Where to Check Tread Depth

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
Where is the correct spot to check the front tire tread depth on the Freewheelers? At position 1, or 2 in the pic? I'm coming up with 4/32" in most places.

IMG_20220801_160026029.jpg

With a motorcycle tire in front of the Trike are we talking Harley Davidson Trikes now you will find that anywhere between 10,000 and 15,000 miles the center treads will look bald … While the side wall threads will look almost new.. because there is no leaning like on a two wheel motorcycle..(It will look like a over inflated tire) If you don’t mind heavier steering input run a few pounds less in the front tire and the tire will last much longer…

It looks like #2 is pointing to a wear bar. When you reach it you are down to 1/32”. I just replaced mine with 3/32”’ remaining, not because of wear but it was seven years old and had nearly 19k miles.

I'm about 100 miles shy of 12,000 miles and now showing an average of 3/32" tread depth. I'm still planning a 1500 mile trip in the next week or so (watching the weather patterns down the east coast closely) and thinking I might want to replace that front tire before I go. Hate to spend the money right now, but I'm sure I'm going to hit rain somewhere. Time to replace?

I'm about 100 miles shy of 12,000 miles and now showing an average of 3/32" tread depth. I'm still planning a 1500 mile trip in the next week or so (watching the weather patterns down the east coast closely) and thinking I might want to replace that front tire before I go. Hate to spend the money right now, but I'm sure I'm going to hit rain somewhere. Time to replace?

I would, ya just don't wanna take chances riding in rain, I dont and I ride a lot in the rain

Better be safe and get back home without any major problems IMO

Enjoy your trip, if you ever get down my way give me a holler( think this winter);)

I would have it replaced. Better to spend the money now than spend time next week looking for a place to have it replaced. I need to work on expanding my vocabulary. :p

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fredmarkley5050#gmail.com

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fredmarkley5050#gmail.com
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png