2017 Tri-Glide versus ~100 Lb deer

hardwickbv

1500+ Posts
Mar 5, 2017
Mitchell, Indiana, USA
On the way to work this morning at 0545 it finally happened.

I work on a Naval base in Indiana and to get to work it is 12-13 miles of forest from the gate to the building got within 2 miles of the building and a doe bolted across from the left side while I was running 45 MPH.

Usually, I see them with plenty of time, but the location did not let me see her until it was too late.

Hit her square in the mid-section and was able to bring the trike to a stop without further incident.

Fortunately, I escaped without a scratch but slightly shook up. Coffee was not needed for a while.

She did not fare so well.

I expect it will be months before I get the bike back from the shop with all the problems with getting parts.

IMG_4414.jpgIMG_4415.jpgIMG_4416.jpgIMG_4417.jpgIMG_4469.jpg

Had to take the fender off to get it home.

Now to wait on Insurance to do their thing.

Be Safe out there

Bob

I work on a Naval base in Indiana and to get to work it is 12-13 miles of forest from the gate to the building got within 2 miles of the building and a doe bolted across from the left side while I was running 45 MPH.

Usually, I see them with plenty of time, but the location did not let me see her until it was too late.

Hit her square in the mid-section and was able to bring the trike to a stop without further incident.

Fortunately, I escaped without a scratch but slightly shook up. Coffee was not needed for a while.

I expect it will be months before I get the bike back from the shop with all the problems with getting parts.

View attachment 108975View attachment 108976View attachment 108977View attachment 108978View attachment 108979

Be Safe out there

Bob

Glad to hear your ok.

View attachment 108975View attachment 108976View attachment 108977View attachment 108978View attachment 108979

Be Safe out there

Bob

Glad you’re OK Bob..I’ve had a few of those Woods Rats over the years sneak out and bite me…!.

Makes you wonder if deer whistles might be worthwhile.

Whistles only work to get them to look at you while they are standing so you can see thier eyes shine.

If they are being pushed or are just Hellbent to get across the road (which was the case this time) they are useless.

Even if she was standing next to the road the terrain had me at a disadvantage and I wouldn't have seen her.

I was lucky that I hit her reasonably square and it didn't send me into a spin. A little left or right and it could have easily happened.

I didn't think I had left the road but when I went back to look my right tire left the road for a good 60-80 yards and I missed a sign by a couple feet as I was returning to the road before I finally came to a stop.

Amazing what you miss in a split second and under pressure.

Thanks for all the replies

Bob

Wow! If it's gonna happen, that's how you want it to happen.

Glad you are ok! :clapping:

Nice job of not over-reacting, that is when bad stuff can happen.

Good you got to ride it home.

Kevin

P.S. Keep us updated with how the dealership handles the repair. Sometimes a bent engine guard will also bend the frame tabs, which could total it out, or could result in them wanting to replace the frame.

Got a call Friday and they had started looking at it for and estimate.

They wanted to know what aftermarket part I had put on the front end because they said it didn't look stock.

Told them the only thing on the front end is some Lighting and Pro Action internals shock parts.

Nothing should have changed the look that much except for the deer.

They thought I may have raked it. Told them not yet but if it is not totaled I probably will.

They are closed on Mondays so hopefully later this week we will know something.

Bob

Got the estimate from the dealer yesterday just over $10K total including $2500 labor.

No damage to the frame.

Now to waiting on insurance to cut a check.

Bob

I would expect it to go up a bit by the time they are finished. Unless they did a VERY thorough disassembly and inspection to write the estimate (which I seriously doubt they did), it is almost a given that once they get into the repair, they will find damage that could not be seen on the initial inspection.

YMMV

Lon

Triglide vs deer

Glad you made it through all that. I can just about guarantee that you will probably be looking at $15000.00 after it is all said and done. HD shops are notorious for quoting one price then afterwards the price for the repairs go up at 1/3 of the original price. Sad but true.

Glad you made it through all that. I can just about guarantee that you will probably be looking at $15000.00 after it is all said and done. HD shops are notorious for quoting one price then afterwards the price for the repairs go up at 1/3 of the original price. Sad but true.

That's not exclusive to Harley Dealers, it kind of goes with the territory with collision repair. I was (retired now) and autobody tech most of my adult life, transitioning into and estimator/ass't shop manager as my body started to give out, and there is absolutely no way to give an accurate quote for repair without disassembling the vehicle as far down as will need to be done to complete the repair BEFORE writing the estimate. That is the only way you can see every part that is damaged, and even then, no matter how good you are, you will likely miss something until you get deep into the repair and start to fit parts back together. I will also pretty much guarantee that his dealer (and probably most, if not all) did very little or no teardown before writing the estimate. The insurance companies know this, and in making total/fix decisions, they figure in an amount for supplemental damage to the original estimate)

Lon

Let the rebuild begin

Got the funds from the insurance company today minus deductible.

Went to the shop and the service manager brought the trike out into the sun so I could inspect it and go through the estimate line by line.

Deleted some items as they put them on the list if they had a scratch on them.

The parts guy was putting in the order when I left, we'll see how it goes we have a few painted parts to wait on and I know the 2+2 Wide handlebars I had on there are backordered.

Came home and ordered a Rake Kit from Papa Zook, FST Cartridges for the forks and an 838 AC from DK.

Now we wait.

Bob

Deleted some items as they put them on the list if they had a scratch on them.

Bob

I am absolutely NOT trying to be a dick, and no judging, just thought you should know that by deleting items on the estimate that the insurance company paid for, the insurance company will look at that as insurance fraud.

Chances are that they will never know, but if you have a good deal of supplemental damages found, they may come to the shop for a re-inspection, or may come out at the end of the repair for a post repair inspection. Depending on the Appraiser that comes out, it could be a problem.

Once again, NOT trying to be a dick, I don't care one way or another, just thought you might like a heads up.

Lon

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png