Not starting in gear.

Reaction score
New to me 2015 Freewheeler.

Went to start the bike, for a ride, no start. Was in gear, with clutch engaged.

With bike in neutral, clutch engaged, bike started.

Bike has hydraulic clutch.

Did notice previous owner had grips changed out.

Went for ride, stopped at gas station, same scenario.

Anything special to start looking for / looking at?

Thanks.

If the grips are bigger in diameter it is possible the clutch switch is not contacting, you are applying the brake when starting in gear with the clutch pulled in right?

New to me 2015 Freewheeler.

Went to start the bike, for a ride, no start. Was in gear, with clutch engaged.

With bike in neutral, clutch engaged, bike started.

Bike has hydraulic clutch.

Did notice previous owner had grips changed out.

Went for ride, stopped at gas station, same scenario.

Anything special to start looking for / looking at?

Thanks.

You must apply the brakes....Before it will start in gear even with the clutch engaged...

It is like it or not....A safety requirement....All my tri glides were/are that way and even my side-by sides are...

It just takes time to learn the little things. I've had my FLRT trike for right at a month and just had a similar experience. Was getting ready to leave work, turned on the ignition, engaged the clutch, put it in first gear, and hit the start button. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. How did my battery die? But all the lights are on and looking normal. On a hunch, I shifted from first back into neutral. Hit the starter ... fired right up. Lesson learned. :laugh:

Did not apply brake when starting.

Will try that tomorrow.

Thanks, glad I joined the group.

If you do not have any service records for your FLRT, you need to stay on top of clutch fluid flushes and brake fluid flushes.

The MOCO recommends every 2 years, get yourself one of these, it will tell you for sure if your fluid is bad( could be sooner than the 2 year range)

fe3bc795-0d35-40f8-9511-46da0600a83e.5139efdb4fbf9d937527907756aded7e.jpeg

If you do not have any service records for your FLRT, you need to stay on top of clutch fluid flushes and brake fluid flushes.

The MOCO recommends every 2 years, get yourself one of these, it will tell you for sure if your fluid is bad( could be sooner than the 2 year range)

Got one a couple weeks ago and tried it on my Jeep. Seems to work as advertised. Cheap insurance.

Why is this such an issue ?

It was never needed on my other bikes

My cars have never had this done

I agree…. But there’s something about personal toys like bikes trikes etc that some people just have to Get up close and personal with it and have every gadget possible so to get up close and personal with it… Not that there’s anything wrong with that!..

THere are a lot of theories out there that may be more than just that

IMO, HD screwed up with the hydraulic clutch system, but would never admit it

No one should run a system like HD did so close to an exhaust system, in theory the added heat causes bubbles of gas in the fluid causing the piston in the actuator to fail prematurely

This would be bad JUJU for the MOCO, so starting in early 17 they had a recall on some models to retrofit a new piston and seal

Prior to that they had a recall on the clutch master cylinder and lever

But the biggest thing IMO to cover their ongoing problem was to put in the owner's manual service requirements to flush the system every 2 years

This is just my opinion on the MOCO mistakes

I recently learned that I had to apply the brake.

My bike is a 2021 Ultra; in May 2022, I converted it to a trike - CSC conversion. All still started without hitting the brake.

Recently, took my bike in to add the TMPS - to do so, dealer had to tell the bike that it is now a trike. When they did, I now have to hit the brake to start.

Also noticed that we lost the cruise - so, bike is back in the shop to see what caused this.

Have to admit I'm not much of a mechanic to be changing all fluids, comfortable with oil changes.

Was good when my son in law lived nearby, he owned many a Harley.

The bike came with a complete, detailed print out of all services performed on the bike, from milage 0.

I put all loose change, at the end of the day, into a jar to help cover the cost of bringing the bike to the dealer for work :laugh:.

Have to admit I'm not much of a mechanic to be changing all fluids, comfortable with oil changes.

Was good when my son in law lived nearby, he owned many a Harley.

The bike came with a complete, detailed print out of all services performed on the bike, from milage 0.

I put all loose change, at the end of the day, into a jar to help cover the cost of bringing the bike to the dealer for work :laugh:.

👍👍…..

Mystery Tool

OK, gotta ask...what is this instrument? I deduce from comments that it's used to check hydraulic/brake fluid to measure moisture..but what is it?

Thanks, Bill

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png