Old Rat Bike Trike...new owner!!

Schteveo

Apr 23, 2022
Clayton, NC USA
OK, I'm starting from (damned near) scratch...Schteveo here, 67, retired. Ridden bikes off and on since we were old enough to do so. But the trike appeals to us now as we're ooolllddd!

Bought this trike from an old friend who needed the $$$ more than the bike. It was originally built by another friend of ours who was BIG into vw dragsters and sand rails. He was one of my 1st real bosses and that's where I started as a puppy mechanic. When I started I barely knew anything over how a lawn mower worked, when I left there I was building engines for the sand rails.

The trike has a 2180cc engine that I am told is HOT. It has a wheelie bar on the tail because it was 'prone' to pulling the front wheel 4' or 5' into the air. On a modified VW floor pan, with a heavily beefed up springer front end.

That's the set up...here's the rub.

This puppy has been sitting for about 7 or 8 years. It needs everything that isn't hard METAL replaced. I'm a pretty good mechanic, but this is the first major rebuild of a kind that I'm going to do.

I'm looking to fast track this so Mrs Schteveo and I can ride this thing before it gets too cool next Winter. I'm simply looking for a Forum where I can get answers and get pointed to decent parts at decent prices. I've turned enough wrenches and busted enough knuckles over the last 50 years to know what I DON'T know.

Just trying to start the process and trying to get involved in something both new and familiar. That's the start, ya'll be well.

Schteveo is OUT!

OK, I'm starting from (damned near) scratch...Schteveo here, 67, retired. Ridden bikes off and on since we were old enough to do so. But the trike appeals to us now as we're ooolllddd!

Bought this trike from an old friend who needed the $$$ more than the bike. It was originally built by another friend of ours who was BIG into vw dragsters and sand rails. He was one of my 1st real bosses and that's where I started as a puppy mechanic. When I started I barely knew anything over how a lawn mower worked, when I left there I was building engines for the sand rails.

The trike has a 2180cc engine that I am told is HOT. It has a wheelie bar on the tail because it was 'prone' to pulling the front wheel 4' or 5' into the air. On a modified VW floor pan, with a heavily beefed up springer front end.

That's the set up...here's the rub.

This puppy has been sitting for about 7 or 8 years. It needs everything that isn't hard METAL replaced. I'm a pretty good mechanic, but this is the first major rebuild of a kind that I'm going to do.

I'm looking to fast track this so Mrs Schteveo and I can ride this thing before it gets too cool next Winter. I'm simply looking for a Forum where I can get answers and get pointed to decent parts at decent prices. I've turned enough wrenches and busted enough knuckles over the last 50 years to know what I DON'T know.

Just trying to start the process and trying to get involved in something both new and familiar. That's the start, ya'll be well.

Schteveo is OUT!

Steve ............Welcome To Trike-Talk...........:wave4::wave4:..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png