Rider backrest on a new Freewheeler

Maxwell

Sep 1, 2022
Crescent City
My new 2022 Freewheeler arrived yesterday. So naturally, I had accessories ordered before I had the bike. The first to come was a rider backrest from Grasshopper. I went out to install it this morning and found the two bolts that should have come on the bike needed for the installation...didn't. Now, is that just another Harley cutback, like the heel shifter and the extra fob? Luckily, I had two 1/4 x 20 bolts in the garage. Any other '22 owners encounter this?

My new 2022 Freewheeler arrived yesterday. So naturally, I had accessories ordered before I had the bike. The first to come was a rider backrest from Grasshopper. I went out to install it this morning and found the two bolts that should have come on the bike needed for the installation...didn't. Now, is that just another Harley cutback, like the heel shifter and the extra fob? Luckily, I had two 1/4 x 20 bolts in the garage. Any other '22 owners encounter this?

The only thing that's on the Harley is a cover plate that pops out exposing where the mounts go. If I'm understanding you correctly your rider backrest should have come with all the needed hardware.

The only thing that's on the Harley is a cover plate that pops out exposing where the mounts go. If I'm understanding you correctly your rider backrest should have come with all the needed hardware.

There was no plastic cover plate. Just the mount holes with the nuts attached on the bottom. The only hardware with the backrest were two washers, and the base. The instructions said to use the stock bolts. I called Grasshopper and the gentleman said that Harley probably just neglected to put the bolts in at the factory. He said he'd never come across that before.

There was no plastic cover plate. Just the mount holes with the nuts attached on the bottom. The only hardware with the backrest were two washers, and the base. The instructions said to use the stock bolts. I called Grasshopper and the gentleman said that Harley probably just neglected to put the bolts in at the factory. He said he'd never come across that before.

This is the diagram from HD. Just a cover plate.

Screenshot at 2022-09-09 20-50-01.png

This is the cheapo eBay backrest I got. Came with bolts, although mine is black.

Screenshot at 2022-09-09 20-54-59.png

Pardon my ignorance but who or what is grasshopper?

Harley-Davidson doesn't put nuts and bolts into every available location for add-ons.

The bolts that "should have come on the bike" are included in the rider backrest mounting kit.

8PxEI1DyCoLsAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Harley-Davidson doesn't put nuts and bolts into every available location for add-ons.

The bolts that "should have come on the bike" are included in the rider backrest mounting kit.

8PxEI1DyCoLsAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

The rider backrest mounting kit consisted of 2 washers and the mount. The instructions said to use the stock bolts. I called Grasshopper and was told that the bolts "should have come on the bike."

If you buy an engine guard for your Freewheeler, be sure to buy the bolts and steering damper bracket.

Thanks now I understand…The part wasn’t From Harley Davidson…But from an outside vendor who was the bad guy …Your post made it sound like Harley Davidson was the bad guy….?

No, I'm not saying or implying that anybody is a bad guy. The vendor says the bolts should have come with the bike, so I'm asking if anyone else with a '22 Freewheeler has those bolts? The vendor has been making these backrests for years and he said he doesn't include the bolts in the parts bag because they are already on the bike.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png