So yesterday I rigged a gas tank, battery box and a temporary seat Got the brakes kind of working making sure the clutch worked in a temporary starter button toggle switch idiot light set up so I could check the alternator and start and stop it while driving It around the block to see what happened, well after messing with the shifter in the garage it was stuck in gear after some research on the Internet I pulled the side fill plug out which was finger tight and full of nice new oil and found out it was stuck in first had use a screwdriver to pop it in neutral and every time I put it in first it would do that I had to pop it out The shift shaft would not pull it in to second but I could get it part of the way with the screwdriver , third and fourth worked and reversed worked So I figured well good enough I could back door to the garage but it kept popping out, first gear slider wasn’t in the proper spot I’m guessing but third and fourth work so I took it for a spin I’ll be it was going a little Faster than I would have liked lol but that’s all right made one loop around the block in 4th and one in 3rd so back in the garage and back on the Internet I found a great video series from easy GZGZ on YouTube onVW IRS transmissions rebuilding so I watch them till 2 o’clock this morning lol so got up this morning pulled my nose cone and I have a problem with my first second shift fork (it pushes it into first gear but will not pull the slider back towards second or neutral I have to do that with a screwdriver so I’m guessing broken shift fork or something on that order) so the motor is out , trans I have to get out and on the bench and then wondering if I can replace the shift fork without pulling the whole gear stack apart I know I have to take it out of the case which should be interesting !!! from what I can tell looking through the fill hole the teeth on the little gears look really nice so that’s a good sign or do I pull the tranny put those nose back on and take it somewhere and have somebody do it ?? I could ship it or possibly deliver it to someone that knows what they’re doing , what’s my best bet I guess is my question i’ve got a full rollaway but I don’t have that one big socket that’s needed to remove the pinion nut , i’ve always been a fix-it myself guy just never rebuilt too many trainees my theory is if somebody else can do it why can’t I lol

By the way my tranny is an AH 2547699 From what I have read it was made from 8/68-8/72

1500/1600 so are parts going to be a problem As you can see above my block is an AS41 1600 dual point from Mexico with webber 2 barrel carb The tunnel is cut off so I have no original Vin number to even know what this rear suspension motor tranny set up is from , Thanks for all you who welcome me to the site and thanks for any info ,help or guidance ! By the way I’m an owner operator truck driver and all my toys are old so I do most of my work myself within reason…keeps me out of the bar lol Mark

so trans is out and torn down , broken 1-2 shift fork is what i need everything else looks good. some ones been in there and here's what found... 8 tooth pinion 33 tooth ring three bolt trany mount in front ('73) and rear you can see the trany numbers AH2547699 ('68-'72) from what i read but doesn't seem to make sense?? so what do i have and what shift fork do i need ?? hope someone can help , Thanks mark

Attachments

• 66976474983__8AC65E6E-838D-4414-9F91-AFE060921A2F.jpg
    66976474983__8AC65E6E-838D-4414-9F91-AFE060921A2F.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 66976477230__1922808E-CAEA-478B-B374-BE42E9D28161.jpg
    66976477230__1922808E-CAEA-478B-B374-BE42E9D28161.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0200.PNG
    IMG_0200.PNG
    303.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    963.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    960.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    934 KB · Views: 77
If you do not disassemble the stacks or change any parts in the stacks ......then the shimming won't change.

Put a fork in it.

Rancho trans axle.

And

Weddle

Parts might be currently in limited supply.....but normally you can get most parts.

That is an early irs double side cover.

Someone got rambunctious with the shifting (I broke a few in my youth).

Adjusting the fork placement on the shift rod can be tricky. There is a special holding fixture.....but I use an old trans case with the side hacked out of it.

If you do not disassemble the stacks or change any parts in the stacks ......then the shimming won't change.

Put a fork in it.

Rancho trans axle.

And

Weddle

Parts might be currently in limited supply.....but normally you can get most parts.

That is an early irs double side cover.

Someone got rambunctious with the shifting (I broke a few in my youth).

Adjusting the fork placement on the shift rod can be tricky. There is a special holding fixture.....but I use an old trans case with the side hacked out of it.

thanks for the reply i was hoping you would chime in , from what i've read you are one of the gurus here!! fork is on the way (weddle)

$50.00w/shipping good people there!!, I marked and moved the shaft and snuck it out, only problem is the new fork is to thick 5mm (steel) but i'm hopping to have it milled down (.002 +-) i think will work to match the brass one i took out but we will mic stuff. i'm thinking on drilling and plugging the case where the clamp bolt is when in neutral in case i have to adjust ( seen it on youtube) any thoughts?? anyway thanks for posting watched/ read most of your posts and still learing!! you build cool stuff and think out of the box and explain it well! ( the only thing i pour the coal to once in a while is my 91 TA GTA but it's built for it and makes me smile when the kids want to play cause i'm an old guy lol) Thanks again!!! Mark

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png