New accessory for my trike

Reaction score
PXL_20221107_033300798.jpg

I own an Ice Bear Trifecta. It runs on a GY6 150cc motor, a fairly common motor on Chinese-built small motorcycles and trikes.

Because of its rather small wheelbase and stiff shocks, it has an unforgiving ride. Jittery. Every small bounce makes it feel like the bike is bucking left or right.

Riding the trike on smooth pavement is no problem. Riding it offroad at a slow pace is also easy, because of its wide tires and light weight. However, riding the trike at normal speed on bumpy roads is sketchy. It feels like I'm going to bounce right out of my seat. With the open frame design, there's nothing for my knees to clutch. And because of the saddle's convex shape, it's hard to stay centered - it's a constant battle to not slip left or right off the sloped seat. Leaning into a turn is laughable, how can I lean when there's nothing holding me in place? If I lean, my butt slips right off! (Equal and opposite reaction.) It's all I can do to simply maintain my posture and to avoid being tossed off the trike from the centripetal force.

My solution? If you look at the picture you'll see what I added today.

A seatbelt!

I know that installing a seatbelt goes against conventional wisdom. I understand that if my trike ever goes down, I'm exposing myself to the meatgrinder.

However, after riding around today with the new seatbelt on, I can say that my fear of being thrown from the trike has been drastically reduced. With my butt affixed to the seat, I can lean into turns. Most important, since I am no longer threatened with being ejected at a moment's notice, I can relax more.

I am well aware that the trike isn't any more stable with the seatbelt on. I still need to drive cautiously on rutted roads to maintain control. But at least I don't have to worry about falling off the trike, which used to be my primary concern before installing the new seatbelt.

My wife rode one of those for a couple years before she got her Ridley. ( we still own it ... big bore kit and stroker cam )

Since winter is upon us soon ... why don't you have the seat re sculpted to fit your butt print?

Almost any upholstery shop can do this for a reasonable fee.

I know there is lots of room above the seat pan to make this happen.

I would think that will be a safer option ....

Morton

I also have a good friend that added a SEAT BELT TO HIS GOLDWING TRIKE............ I like that idea, and presently looking for a seat belt for my wing also....

Ronnie

11/10/22

Does anyone else remember back in the (80's I think) when some goofy congresswoman wanted to have seat belts installed on motorcycles? Thankfully her idea was shot down. But if you'd like to put one on your own bike, more power to ya.

PC

Does anyone else remember back in the (80's I think) when some goofy congresswoman wanted to have seat belts installed on motorcycles? Thankfully her idea was shot down. But if you'd like to put one on your own bike, more power to ya.

PC

Correction....It was Joan Claybrook.....NHTSA Commissioner..70'80's.......??...

Last edited:
I also have a good friend that added a SEAT BELT TO HIS GOLDWING TRIKE............ I like that idea, and presently looking for a seat belt for my wing also....

Ronnie

11/10/22

You know what might work, Take a rachet strap go under the trike hook one hook on your belt by your right hip hook other hook on your belt by left hip & crank that sucker down ? get rear ended my not be bad, hit a car might not be bad, A roll over might be BAD. Let us know how it goes :xzqxz:

A roll over might be BAD.

True. Or a fire right under your butt and you panic trying to find the release.

Trust me on this: I used to work in an oil refinery (making gaso). A small amount of gasoline can make a damn hot fire AND spreads quickly.

Quite often i will see a rider all dressed up in hazmat colors looking like the Michelin Rubber Man with extra blazing lights....And my impression of that is that they are riding-:afraid: A'scared..And maybe they should just buy a Volvo and be done with it.....

Being Cautious thats ok. But looking like a utility worker on a bike :Shrug:...

Sounds like a major safety problem. God forbid you ever have to get off the bike in an emergency, you’re stuck on the bike and subject to whatever peril the bike is about to get into. I think I’d just try to get a smoother riding bike.

Sounds like a major safety problem. God forbid you ever have to get off the bike in an emergency, you’re stuck on the bike and subject to whatever peril the bike is about to get into. I think I’d just try to get a smoother riding bike.

Just my Humble opinion......But!, If someone needs a seat belt to keep them from bouncing off a trike , Maybe they should not be riding a trike that they need to have a seat belt to keep them from bouncing off the trike...

Take it from someone who has owned scooters. 50cc >> 600cc . The icebear is designed as a grocery getter and to get from point a to b . That’s why there cost effective no frills rides. Softer rear springs would make it more enjoyable.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png