Avon Trike tires disappear?

Oct 9, 2019
Lesho
Haven't been on for awhile. Probably could use a new front tire and note that the Avon trike tire seems to be not available anywhere. Any ideas why? Any good substitutes? 2006 Goldwing w/RS conversion...

I have seen one Avon trike tire that the belt came loose creating big lumps in the tire.

I have heard of a couple more.

I don't know if there is a recall or if they have stopped production.

But the should until they figure out what is going on.

How recent have you heard about the described issue?

I have seen one Avon trike tire that the belt came loose creating big lumps in the tire.

I have heard of a couple more.

I don't know if there is a recall or if they have stopped production.

But the should until they figure out what is going on.

How recent was the described defect mentioned?

I have one mounted to my original wheel with less than 500 miles on it. From day one it had a buzz in it that rebalancing could not correct. So, I put a 19-inch front wheel on it with a new tire and the problem went away.

I was looking for one as well but unoptainium… I opted for a rear D402 mounted backwards . No issues at all … just did 2 mountain trips and tons of interstate and was very smooth.

I, too, was looking for an Avon when my front needed replacing on my 2008 CSC Trike. My servicing dealer, whom I trust, talked me into installing a Michelin Commander-3 instead. He said he would install an Avon if I really wanted it, but they have not had very good experiences with them. Not everybody is unhappy, but many have had vibration and noise issues. So many so that he could not recommend the Avon.

Now after over 5,000 miles on the Commander-3, I am happy. I have been in just about every riding condition except snow. Mountain twisties, high heat deserts, heavy thunderstorms, high speed interstate, ETC. The tire is holding up very well. No signs of cupping. No noise or vibration. I have never felt anything but sure-footed confidence in the tire. The tire I replace this with was a Michelin Pilot Activ rear MC tire running backwards. The MPA lasted for good miles but it cupped early on and had a somewhat harsh ride. I think that was probably due to the stiffer construction of a rear MC tire. I do run 41-42 PSI in all my front tires.

Unless something drastically happens, I will replace the front with another Commander-3 when the time comes. Hope this helps..... Jim

The Commander 3 appears to be a bias ply tire? And you run a rear mounted backwards? Why a rear tire and not just a front tire mounted backwards?

The Commander 3 appears to be a bias ply tire? And you run a rear mounted backwards? Why a rear tire and not just a front tire mounted backwards?

No. I run a Commander-3 front tire mounted correctly. Previously I ran an MPA REAR on the front mounted backwards. Jim

Well, I have a Dunlop Elite 3 on now and gotten good service but it is 6 years old. Will likely stay with a Dunlop Elite 4. I may go with a Bridgestone G709 as they are much cheaper and I do know it will wear quicker. The Elite 4 is really getting expensive.

Rear tires have a flatter profile than fronts so there is more thread on the ground.The extra tread depth is an added bonus.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png