Hi all, have question about potential trike

Hi! I have a line on a GL1500 with CSC Sport kit installed. Ran in the fall but owner left it sit all winter and now it wont start. He just wants out from under it and would probably take 7K.

Is this a good deal and how tough are problems starting to deal with?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I have a line on a GL1500 with CSC Sport kit installed. Ran in the fall but owner left it sit all winter and now it wont start. He just wants out from under it and would probably take 7K.

Thanks in advance!

Mark .. Welcome to Trike Talk…👍👍… how tough are the starting problems it could be something as simple as a hundred dollar battery’ To a $2000 piston..?.. did the seller give you any ideas as to why he thinks it won’t start…?

Hello & :welcome: to Trike Talk, glad to have U with Us. :clapping:

You'd want to drain the old gas and add fresh with fuel system treatment and charge the battery, the one thing about goldwings is they do not like to sit for a long period of time. If there are no maintenance records and a lot will need to be gone through, all the fluids, timing belts and hoses if they show signs of dry rot. carbs will need to be cleaned and synced. What years is this GL1500? If you're handy you can do much of the work yourself and a Honda factory service manual is very handy.

Welcome Mark.

I think your 7K is better spent elsewhere. If the engine turns over smartly but "no start", it probably has clogged carburetors from sitting. This is not an inexpensive fix. A lot of bike tear down just to get to them. If the starting fix is easy, I wonder why the seller doesn't just get it running? Too many potential problems on a non-running obsolete bike. Not a good gamble. Good luck..... Jim

Hi Mark, :welcome:to Trike Talk and your first post

IMO buying a no start would be a non starter for me ( no pun intended)

Too much bad JUJU can go south the more you get into it and end up being a money pit

Thanks in advance!

First ,welcome to TT from Ohio

You didn't say what year the bike is... I wouldn't buy a bike that is not running. Tell seller you would be more interested AFTER hearing it run.

Could end up like the guy bought an electric car used, for $11,000 only to very shortly needed a new battery that is $14,000. Best of luck

If its only been sitting Cence the fall, I would think its probably the battery is bad, there a solenoid below the battery box that goes bad its maybe $40.00 easy to change, and there a switch that goes bad on the reverse lever, Thats not too bad to change, Its a gold wing it will run forever. even if you have to do a timing belt ? Make the guy a stupid offer see if he accepts it. Those are a short wheelbase there a blast to ride. I work on 3 of these for friends, any part I ever need I get on EBAY in a few days .

Thanks for the kind welcome! OK, the bike is an SE, not sure of the year but is a two tone teal green color if that helps figure out the year. The bike is at camp and I don't have any way to contact the owner until I get there. I'll see the owner in a couple of days and will discuss the bike and get details then. I'm sort of leaning on passing on this bike but will still have a chat with the guy. Thanks again all.

Welcome Mark.

I think your 7K is better spent elsewhere. If the engine turns over smartly but "no start", it probably has clogged carburetors from sitting. This is not an inexpensive fix. A lot of bike tear down just to get to them. If the starting fix is easy, I wonder why the seller doesn't just get it running? Too many potential problems on a non-running obsolete bike. Not a good gamble. Good luck..... Jim

This one is a bit of a strange story. Owner bought the bike and had it shipped to him basically sight unseen on the advice of his friend who checked out the bike before the sale. A mutual friend of the owner and I has ridden the bike (last fall) and he says it ran like a champ. The owner doesn't ride, doesn't know how to ride, and doesn't know the first thing about riding. That isn't a bad thing though, we all started riding not really knowing how but learned. The owner just doesn't seem to have any interest and this garage kept beautiful bike is now out in the weather just sitting with a flat front tire and won't start. A shame.

That's sad to let something that nice fall into disrepair, it sounds like he bought it to flip it for a profit. My guess would be it is a 1994 by the color. If it were near me I'd offer $1000.00 and then have fun pissing off the tenants and have them snitching on me to the management. :clapping: Did you try to get it to at least turn over with a battery from a non-running car/truck?

Did you try to get it to at least turn over with a battery from a non-running car/truck?

That's the plan for later in the week when I see the owner. Finding a battery to do the jump start won't be an issue. It's a big camp ground. Everyone has at least one golf cart. Lol. a 12v deep cycle cart battery should do the job.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png