Stallion Tires - Re-shoeing your Steed

Jul 6, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Stallion Rear Shoes<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
If you wondered about how much it will run to re-shoe your steed here is some interesting information:<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
My Stallion came with BF Good Rich G force TA KDW 245-55-ZR 18's. You may ask yourself (like I did) what kind of car takes those tires? <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
Well is it a Corvette? - ............NO<br /><br /><br />
Ranger - ...............................NO<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
You would have to keep guessing until - you got to a Mercury Marauder (which was only made in 2004 & 2005). :eek:<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
But wait it gets better, as it is only for the rear tires Marauder, the front tires took the more common BF Good Rich G force TA KDW 235-50-ZR 18's! <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
One word for TBMS - WHY? Why pick such a rare rubber tire? If possible we would like as much choice possible for replacement parts. I personally would like to see tires that I can choose from several brands and styles.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
The good news was they did not seem to cost any more than a comparable tire of that rating and quality. I was able to find one for $208.70.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
And TBMS had one for $300+.<br />
<br />
The bad news was no one had them in stock locally.

After a little searching my tire shop located one in GA, and will have it shipped to me. I was also told they they are not in production and will not be for a few months. <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
TBMS had indicated that they had shipped some Stallions with another tire which was a Michellan 225-60-18. This was a much narrower tire but it had the same profile height.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
I considered using the more common BF Good Rich G force TA KDW 235-50-ZR 18's, and the price at Tire Rack.com was $84.00 each for almost the identical tire. I had to use a tire calculator to determine that the size would be a little different, in that this tire would be .675" lower to the ground. I could not use my old one, and a new one that was smaller, so it would not work for me. I also considered the lower ground clearance on what is already a low trike, and the fact that it will distort the speedometer reading to read slightly faster that I was actually going, with diminished gas mileage to boot. If that was not enough, TBMS was totally against any changes to the tire size for all the same reasons, and more.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
The only plus side would be faster pick-up off the line, but when you weigh all the cons, you will quickly see this slightly smaller tire is not the way to go.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
So here is the nugget buried deep in this thread: If you are about to re-shoe your steed you need to start looking for the tires, as they may be a little difficult to find. Production on the wider more desirable tire is not constant, and you only have one tire to choose from if you want the wider better performing tire.<br />
<br />
I would suggest buying on-line a few months before you need to change them to ensure the best price and no last minute surprises.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
I was not able to get in touch with my dealer to see if they had any spare tires for sale. It would be a great service to have extra tires on hand for sale if you have a dealership, especially since due to my destroyed rear tire I am going to miss riding in he mountains on the peak leaf color weekend.

I am a little more than disappointed, as I purchased my Stallion with this weekend in mind!<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
Either way, I hope you find this information interesting and informative.

Last edited:
My recollection is that the Stallion weighs about 1700#. If correct, the load rating of the tire is not important therefore one could substitute a variety of tires/wheels for the ones the vehicle was delivered wearing. If the speedometer/odometer is reasonably accurate, the diameter of the mounted tire is the limiting factor. Given the light weight of the vehicle, a tire with a 245 or even a 225 cross section is <u>wide</u> and <u>might</u> contribute to hydroplaning. Likewise, a tire/wheel combination with a taller aspect ratio could improve the ride quality. Finally, a 15" or 16" wheel offers the option of using several more tires than are available in the 18" size, and usually at lower cost.

So, what kind of mileage should one expect to get out of a set of tires? Any reasonable data available on that, yet?

My 09 unit, #533 came with Michelin 225/60/18 on rear and a BF Goodrich 205/60/16 on front.<br />
<br />
Does anyone else have these tires? It is beginning to appear that TBMS has NO consistancy on tires? I wonder why not.<br />
<br />
I have found the Michelin tires on the Discount Tire website for $162., but never checked to see how available they are. Several other brands in the rear size are listed too. There are several choices for the front 205/60/16 priced from $60 to $107.<br />
<br />
I may check with discount tire on availabity, but dont think it will be a big problem to find replacements.

My stallion #349 has the following tires

Front - BFGoodrich Traction T/A P205/60R 16 $76 at tirerack
Rear - BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDWS 245/55ZR 18 $168 at tirerack

Currently 7000 miles with no obvious wear. I run 42 lbs in the front and 24 lbs in the rear.

Front and Rear both perform well in the rain.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png