difference in trike conversions

dnk

Jun 9, 2022
pa
Just bought my 2nd. trike. 1st. was a triglide wiyh solid axle. Now have a goldwing with independent suspension. I was amazed at how much better the ride was on the goldwing.

I was wondering if there was a difference in ride between the different conversion models (like motor trike to california sidecar).

Yes.Straight axles and indepenent.Some have longer wheelbase than others and just the different suspension designs make the ride and handling characteristics different between brands and models.

A longer, wider wheelbase with IRS will almost always provide a smoother, more comfortable ride....... especially for the co-rider..... Jim

Just bought my 2nd. trike. 1st. was a triglide wiyh solid axle. Now have a goldwing with independent suspension. I was amazed at how much better the ride was on the goldwing.

I was wondering if there was a difference in ride between the different conversion models (like motor trike to california sidecar).

There is a definite difference in models. My first was a '99 Yamaha Venture with Motor Trike conversion (solid axle). Second was a factory '15 Tri-Glide (solid axle). Both of these handled similarly, and I had no complaints with either.

My latest is a '19 Goldwing with Roadsmith conversion (independent suspension). This one is very different for two reasons. The independent suspension handles the corners a bit better and absorbs the bumps without as much drama. The long overall wheelbase at 10'2" is a huge improvement in the ride quality compared to the two shorter (8'2") trikes I have had. I think the CSC conversion on the Goldwing is a little shorter than the Roadsmith conversion, but have not ridden one. The CSC has a great looking rear-end, especially the LED taillights, and there are a lot of people online that have nothing but positive experiences with CSC trikes.

Go with whatever you like best, but suggest that you get a quality company to do the conversion, as this will define your experience for years to come.

I’ve wondered the same when comparing CSC, Roadsmith, etc….

Roadsmith and CSC have very similar specifications. I think Timegger may be quoting overall length rather than wheel base. The CSC Cobra WB with raked tree is 80.7 inches. Specs for the Roadsmith indicate a 78 inch WB. But I'm not sure if that includes a raked tree. If not, a raked tree would make the WB about the same. Both these kits are considered to be among the widest and longest on the market. The main differences are the way the IRS is manufactured and the different way they include an aux. fuel tank. I like them both..... Jim

CSC doesn’t offer the auxiliary tank for the Harley-Davidson conversion but that’s not a deal breaker for me. I am leaning more towards CSC because they are 3 hours from me and I have a CSC dealer close by. Although not a Harley place he is a V twin used place as well.

CSC doesn’t offer the auxiliary tank for the Harley-Davidson conversion but that’s not a deal breaker for me. I am leaning more towards CSC because they are 3 hours from me and I have a CSC dealer close by. Although not a Harley place he is a V twin used place as well.

Plus I think CSC is just nicer looking.

I ride a Roadsmith (Goldwing)............ and never rode anything else, so I had no idea the difference between other makes and models..

BUT last week I did get a chance to test ride a Harley Tri Glide............. After my test, I jumped back on to my Goldwing........(I don't want to start, a which is better ride a Wing or Harley debate) BUT all's I can say is that I rode away with a big smile on my face................

Was it because I liked my Goldwing better (????) OR I enjoyed the Harley(????) But ALL I WILL SAY is that it was an interesting test ride....:GL1800:

I test rode a CSC DCT Goldwing and it was a beast and very smooth. I also rode a CSC Indian chiefs think. I want a CSC because of the IRS , I would prefer a Harley-Davidson because I like Harley-Davidson. The Goldwing has its following but I like the V Twin. Maybe later I might get a Goldwing, who knows. The local Honda CSC dealer told me if he got another trike in he would let me use it for longer ride so I could get a better idea.

I ride a Roadsmith (Goldwing)............ and never rode anything else, so I had no idea the difference between other makes and models..

BUT last week I did get a chance to test ride a Harley Tri Glide............. After my test, I jumped back on to my Goldwing........(I don't want to start, a which is better ride a Wing or Harley debate) BUT all's I can say is that I rode away with a big smile on my face................

I’m always interested in peoples take on the different ones they ride or their take on the different bikes. I am very open minded. The IRS is my main intention.

Was it because I liked my Goldwing better (????) OR I enjoyed the Harley(????) But ALL I WILL SAY is that it was an interesting test ride....:GL1800:

I’m always interested in peoples take on the different ones they ride or their take on the different bikes. I am very open minded. The IRS is my main intention

I just got my 2022 Goldwing DCT CSC trike in April and love it……..

I test drove a Goldwing DCT Roadsmith trike before making my decision on which way to go.

The ride between the two is very similar…..very well controlled, handles bumps well and overall makes for a great trike.

My decision to go with CSC came down to the more modern looks of the CSC, the much better aux fuel tank setup on the CSC and finally the 5-year unlimited mileage warranty on the CSC.

C3A1D6E6-48BD-44BC-9149-06EDB68DFC01.jpg

72aa193d-2e8b-40d3-9ab1-fa5cd7be1b42

I too opted for the CSC - my bike was a 2021 Harley Ultra. We just like the way it matched up for us.

My thinking is - as long as you get the independent suspension and a nice rake, you will enjoy your ride.

kAY6FK9.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png