MT Rear WOBBLE on Right Hand Turns

DVS

Apr 26, 2022
Pinon, NM, USA
I have a 2002 1800. MT Spyder with foot boards done in 2008. Raked front-end. Stock to the most part from purchase in 2008.

Been doing service after the trike sat for 5 years.

Noticed a wobble at different speeds. Adjusted out all but the right curve wobble at about 55 mph. If I turn a little left, it stops. Doesn't happen as much when climbing hill or accelerating.

Can anybody point me in the right direction. This test runs between jacking up and making slight adjustments is getting old. Looked all over the internet for explanation of each adjustment results to separator bar and diagonal adjusting bar.

Anybody out there solved an issue like this?

Thanks in advance, Debbie :confused:

Hi Debbie,

It could be tire cupping. Most of us experience different "feelings" when turning left and right.

I'd look at your front tire for scalloped tread. Good luck...... And, welcome. Jim

• Thanks
Reactions: DVS
Hi Debbie,

It could be tire cupping. Most of us experience different "feelings" when turning left and right.

I'd look at your front tire for scalloped tread. Good luck...... And, welcome. Jim

The front tire was new 5 years ago, no mileage, parked on concrete.

There is no front steering wobble.

It is like watching the ass end of your DOG when you return home.

I'll check all the tires too. Thanks. Debbie

The front tire was new 5 years ago, no mileage, parked on concrete.

There is no front steering wobble.

It is like watching the ass end of your DOG when you return home.

I'll check all the tires too. Thanks. Debbie

steering head bearings will indeed do what you are complaining about. i chased a rear end wobble on a valk motortrike for over a year. turned out it was the head bearings being indexed. also check the tightness of the front heim joints where they connect where the swing arm used to be. i had one come lose where it screwed into the ladder bar. if you would like to talk to someone on the phone about this you can contact me at 717-414-6142 my name is Rick and i worked on alot on motortrikes for 20 years. btw. i'm on the east coast, so anytime after 5:30 weekdays or after 5 weekends.

Somewhere I think I have a copy of the install manual that details the adjustments .... but in 40K miles, very easily could be, even likely, worn Heim joint wear at play. If loose, adjustment won't help, it will require replacement of the worn Heim joints. If mine, I'd park it up on ramps, secuely blocked, transmission in 1st too, and crawl under it with a good light and simply ask my Wife to vigorously shake it different bways as I watched the joints, even carefully placing my finger against suspect joints feeling for wear to show in movement.

Somewhere I think I have a copy of the install manual that details the adjustments .... but in 40K miles, very easily could be, even likely, worn Heim joint wear at play. If loose, adjustment won't help, it will require replacement of the worn Heim joints. If mine, I'd park it up on ramps, secuely blocked, transmission in 1st too, and crawl under it with a good light and simply ask my Wife to vigorously shake it different bways as I watched the joints, even carefully placing my finger against suspect joints feeling for wear to show in movement.

Thanks for the idea. Will add it to the list of things to get checked out. Hopefully, something will show it's problem!

Debbie

steering head bearings will indeed do what you are complaining about. i chased a rear end wobble on a valk motortrike for over a year. turned out it was the head bearings being indexed. also check the tightness of the front heim joints where they connect where the swing arm used to be. i had one come lose where it screwed into the ladder bar. if you would like to talk to someone on the phone about this you can contact me at 717-414-6142 my name is Rick and i worked on alot on motortrikes for 20 years. btw. i'm on the east coast, so anytime after 5:30 weekdays or after 5 weekends.

Thanks for the reply,

I have finally been able to check out the front heim joints. The right side is tight.

Years back, had tightened the outer ?Pivot Pin? on left because it was loose. The bolt and 1" rust color outer nut unit had worn the inside of the cover plate. I never tightened the nut as it felt okay.

I checked it again, after reading the MT Installation Manual. The carriage bolt was loose from underneath. With assistance, tightened the inside nut to pull the heim joint tight. Now the Outer Pivot Pin will not tighten ... can spin with my fingers. The inside nut spins at the same rate. The bolt threads are sticking out, does it need more washers underneath to take up the slack OR cut it off? Did I strip something? I am afraid it could pull thru or break during a turn. Is it advisable to remove the carriage bolt and inspect? Is this a MT part, the manual doesn't define details.

I thank you for the invite to call. Since I feel out of my knowledge zone, I may have my assistant call since he is more mechanically inclined to follow any conversation.

Thanks for any advise you may have to offer.

(Obviously, the upload turned when it attached.)

Debbie

Attachments

• Trike.jpg
    Trike.jpg
    989.9 KB · Views: 49
Update: Rebuilding

So far replaced: All 12 Heim Joints ... Both Pivot Pins w/new carriage bolts ... 2 new spring shocks. Trashed the 2 MT Air Bags and ordered the #800 longs from Airbagit (waiting arrival). May need 2 new tires next. 14 year old P225/60R15 might be too big for New Air Spring Bags.

Meanwhile, back home ... the new driveshaft (GREEN)! Waiting for MT to respond to my e-mail. :confused:

This is a 2002 Honda 1800 built in 2008 w/ MT Spyder Kit. It is the 30 yr anniv. edition. They say the new drive shaft is suppose to fit every 1800.

MT Reply: We didn't line up the correct ends of the shafts. Didn't look at the photo on the MT website. Being exhausted has a way of making your mind foggy.

Debbie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png