• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

How can I put this vintage sidecar to use on a 1500 Goldwing? Need idea's.

Reaction score
How can I put this vintage sidecar to use on a 1500 Goldwing? Need idea's.

I just got this early 80's California Sidecar "Partner" model for free. Unfortunately it's made for a Vespa scooter. It has the scooter type mount. The frame is way to light to use with my wing. I only want to be able to put my dog in it. Even if it turns out just for rides around town.

I talked to sidecarmark and he believes there's just no way to make it work. He's probably right. But..... American ingenuity?....lol.

I've read that a sidecar needs to weigh 1/3 the weight of the bike. Is this a standard rule of thumb, or could it be lighter? It might be hard to get 1/3 weight with this small body?

I have a old Coleman Caboose trailer that I considered taking the body off of and putting this body on it. But then it would be a trailer. And might just be an eye soar. I all ready have a nice Bushtec trailer that I want to use WITH the sidecar. Plus I like the idea of the sidecar next to me to keep an eye Wilton my pup. Hey. I could call him "Sidecar Willy".

Then I've run across a used Tow-Pac Sidepack. It's a sidecar that is just a cargo box. It is made for the 1500 Goldwing. I'm wondering if I could use that? I'm waiting on pics to see what the frame looks like. Any of you guys ever run one of these?

I thought about placing an ad to try and trade this one for one made for my Goldwing. But that might be hard to come up with. I could just sell it. But I think I would come up short on cash. You guys got any clue's as to what this might be worth.

Thanks for any input.

20221108_145726.jpg20221108_145746.jpg20221107_135511.jpg

Attachments

• 6100.jpg
    6100.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 20200510_153044.jpg
    20200510_153044.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 65
You will find that car is tow light duty for a bike that big. Can it be done of course. That does not mean it is a wise move.

It is cool looking and mounted on a much smaller bike might be fun.

I just got this early 80's California Sidecar "Partner" model for free. Unfortunately it's made for a Vespa scooter. It has the scooter type mount. The frame is way to light to use with my wing. I only want to be able to put my dog in it. Even if it turns out just for rides around town.

I talked to sidecarmark and he believes there's just no way to make it work. He's probably right. But..... American ingenuity?....lol.

I've read that a sidecar needs to weigh 1/3 the weight of the bike. Is this a standard rule of thumb, or could it be lighter? It might be hard to get 1/3 weight with this small body?

I have a old Coleman Caboose trailer that I considered taking the body off of and putting this body on it. But then it would be a trailer. And might just be an eye soar. I all ready have a nice Bushtec trailer that I want to use WITH the sidecar. Plus I like the idea of the sidecar next to me to keep an eye Wilton my pup. Hey. I could call him "Sidecar Willy".

Then I've run across a used Tow-Pac Sidepack. It's a sidecar that is just a cargo box. It is made for the 1500 Goldwing. I'm wondering if I could use that? I'm waiting on pics to see what the frame looks like. Any of you guys ever run one of these?

I thought about placing an ad to try and trade this one for one made for my Goldwing. But that might be hard to come up with. I could just sell it. But I think I would come up short on cash. You guys got any clue's as to what this might be worth.

Thanks for any input.

View attachment 110511View attachment 110512View attachment 110513

show some pic of the car frame.. determining factor...

1/3 is a general rule of thumb but that doesnt mean get a 50 lb car and add the difference

the tub doesnt matter much the frame is the issue

doesnt matter what or who u put in it...( i like some dog better than some people)..if the car is too light weight and fails u are still the one driving not to mention the public! certainly if something happened to your dog u wouldnt be happy

just fyi not an arm chair guy. lately my rig is main transportation and over the years have probably mounted 20 ... never even had anyone come back for alignment

thought i had more pic loaded hear o hacks

Attachments

• CIMG0429.JPG
    CIMG0429.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 135
  • CIMG0430.JPG
    CIMG0430.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 135
  • CIMG0406.JPG
    CIMG0406.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 137
  • CIMG0428.JPG
    CIMG0428.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 37
  • KZ SHOP.jpg
    KZ SHOP.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 42
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 135
  • left f.jpg
    left f.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 38
  • r rear 2.jpg
    r rear 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 38
I was told that the body of the California sidecar models partner and commuter are basically the same. But the frame on the commuter is bigger for up to a 650cc bike. It also has a bigger tire and fender.

I thought I could just have a bigger frame made by someone who knows what they are doing, assuming I could find someone. But was told the body is just too light for this bike? It's just sad if I have to get rid of this one,,,lol.

California_Sidecar_models_5_diff.26281239_std.jpg

Mine is a partner with a vespa mount.

20221106_174819.jpg20221106_174836.jpg20221107_075621.jpg20221107_075628.jpg20221107_075633.jpg

Now would be a great time to check out DMC before he sell the inventory off. may find a deal on Sidecar more fitting for the bike and ready to go.

Or one of his unpainted discounted ones.

You're going to have to invest some money in it, and since you said it's mostly for your dog and maybe just around town, another direction to look might be a small bike or scooter to match the sidecar. You could then dabble in sidecars to see if you like them without changing your Goldwing.

You're going to have to invest some money in it, and since you said it's mostly for your dog and maybe just around town, another direction to look might be a small bike or scooter to match the sidecar. You could then dabble in sidecars to see if you like them without changing your Goldwing.

good idea

My bet is - anything can be done for a price. Question is - for the price, could you get a more suitable sidecar?

Touch,sawsall, welder some cash and time anything can be done. Somethings should not be.

That is a cool sidecar and it would be really cool to have on the right bike or scooter.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

But it's all over but the crying now. I just SOLD it!! I got enough that I can put with it to get something more suitable.

I'm seeing different California Friendship 1, 2, or 3 models out there. Would a friendship 1 be a good choice for my 1500 Goldwing?

Thanks for all the replies guys.

But it's all over but the crying now. I just SOLD it!! I got enough that I can put with it to get something more suitable.

I'm seeing different California Friendship 1, 2, or 3 models out there. Would a friendship 1 be a good choice for my 1500 Goldwing?

Friendship is a great sidecar - so is Hannigan

UPDATE:

I got a fantastic deal on this one. I sold the other for enough to pay for this one and gas money to go get it.

View attachment 110637

You done well. Buying sell trading sidecars is often a losing deal. The one you had did have value to the right person.

Small light bike it would be cool to have.

Good luck with the install of the one you have now. Take your time no short cuts.

You done well. Buying sell trading sidecars is often a losing deal. The one you had did have value to the right person.

Small light bike it would be cool to have.

Good luck with the install of the one you have now. Take your time no short cuts.

Yup. The guy that bought it had the Vespa scooter it was meant to go on. He didn't blink an eye at my $1200 asking price.

I don't have the new one installed yet as I'm waiting on manuals, and a lean switch box. Do you happen to know how I can test the lean motor? It has 2 wire's. Are both hot and the motor grounds through the frame? Can I test it with just a battery?

Yup. The guy that bought it had the Vespa scooter it was meant to go on. He didn't blink an eye at my $1200 asking price.

I don't have the new one installed yet as I'm waiting on manuals, and a lean switch box. Do you happen to know how I can test the lean motor? It has 2 wire's. Are both hot and the motor grounds through the frame? Can I test it with just a battery?

ECC is simple they either work or don't. The switch is a basic two toggle . Don't go with with some cheap plastic one. Get one rated for 30 amps.

Before wiring anything to you bike test every wire

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png