Anybody Carry A Battery Jumper Pack With Them?

Yes, you can connect directly to the starter bolt and a ground - works just fine.

Still think the leads I shared is a better hookup - but hey, your call

Now you got me "think'n (and that's a bad thing) Maybe I should order one myself (going on a long trip tomorrow) I do keep my battery maintainer on the battery 24/7 when it's in the garage, so I know it's always fully charged up....... BUT u never know.......

Thanks for the reminder :friends:

Ronnie

5/19/22

Now you got me "think'n (and that's a bad thing) Maybe I should order one myself (going on a long trip tomorrow) I do keep my battery maintainer on the battery 24/7 when it's in the garage, so I know it's always fully charged up....... BUT u never know.......Thanks for the reminder :friends:

Ronnie5/19/22

Most of the parts stores carry them now we picked one up for my father-in-law.

Decided to keep the GB40 unit Amazon sent and I'll just deal with the clamps if the time comes. Gotta say, the unit charged to full in less than 3 hours. Probably because of the wall adapter I got with it. The case holds everything at ready and fits nicely in the trunk. I think it's relatively cheap insurance to have handy.

Decided to keep the GB40 unit Amazon sent and I'll just deal with the clamps if the time comes. Gotta say, the unit charged to full in less than 3 hours. Probably because of the wall adapter I got with it. The case holds everything at ready and fits nicely in the trunk. I think it's relatively cheap insurance to have handy.

I ordered the GB 20 also, but got the 40, I guess it is an Amazon thing gpong on here;)

One of these days I am going to peel back the rubber boot @ the starter battery lug and use a thread pitch gauge on the threads( pretty sure it is metric thread)

Once I know for sure I will locate a brass high nut ( many of y'all might know these from chevy exhaust manifolds) and install it on the starter, that will give me a good to get to permanent jump location, ground clamp gan go on the bottom side of exhaust

Grainger_NUT6091024xxa11f1e.jpeg

I've carried 1 for several years.I can't remember if I ever used it away from home on my bike but i've bailed a few others out with it and used it at home when a battery charger was alot more trouble to use than it.

Had a thought now that hot weather is finally creeping in. There isn't any issues with leaving a battery in your trunk on a 2 week trip in 90 degree weather is there? Would hate to have it burst into flames on the road. Could be a real nuisance.

Had a thought now that hot weather is finally creeping in. There isn't any issues with leaving a battery in your trunk on a 2 week trip in 90 degree weather is there? Would hate to have it burst into flames on the road. Could be a real nuisance.

I doubt you will have any problems with it ( the jump pack)

I had a buddy that had a bad regulator on a Softail Heritage, I could have fixed it easily for him, he instead carried a battery in his saddlebag all summer:p

You have to have the attitude that anything can happen so it would be prudent to be cautious like if you’re carrying extra gas I wouldn’t keep it next to it 🙄..🙄..

In my nearly 60 years of riding I have never experienced a dead battery. I have however had to get a couple of others started. One was a Goldwing whose owner had let the cable end corrode thru and break off.Since this was back in the day of pull tabs I found one in the parking lot crimped the tab around the wire and ran the bolt thru the ring and it got him home. Now that battery packs are small enough to pack, I am glad you elected to buy one for yourself. Hopefully you will never need it,I have not needed mine since I got it.

I have used mine to jump other peoples vehicles off and my truck, it seams my 2018 truck does not like sitting for 2 and 3 weeks without being ran. I put a solar charger in the window to see if that helps. I do carry my NOCO in the bike when we go for a ride with a group.

A bad battery can kill a regulator rectifier. A bad regulator can kill your stator. Metal particles attached to the rotor magnets can eventually kill a stator. One test is a regulator bleed test. Separate the stator connector (it comes out the front bottom of the primary case)from the regulator connector.Key off. You can use a simple test light but I like a computer safe logic probe. Around 10 bucks at Harbor Freight I think. Connect to a good ground then touch the probe to the regulator connector terminals. If the probe lights green or bulb lights- voltage is flowing back through the regulator. Bad JuJu. Voltage should only flow towards the battery. There are 3 positive diodes and 3 negative diodes. Those also need to be tested.

I've carried a motorcycle sized jumper cable since 1988 when I bought my first Harley. Then about 5 or 6 years ago I had a bunch of "Chrome Cash" I needed to spend, and Harley just came out with their own battery starter/jumper unit. So, I bought it (20% off sale). I just took it out last week to check the charge. Guess what, it's still holding a 75% charge. Haven't use either one yet.

Back in the early 80's I was NCOIC installing and repairing GRIATS- ground infantry attack systems( pronounced gritts). These are the power units that make the targets pop up.The power source was a marine deep cycle battery for each unit. I was hungover,hot,tired,pissed and being eaten alive by black flies, and the unit training on that live fire range was due onsite by 1300 hrs. Right next to each power unit I installed a hoffman device.A tube like device that I inserted an electrically fired charge in, that simulated a grenade, LAW, M203 etc strike or launch and also smoke grenades.I noticed that the cables would be just the right size to make mini jumper cables for my Superglide. When I got back to the shop that night I pulled 12 feet of cable off the bulk reel, cut it in half and crimped heavy duty midi alligator clips on the ends. Still have it somewhere in the garage.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png