What Fuel Question

Sully

Trike Talk Executive Chef
Reaction score
With the high price of Hi-Test Gas 93* and less people using it, makes you wonder how old it is. I've been using 93 in my Trike, so my question is, will using 87* do any harm to your motor ? Will it run just fine with the lower octane ?? What are you using????.:Shrug:

I always use 93 octane Like I said in previous posts using 93 makes me feel good and in turn that makes my Trike feel good…

Let's be realistic most of us are driving around in $30k /$40k trikes that 90% of the population thinks we’re crazy spending that kind of money on a toy😱 And then some are worried about a few cents more for gasoline to run those expensive toys make me wonder🤔… that’s like me having my chauffeur rotate the tires on my Bentley Instead of bringing it to the dealer cause I want to save a few bucks ..

With the high price of Hi-Test Gas 93* and less people using it, makes you wonder how old it is. I've been using 93 in my Trike, so my question is, will using 87* do any harm to your motor ? Will it run just fine with the lower octane ?? What are you using????.:Shrug:

If you are riding a Harley, I would stick with the 93. Occasionally, you cand go down a bit - but you should go back

My Spyder manual calls for 91+. I’ve seen this question posed and answered a lot on a Spyder forum. Guys over there claim either is fine..that they notice no negative effects whatsoever in using the lower octane.

People say 93 isn’t being purchased often enough to keep good fresh fuel for sale… but as long as a MAJOR, busy (around here Exxon, Shell, Valero and Stripes stores) retailer has it for sale I will not hesitate to purchase the higher octane. If they run out I will not hesitate to use the ‘87.

What I will NOT do is use ANY gas from a remote individual station. I make SURE I have plenty gas on board so I can pass them by… have read of too many negative situations encountered with bad gas at this type gasoline provider.

I always use 93 octane Like I said in previous posts using 93 makes me feel good and in turn that makes my Trike feel good…

Let's be realistic most of us are driving around in $30k /$40k trikes that 90% of the population thinks we’re crazy spending that kind of money on a toy😱 And then some are worried about a few cents more for gasoline to run those expensive toys make me wonder🤔… that’s like me having my chauffeur rotate the tires on my Bentley Instead of bringing it to the dealer cause I want to save a few bucks ..

It's not the cost of gas in question, the question was with less people buying 93* how old is the gas at the gas station ?? is it safe to use ?? :Shrug:

It's not the cost of gas in question, the question was with less people buying 93* how old is the gas at the gas station ?? is it safe to use ?? :Shrug:

It’s not as old as you think you’ll be shocked at how many cars need 91/93 to run even that stupid little smart car has to have 93…And if A lower octane is used the knock sensor will De-tune the engine so you don’t get holes in your pistons.. most people will never feel the lost performance…

What does the book say to use? I always use premium (ethyl in my day) in my bikes. If an engine is designed to run on 87, using anything higher is a waste of money, but if it requires 93, don't use 87. I have never looked at what the book says.....I use premium and don't even think about how long it's been sitting. Good point.

What does the book say to use? I always use premium (ethyl in my day) in my bikes. If an engine is designed to run on 87, using anything higher is a waste of money, but if it requires 93, don't use 87. I have never looked at what the book says.....I use premium and don't even think about how long it's been sitting. Good point.

Bryan.......Welcome to Trike-Talk.....:wave4::wave4:...

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png