• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Lawrence Mass Newbie - Worried a bit

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 71-year old guy living In Lawrence, MA. My wife passed away 2-1/2 years ago. Thinking that a trike will be some fun. I'm taking my riding class in Easton, MA tomorrow and Sunday. I haven't decided on a type of trike but I like the Can-Am's that Alexis showed me at MOM's in North Chelmsford.

I rode a Honda 350 and a Kawasaki 500 about 40-years ago. Never got my license.

I met a wonderful lady a few months back and she is excited about riding.

Any advice? I'm really worried about service. I've read that Can-Am's have "electrical/computer" problems. I know enough about vehicles today that I'm scared of computer issues.

Any advice is appreciated. New? Used? Warranty? Make?

Thanks,

John

John, welcome from San Antonio, TX. I decided to go with a Harley because of the number of places that provide service and I had so much fun on the 2-wheel Harleys that I owned previously.

I personally like the Freewheeler, but you may like a Tri Glide because it is more suited to 2 up. I suggest you test ride various makes and models. Be sure to take your lady along before you buy to be sure she is comfortable on the back seat. Sounds like you have a plan.

Hi,

I'm a 71-year old guy living In Lawrence, MA. My wife passed away 2-1/2 years ago. Thinking that a trike will be some fun. I'm taking my riding class in Easton, MA tomorrow and Sunday. I haven't decided on a type of trike but I like the Can-Am's that Alexis showed me at MOM's in North Chelmsford.

Any advice? I'm really worried about service. I've read that Can-Am's have "electrical/computer" problems. I know enough about vehicles today that I'm scared of computer issues.

Thanks,

John

John Welcome to Trike Talk👍👍…. If you can afford it Buy a new trike with the full warranty that’s my advice… and from what you described the Cam-Am might be the easiest one for your First Trike… And so as with any new trike purchase make sure you get a reputable dealer…

New trike purchase

John, welcome from San Antonio, TX. I decided to go with a Harley because of the number of places that provide service and I had so much fun on the 2-wheel Harleys that I owned previously.

I personally like the Freewheeler, but you may like a Tri Glide because it is more suited to 2 up. I suggest you test ride various makes and models. Be sure to take your lady along before you buy to be sure she is comfortable on the back seat. Sounds like you have a plan.

John, I’m 78 and TOTALLY agree with THE LADY on a Mission, also dealer locations in/near your area/your home MUST really be considered!

Hope you pursue your quest and ENJOY YOUR RIDE!!!!!

:Coffee:

Hi John, :welcome: to Trike Talk

Ride all the models you can find first, have your lady go with ( making her comfy will be a big plus)

Think new, you will have peace knowing you have a warranty

Think about service, ( is the one you pick supported by a good dealer network?)

Good luck in your search

Hi John Welcome

Both the Can Am and Harleys will have issues over time 6 of one half a dozen of another

Both can also be very nice machines

Do some home work on the local dealers and test ride both some

Then make your decision based on what "YOU" like

Sorry to hear of your loss - and excited to hear that you have found some new joy.

Welcome to trike talk - the guys here are very knowledgeable and a lot of fun. Now, if the new friend is 23 years old, no bike will make your dreams come true.

Other than that, take the advice of many here - just ride a number of bikes and see what fits both of you. The cam-am is a great machine. Did you like what you saw? Does that design meet your needs.

Start off right - ASK Her - then go from there.

Whatever you do, enjoy

Welcome to the forums John, good advice from all above.

John welcome aboard. To buy new or used depends a lot on your financial situation. For peace of mind and a warrantee new is the way to go if you can afford. Used carries o lot of possible issues. Why is it used? Just traded because they wanted something newer or because there was an issue that they just did not want to deal with.

You already have had great advise. Also take into consideration are you going to be touring or just basically staying local. That brings in the dealer network if you're touring.

Good Luck

Hi John Welcome to TrikeTalk. So sorry for your loss. I lost my wife of 39 years 15 years ago. Buy the newest Spyder you can afford. If you are going to travel on it (I do, alot) get an RT. If you are just going to cruise around town and maybe take day trips to nearby sights, you might be better off on an F3. Find a dealer that has several different models in stock and at least sit on them to see what fits. Good luck on your search. BTW I am 76 and still ride as much as I can. Rode up to Washington State to the 3 rivers this summer.

My experience......

I put 30K miles on a converted V-twin Stratoliner, and so far have almost 50K on my 2017 F3-Limited Spyder. My thoughts are, my converted Statoliner was my Cadillac and my Spyder is my Corvette. If passenger comfort is important, I would go the conventional trike style, two wheels in back. My feelings from my experiences......

Did OP purchase anything?

Hi,

Thanks,

John

I wonder if the OP purchased anything?

I just purchased my new to me 2020 Can Am RT Limited - upgraded from my 2016 F3 Limited.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png