Anyone a member of GWRRA????

TrikerMimi

TOI - Illinois
Jun 2, 2010
Bartlett, IL
We were thinking of joining GWRRA and were looking for some more info from members. Is it a good move? Sounds like a great organization and just want more info. Thanks! :D

We were members for several years. I would suggest U visit ur local chapter U want to join and see how U get along with the group. We were in one chapter in Mississippi that was Great!!!!! Moved to Alabama and no matter what we did we did not fit in with the chapter.. they were very clandish.

So we got out of GWRRA. I also did not like the changes in the get togethers where each member had to bring 5 items to be given away or raffeled off. Seems to me every time I turned around they were asking for the member to do something so GWRRA would not have to do it..

U can always try it and if U don't like it all U have lost is about $50 or $60 for a couple..

Good luck...

GWRRA is an organization that promotes "Friends for Fun, Safety & Knowledge". If you join GWRRA, you don't have to "belong" to a local chapter.There are no chapter dues and no elected officers. You don't even have to own a Goldwing to be a member of GWRRA.

Actually, you are welcome at any chapter in GWRRA. If the first chapter you go to doesn't fill the bill in what you are looking for, try another chapter. You are not locked into a chapter just because it is the closest one to your home. Some chapters ride more than others. Different strokes for different folks. You can belong to GWRRA and not participate in a chapter. It's your choice.

Different groups work for different people...and chapters vary widely. You do NOT have to be active in a chapter to belong to the national GWRRA.

That being said, I am "life" AMA: 643840. I am "life" HOG US 0513536. I am only "annual" in GWRRA since 2003: 177376. I am also a member of a real live AMA sanctioned M/C, a group with over a hundred years of tradition. Clearly, I am a "joiner". That's my bias and perspective. I was planning on discontinuing the GWRRA membership and only belong to TRI. Since TRI is no more, I'll continue with GWRRA to participate in the trike related stuff.

The monthly magazine is good. The organized events are worth participating in, at least some times. The Gold Book can be a life saver or just a useful source of info. You may find more than a fair share of old farts and coots in the GWRRA; however, local groups vary widely. (For a trike rider that may not be a problem! We certainly have our share of those folks.) Try GWRRA Try it for a couple years. If it doesn't work for you stop renewing your dues. Do it.

Different groups work for different people...and chapters vary widely. You do NOT have to be active in a chapter to belong to the national GWRRA.

That being said, I am "life" AMA: 643840. I am "life" HOG US 0513536. I am only "annual" in GWRRA since 2003: 177376. I am also a member of a real live AMA sanctioned M/C, a group with over a hundred years of tradition. Clearly, I am a "joiner". That's my bias and perspective. I was planning on discontinuing the GWRRA membership and only belong to TRI. Since TRI is no more, I'll continue with GWRRA to participate in the trike related stuff.

The monthly magazine is good. The organized events are worth participating in, at least some times. The Gold Book can be a life saver or just a useful source of info. You may find more than a fair share of old farts and coots in the GWRRA; however, local groups vary widely. (For a trike rider that may not be a problem! We certainly have our share of those folks.) Try GWRRA Try it for a couple years. If it doesn't work for you stop renewing your dues. Do it.

Have to chuckle at the 'fair share of old farts and coots' - that describes us perfectly! About 90% of our 100+ active members in the Killeen chapter have trikes and ride very often in groups. We don't participate in many rides; they leave waaaaaay too early for us, but we enjoy the social part of it. Our chapter doesn't insist on any consistent participation, and they've never asked us to donate or bring any door prizes - our chapter staff does all that. We've been with them almost two years and really appreciate the fellowship.

The Texas District Convention is going to be here in Killeen for the second year, and we will be able to see GWs from all over the state - an amazing sight!! Try it for a while; you don't even have to join to attend meetings - see if you like the group and the way the meetings are conducted. You'll know - trust me.

:Agree:

I agree that GWRRA chapters do vary a lot from one to the next. From my experience, some are friendly and will make anyone feel welcome. Others are pretty clicky and act almost as if the old long time members don't really want newbies messing up their thing. Some chapters ride a lot and others dont do too much. Like the above posters said, visit your local group a few times before you join and see if its a fit for you.

Or you could always start a local T.O.I Chapter! ;)

Hi Mimi and Mick,

I'm a recent / new GWRRA Member in TN.
My advice is go visit a GWRRA Chapter near you and then you can see what it's about.
Each Chapter is different, visit several see how you fit in or don't.
Try different chapters until you find one you are happiest being associated with. You join the National organization not chapters and you are free to go to any chapter meeting.

You can find links to the Illinois District ( each state is called a district)
here's the region link GWRRA Region E

There are alot of fun activities and events to be involved in. Great Educational programs.

Steve

:Agree:

GWRRA chapters do vary a lot from one to the next. Some are friendly and will make anyone feel welcome. Others are pretty clicky and act almost as if the old long time members don't really want newbies messing up their thing. Some chapters ride a lot and others, like our local chapter dont do too much. Like the above posters said, visit your local group a few times before you join and see if its a fit for you.

Or you could always start a local T.O.I Chapter! ;)

WE WOULD LOVE THAT!!!!! We are already TOI members!:wtg:

I have been a GWRRA member for about a year.I ahven't attended a chapter meeting yet ,but I do like their GOLD BOOK and the monthly WING WORLD MAGAZINE!The magazine is what I really joined for.RIDE SAFE

Been a member since 1997.. Went to about 4 meetings . then changed groups went to 5 meetings . found they never talked Motorcycles.Dogs ,computers, grand kids etc.Back then the trikes were new stuff. I brought my trike to the meeting ,after the meeting no one of the 20 members in attendance even came over to look at it. Never went back.Still a member great magazine Wing World.

Yes, Becky and I are both members. GWRRA will be what you as a member allow it to be. We first joined for the magazine, then found a local club 15 miles away from us. We went to 2 meetings, this club did not ride, all they did was meet to eat, sing songs and talk about riding, no actual riding. Not for us. This last fall we found a club "Mo. Chapter I" 50 miles north of us that likes to ride then ride some more, and if your not watching they keep going, our kind of club. Finding the right local club for your interest is whats makes GWRRA a keeper, just my opinion. So I go back to my first sentence--- what you as a member allow it to be. Remember there is no law against having fun, just find the club you have fun with. Charley

Hi we have been members of GWRRA for 11 years --they have changed and it seems they took the F out of fun --check the diffrent chapters out and find one you like --the road service is worth the price to join -- i have a trike and the alt. went out they sent a flat bed tow truck out and i payed nothing --the tow was 160.00 --the new officers in GWRRA need to get back to the basics before they loose more members than they have --you can have a great time with the right chapter --im glad we joined ---

Hi we are members fo IL.Z2 ==we meet the second sunday of the month at old country buffet on north ave in north lake --we meet around 8:00 or so to have breakfast and the meeting starts at 8:30 runs about 45 mins. we would love for you to come to one of the meetings and go for a ride with us after --if you have any questions send a e-mail we will try to answer all the questions you might have --towing and the wing world mag. is worth the cost of joining --they towed my trike with a flat bed and it cost us nothin --they payed 160.00 --thats worth 3 years of membership !!!thanks

We joined GWRRA in 1990 and have become Life Time Members as of this year (you have to belong for 20 years and then on the 21st year, you become Life Time members. This reduces your annual cost.)
Member # 66xxx.

We belong to Chapter J in Wisconsin and we have held many officer positions and were named "Chapter Couple Of The Year" in 1995.
As years flew by, many of our friends left and we decided to stop going to Wing Dings and other RA functions.
We then joined other clubs and went to their rallies and ride.
We now like to travel by ourselves or with a few friends.
I continued to stay a member mainly because of the Wing World magazine and their web site.

If you are interested in joining, just go to a local chapter meeting and check it out.

You can find one near you by going on their web site.

Smartest thing I did after buying the trike. Checked out a couple of the local so Cal chapters & have hooked up with the friendliest bunch who also happened to be closer than the others. Makes it convenient to meet at the start of rides & for monthly Chapet meetings / breakfasts. Just saying!

Hey trikerMimi,
I joined a chapter here in our area about a year ago. it is Illinois Chapter V. We meet the first Tueday of every month at Portillo's on Randall Rd. in the St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia area. Let me know if you want to go next month and we can ride over together. I'm in West Chicago. My trike is an '86 Honda Aspencade.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png